Starting Monday!

Options
Plan on starting The Keto Diet on Monday. Pretty excited about it. Trying to get rid of this baby weight that I've been holding onto for nine months. If anyone has tips for getting started I would greatly appreciate them.

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Why did you choose keto? A sensible calorie deficit is much more sustainable.
  • amcgilbert2016
    amcgilbert2016 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been counting calories with no results. Before I had my son I did paleo and I felt and looked amazing. So I thought that trying this would be a good restart for my body.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Do you think that would be a sustainable way of eating for you? Will you be cutting out a lot of foods that you love?

Not trying to discourage you, but I think it's important to think of these things. Keto is not required for weight loss - only a calorie deficit is. If you think that you can sustain LCHF long enough to lose weight and learn the habits needed to maintain that weight loss, that's great. But if you're cutting out a bunch of foods that you like just because you read that it was a good diet to follow, the chances of you being able to sustain that way of eating are much slimmer.

I would suggest reading up on some of the stickied posts at the top of the forums, starting with this one, and making your decision based off of your reading: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I've been counting calories with no results. Before I had my son I did paleo and I felt and looked amazing. So I thought that trying this would be a good restart for my body.

Why aren't you still doing paleo?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options

Then you weren't really cutting calories. It is impossible to not lose weight if you eat at a deficit. Try it again and be honest with yourself. Track everything and weigh it if you must (to be completely accurate).
  • amcgilbert2016
    Options
    I eat under 1300 calories a day so I should be losing weight. I track everything that I eat but I have not been weighing my food. That would probably do the trick instead of eyeballing it.
  • amcgilbert2016
    Options

I don't know why I stopped doing paleo. I guess after having my son I got lazy.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I eat under 1300 calories a day so I should be losing weight. I track everything that I eat but I have not been weighing my food. That would probably do the trick instead of eyeballing it.

If you're eyeballing I bet you're not eating 1300 calories. Once I started to weigh my food I was shocked. That banana that looked medium size is actually xl and double the calories. *sigh*. Weigh everything.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

I agree with @AngInCanada - you are probably eating more than you think.

I would start with the food scale and go from there. If you enjoy eating LCHF, there's no reason why you couldn't still eat that way. But you can still eat at a calorie surplus eating that way, so tracking calories accurately is important. :smile:
  • crzycatlady1
    edited January 2017
    Options

It seems like you're jumping from one fad diet to another? It will be more sustainable to make realistic changes that you're going to be able to stick with for the next 20, 30, 40+ years. Weight loss means nothing if you can't maintain the loss :)

eta: just read your other post and yeah if you're not weighing your food than you have no idea how many calories you're actually eating. I'm almost 4 years into maintenance and I still use my food scale daily! It's sooo easy to overestimate on portion sizes which can erase any deficit you're trying to create.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

If you're eyeballing I bet you're not eating 1300 calories. Once I started to weigh my food I was shocked. That banana that looked medium size is actually xl and double the calories. *sigh*. Weigh everything.

Yep. I was feeling very smug about the fact I was only eating half a medium baked potato. Right up until I weighed it. That 'medium' spud was actually an extremely large one.
  • amcgilbert2016
    Options
    I guess my biggest issue is that with just calorie counting I feel like I can eat anything as long as I stay under my calories. I should probably look at it in a different way. I weigh the same I weighed before I had my son but I obviously look different. My main goal is to tone and lose the extra skin. Cutting carbs helped me do that before so it's really the only way I know how to get results in all honesty.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    I guess my biggest issue is that with just calorie counting I feel like I can eat anything as long as I stay under my calories. I should probably look at it in a different way. I weigh the same I weighed before I had my son but I obviously look different. My main goal is to tone and lose the extra skin. Cutting carbs helped me do that before so it's really the only way I know how to get results in all honesty.

The best way to preserve muscle (and therefore aesthetics) during weight loss is to:
    1. Eat a moderate calorie deficit, aiming for .5 to 1 lb per week loss (so 250-500 calories below maintenance)
    2. Make sure you're getting adequate protein (~.6 - .8 g of protein per pound of body weight)
    3. Start a resistance training program.

Low carb/keto by itself will not preserve muscle mass during weight loss.

And you can eat anything within your calorie goal and still lose weight; you still need to pay attention to your macro/micronutrient goals, though, and make sure you're eating foods that keep you full. You can do all of that and still have treats that you enjoy.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options

If your main goal is to tone and not loose weight, exercise not diet is going to assist you in that. I also agree with everyone else and you are very likely eating more than you think.
    However, the reason I click don this thread was because of the title "Starting Monday!". I always think why put off for later what you can start today? Monday you will be three days in rather than just starting.
  • crzycatlady1
    edited January 2017
    Options

You can. However, you'll find that some foods have higher satiety levels for you (this will vary between people). And then having a varied diet with all sorts of foods will help you hit your macro/micro goals.

I've lost around 50lbs, have improved all my health markers (including stabilizing a high glucose number), and have been successfully maintaining the loss with a bmi of around 21 for several years now. I eat veggies and whole grains every single day-these are the base which I build most of my meals around. But, I also eat fast food, chips and sweet treats-they're just not daily staples and are more of a 3-4 times a week thing. The most important thing is that you find a way of eating that's going to be doable for you, for the long term :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Many here log before hand. Not sure what my dinner will be tonight, but my lunch is in already. Makes it a bit easier to keep on top of it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Pro tip: keep a notepad in the kitchen if you are not pre-logging but are preparing a multi ingredient dish and don't want to touch the phone with dirty fingers. I would sometimes make an elaborate oatmeal dish and log it afterwards, then an hour later remember that I forgot to log an ingredient or how much it weighed. I wonder how many of my days had missing ingredients before the notepad.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Looks like you guys were right. I thought I was logging everything and I wasn't. I guess I tend to forget things when I wait until the end of the day or next morning to log. Haven't even gotten a food scale yet and realize that I have probably been WAY over eating. Today I will log everything as I consume/make it. Thanks for making me have a reality check. Very much appreciated.

At such a low amount of calories I can see no way you'd ever be successful without weighing your food. It would be too easy to go over just by estimating by volume. Do get a food scale, it makes a huge difference. They are cheap on Amazon.com, likely delivered for under $25. Keto is fine if that's what you like, but it won't help you lose weight any faster than CICO in my opinion. Most of the people I know who went paleo, eat a ton of protein and swear it works to lose weight, but if you counted their calories they are in fact at a calorie deficit because they are cutting fat and carbs which cut calories. I say eat what you want within your calorie goals. But that's just me, everyone is different. I just don't buy into the fad diets.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options

Regardless of the diet you choose, consistency is key. Work on the bolded and any diet will do...