Apple cider vinegar drink?

Replies

• folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    The article I saw referenced says those taking something like 2 tablespoons or teaspoons (can't remember but not a lot) saw an additional 2 lb weight loss. They supposedly used a double blind study for this. And as soon as they stopped drinking the vinegar those extra 2 lbs came back. Saw this on CNN.com and didn't really look into it further. Drinking or eating vinegar every day isn't really my thing, at least, not for 2 whole lbs LOL.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    folgers86 wrote: »
    The article I saw referenced says those taking something like 2 tablespoons or teaspoons (can't remember but not a lot) saw an additional 2 lb weight loss. They supposedly used a double blind study for this. And as soon as they stopped drinking the vinegar those extra 2 lbs came back. Saw this on CNN.com and didn't really look into it further. Drinking or eating vinegar every day isn't really my thing, at least, not for 2 whole lbs LOL.

This? http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/22/health/apple-cider-vinegar-benefits/
  • Naptownbabi
    Naptownbabi Posts: 256 Member
    edited January 2017
    Things apple cider vinegar works for:
    Salad dressings (yum)
    Pulled pork (double yum!)

Things apple cider vinegar does not work for:
    Creating a calorie deficit
    Weight loss

I thought it was good for catching fruit flies as well.

Oh, the fruit fly thing is so awesome, had them bad over the summer. Gone in a night.
  • Joshuakilgore
    Joshuakilgore Posts: 12 Member
    I tried this once. After downing it 20 seconds later I had my head in the toilet. It's pretty bad.
  • jillrules169
    jillrules169 Posts: 56 Member
    Well, the taste hasn't bothered me or made me feel sick at all. It's obviously not the tastiest drink in the world lol... but I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on this acv thing.. so I'm still on the fence. Regardless, I'll still drink my water to fill up more before eating, and do my workouts each week!
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    I've used it when I feel a cold coming on. Just a tablespoon in a cup of warm water and chug.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! This helps my research a lot !

Read Jason Fung's book, "The Obesity Epidemic". It has several references to medical studies that he says shows that ACV does help in weight loss. It is supposed to reduce insulin levels significantly. All these people say no but don't back it up with anything. It is much easier to get down mixing it with tart cherry juice.

For sure a calorie deficit will work every time, but that doesn't mean other things can't help.

That's not how this works. Claims brought up without evidence can summarily dismissed without evidence. The burden of proof is on those who make unfounded claims to provide the proper evidence to support those claims and not the other way around.

As for ACV, hey no harm in enjoying it on your fries like I do but I don't expect it to be anything more than a delicious condiment.

A claim that is doesn't do any good is a claim too and there hasn't been evidence there either. I did supply links to evidence. You even replied back with it in the quote. I'm not sure if it helps or not but some think it does and have provided evidence.
  • blambo61
    edited January 2017
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! This helps my research a lot !

Read Jason Fung's book, "The Obesity Epidemic". It has several references to medical studies that he says shows that ACV does help in weight loss. It is supposed to reduce insulin levels significantly. All these people say no but don't back it up with anything. It is much easier to get down mixing it with tart cherry juice.

For sure a calorie deficit will work every time, but that doesn't mean other things can't help.

Fung believes and espouses all kinds of silly junk science things about diet/weight loss, so it doesn't surprise me at all that he believes apple cider vinegar will help you lose weight too. Anything to sell a book and make some money.

Easy to just dismiss it. I don't know if it works or not but I do know Fung supplied references. Unless Fung is lying, his methods have been successful in treating a lot of type II diabetics.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Well, the taste hasn't bothered me or made me feel sick at all. It's obviously not the tastiest drink in the world lol... but I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on this acv thing.. so I'm still on the fence. Regardless, I'll still drink my water to fill up more before eating, and do my workouts each week!

Where are you seeing mixed reviews... not here, the responses have been overwhelmingly stating correctly that this will do nothing to help with weight loss.
  • blambo61
    edited January 2017
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Where are you seeing mixed reviews... not here, the responses have been overwhelmingly stating correctly that this will do nothing to help with weight loss.

Why do you say that? What is your basis? I don't know either way but most here have stated emphatically no it doesn't make a difference but have provided nothing to back it up whereas I at least provided some references.
  • humpbackgirl
    humpbackgirl Posts: 63 Member
    apple cider drinks are good, there's one i get from the store that tastes like concord grape. but they are a gimmick. a tasty gimmick
  • blambo61
    apple cider drinks are good, there's one i get from the store that tastes like concord grape. but they are a gimmick. a tasty gimmick

Why do you say it is a gimmick?
  • yokii29
    yokii29 Posts: 13 Member
    Hi I heard that apple vinegar is support be good for you. So need some research on it and true. Apple cider vinegar can help you lose weight. The acetic acid it contains helps to suppress your appetite, increase your metabolism and reduce water retention — a great combo if you’re looking to lose a few pounds.. It has other great benefits.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    yokii29 wrote: »
    Hi I heard that apple vinegar is support be good for you. So need some research on it and true. Apple cider vinegar can help you lose weight. The acetic acid it contains helps to suppress your appetite, increase your metabolism and reduce water retention — a great combo if you’re looking to lose a few pounds.. It has other great benefits.

No.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    yokii29 wrote: »

Can you provide this research please.

World governments who spend billions on obesity related issues would love to know about this magic weight loss vinegar.

Your research was a Facebook info-graphic created in MS-Paint wasn't it?