13 healthy foods that will make you fat.

Options
2»

Replies

• mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Gah, damnit. I like everything on that list. Please let me keep the sushi!!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Wait...so if I have the tempura roll drenched in spicy mayo it's not healthy?

Seriously. Of course I avoid these options at the sushi place. Spicy tuna rolls and avocado rolls = 500 calories total. GREAT for a treat lunch.
  • kathrynkatana
    kathrynkatana Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Good article.

I know alot of people might be up in arms about that, but I don't take any article like this completely serious. But it good to stop and think about what you are eating, even with labels such as veggie burger, healthy food or natural. Reading the label is important to really understanding what you are eating.

Take the article as a reminder that things aren't always what they seem. :happy:
  • perceptualobfuscator
    perceptualobfuscator Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    This article is kind of silly. Some of the foods listed here aren't unhealthy, they're just high calorie or are listed with add-ons like massive amounts of cream cheese, dressing or mayo. Things like dried fruit or granola aren't unhealthy so much as they are high calorie. These kind of high calorie, nutrient rich, lightweight foods are useful for high-intensity hiking, canoeing, or other activities where you need to minimize the weight you carry but are burning a lot of calories. In this context, they are extremely healthy.

As for veggie burgers being 1000 calories, dream on!! The most I've seen is 600, and that was at a restaurant where the burger in question was enormous. Usually they are under 200 for the patty, and maybe 350 altogether. Wraps at 300? I've never seen one over 200. Too much butter or sugar in the recipe? Cut down on it. Want a healthy salad? Don't smother it in cheese and dressing. It's not rocket science, here.

I agree with a few items, like bottled tea and microwave meals, but including things like tofu on here is just stupid. Maybe the author doesn't know how to prepare it properly?

Additionally, as someone who consistently fails to get enough fat in her diet, I'd like to say that just because something has fat in it doesn't mean it's unhealthy. Fat is good for you, in the right quality and quantity.

To reiterate, the foods themselves aren't unhealthy; the people preparing them are. The list is picking and choosing exceptions, and therefore fails to be useful.
  • dopehat
    dopehat Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Good article but I do think there is a lot of it that's just logic. I mean, a salad with dressing etc is obviously going to be high calorie. Although I do think that this article will be helpful for a lot of people, especially "beginners."