SOOO SORE

Options
Im on day 3 of working out and im very sore. I woke up this morning to start my 30 day shred and barley made it through. BUT I DID IT!! :) I feel great and proud of myself for completing day 1. Every muscle on my body is sore starting 3 days ago. I waddle my happy butt into work and smile through the pain. Hehe. Havent worked out in years....like since highschool...im 28. When will the soreness subside and is there anything i can do to relieve this?

Replies

• km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Take a hot bath. It'll get better in a few days or so.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Walk it off....I find that if I'm super sore, walking a bit helps ease it. The first couple of steps hurt a bit but then it gets easier. Have you heard the quote "pain is weakness leaving the body"? Makes me smile...
  • Shapingupforlife
    Shapingupforlife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Start taking amino acids & glutamine. Do dynamic stretches to warm up and static stretches to cool down. The most important things in my opinion are diet... get that protein in--a good post workout shake, stretching for a good amount of time and taking a good supplement for recovery! Even then though- soreness happens... I'm sore after a good workout too.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Perhaps scale it back a tad? If you're *that* sore - depending on your current physical condition - you may also be overdoing it a bit.
  • stewartmisty88
    stewartmisty88 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body" <3
    I do understand and know that being sore is part of the process. Not complaining by nooo means at all. I maybe overdoing it just a little but im a competitor and will push push push. My physical condition is very poor...but how would you scale back on the 30 day shred? Its all BALLS TO THE WALL lol Ice, warm baths and maybe a pain reliever? Loving every bit of my soreness <3
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I actually enjoy being sore. I know it's technically is not an indication of anything other then you used your muscles in a way they weren't used too...but for me it's kind of like a badge of honor. Especially after a few years of routine exercise it's very rare for me to actually get sore. I started PHUL last week and the squat/deadlift day absolutely destroyed my lower body. Like grimace going up stairs type sore and in a sick sort of way I love it... :smiley:
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    all I can say is the soreness is normal. It will be less and less the more you stay consistent. If you take too long of a break, you will be sore all over again. I sometimes dont work out for a week sometimes two weeks, oh boy, I pay for those breaks in the end.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I've heard pickles are good for soreness and cramping. Even if it doesn't work, you still get to eat delicious pickles!
  • Dan_NY_27
    Dan_NY_27 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    day 3? so 2 days after your first workout? that typically is the worst day especially when you first start out. You will continue to be sore post workout but the it won't be anywhere near as bad unless you hit a muscle group you haven't worked out yet. If you ever are not sore at all then its probably time to step up your workout.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm in bits as well at the moment. Hadn't done any exercise for three weeks due to a back injury. I just started back on Tuesday and went last night as well. But omg I'm in pain right now! 48 hours after definitely is the worst time. It's good pain though, well done!
  • stewartmisty88
    stewartmisty88 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    3 consecutive days! My goal is to work past the soreness and continue with an EVERYDAY wrkout. Sitting here wishing my butt muscles were sore too hahaha Those squats are def. working my legs. Pickles sound yummyyyy. I always drank pickle juice to restore electrolites after a night of binge drinking.
  • jpena412
    jpena412 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Funny I'm in the same boat. I mix it up between the 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30. Almost didn't work out yesterday (Almost!) because of the soreness and slightly dreading today. I just keep telling myself, do the workout, even if I can't complete all the exercises because my muscles are "tired" something is better than nothing
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    jpena412 wrote: »
    Funny I'm in the same boat. I mix it up between the 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30. Almost didn't work out yesterday (Almost!) because of the soreness and slightly dreading today. I just keep telling myself, do the workout, even if I can't complete all the exercises because my muscles are "tired" something is better than nothing

Just wanted to quickly chime in. I am ALL for pushing your body to get results, I think that is how we truly make change. But if your soreness is actually pain....then you probably need to take a day or 2 off. Listen to your body. What you dont want is to get an injury, pull or tear a muscle because you just overworked it too much. Then you are out for a while. Drink plenty of water, stretch, stretch, stretch.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Im on day 3 of working out and im very sore. I woke up this morning to start my 30 day shred and barley made it through. BUT I DID IT!! :) I feel great and proud of myself for completing day 1. Every muscle on my body is sore starting 3 days ago. I waddle my happy butt into work and smile through the pain. Hehe. Havent worked out in years....like since highschool...im 28. When will the soreness subside and is there anything i can do to relieve this?

Usually takes 2-3 days recovery when your muscles haven't been worked in a while. Foam rollers are excellent, along with hot baths and BCAA's.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I find that if I do about half an hour of yoga after it helps tremendously. People also suggest foam rollers to massage your sore muscles.
  • YukiAnu
    YukiAnu Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Definitely do a good set of deep stretching before and after your workout and that will help a ton. You'll still be sore, but I find that I can at least function if I've done my stretches.