Salad Dressings - Help

Replies

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    i take a light Italian and mix it with Frank's Red Hot sauce.
  • sabrina0024
    sabrina0024 Posts: 22 Member
    I like just a little bit of pico de gallo. I saw a friend do this once and thought she was nuts, but then I put it on my salads (typically a garden salad with bleu cheese or feta, craisins, spinach, etc....) and it's delicious. Great flavor, mixes with the ingredients well, and just enough moisture to coat.
  • escalada22
    escalada22 Posts: 191 Member
    I like just a little bit of pico de gallo. I saw a friend do this once and thought she was nuts, but then I put it on my salads (typically a garden salad with bleu cheese or feta, craisins, spinach, etc....) and it's delicious. Great flavor, mixes with the ingredients well, and just enough moisture to coat.

I love making my own homemade pico de gallo too!!! Yummy
  • escalada22
    escalada22 Posts: 191 Member
    dklibert wrote: »
    You can leave the salt out of this recipe. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/04/creamy-cucumber-dressing.html

You could substitute herbs and spice for the dressing mix in this recipe. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/fire-roasted-tomato-dressing.html

That tomato one looks delish! Will be trying that soon!
  • Ahanaz
    Ahanaz Posts: 353 Member
    edited January 2017
    My favorite is probably the honey mustard dressing at subways, about 30cal per serving according to their nutrition table. There are always ways to google for the recipe.
    I also reply to be able to follow
  • mattdhall
    mattdhall Posts: 85 Member
  • shanahz
    shanahz Posts: 261 Member
    I love Opa Greek yogurt dressings. They're in the refrigerated area in the produce section. The ranch and blue cheese dressing are delicious and they're 60 calories for two tablespoons.
  • mejamz1
    mejamz1 Posts: 2 Member
    I make my own dressings when salad is on the menu. The shelf life of the dressing(s) is short, but flavorful. I like to use either evoo, avocado oil, or a nut oil (walnut, almond, Brazil nut, etc...), various herbs, with the juice of red/green/yellow bell pepper, lemon/lime juice, any vinegar without sugar, onion, and roughly chopped garlic. For spice, I add either sliced jalapeno or another spicy pepper, spicy pumpkin seeds, cayenne pepper and or crushed red pepper flakes.
  • ld1374
    ld1374 Posts: 2 Member
    Low fat yogurt with chilli sauce and garlic granules mixed together is really nice.

Recently I've been making my salad and then tipping a cup a soup on top - miso is my favourite plus it's about 20cal, it acts like a dressing and makes it a warm dish which is nice when it's cold!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I second Bolthouse Farms greek yogurt dressings. You will find them in the refridgerated produce section. Usually 35-40 cals for a 2 tbsp serving. My favorite is the Cilantro Avocado. I use it on salads and wraps.

I'll definitely jump on the band wagon for Bolthouse Farms products. They are great, and low calorie. Another one I like is Hendrickson's Sweet Vinegar and Olive Oil dressing. 2 tbsp is about 70 calories but it's so thin it coats the entire salad. Since it has more vinegar and less oil it does tend to not want to stick to the salad though. So part of it gets left in the bottom of the bowl, but it's very high in flavor if you like vinaigrette.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper for me.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    I just ate my salad with sauerkraut. I also will sprinkle a spice blend and chop the salad with an avocado.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Another vote for Bolthouse Farms yogurt-based dressings; but I also like Walden Farms
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Oh, I forgot to mention a simple Nicoise dressing. Oh so yummy and salty.

Mash up one can of anchovies, 3 teaspoons of whole grain mustard, and half a teaspoon of raw sugar or honey. Add the juice of one juicy lemon or a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar. Throw in a tiny bit of minced shallot, add extra virgin olive oil, and shake. Salt and pepper to taste.

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    I really like Olive Garden's light dressing. 30 calories for 2 tablespoons. It has been my go to recently.
  • LisaBarclay69
    LisaBarclay69 Posts: 1 Member
    I love Newmans Own olive oil &a vinegar. Taste like Italian and has almost no sugar. Very few ingredients and nothing artificial.
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Searching for salad dressings and this thread came up. We can't get many of the delicious sounding dressings you have in the US, but I'm happy to make my own. This evening, I'm gonna try 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar mixed with 25g caramalised onion houmous and a good dash of my newest love, sriracha sauce. Can't wait!
  • butcher206
    butcher206 Posts: 61 Member
    Anything "Sesame Soy Ginger" will pack massive flavor, but is always high salt. It's much better to simply use ingredients that taste exceptional by themselves that way you don't need much dressing at all if any.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Homemade. Always homemade.

Lowest calorie + biggest taste = balsamic vinegar