Can too much protien stall out my weight loss?

Options
I am curious if I'm consuming too much protien. I just recently started going to the gym every day. Tues, thurs, and sat, I do Lea Mills Body Pump. Mom, wed, and Fri, I focus on an hour of cardio, and starting next week I will be seeing a personal trainer twice a week. I have lost 5.6 lbs. Current weight is 222.8. Age 31, height 5^4

Replies

• Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Too many calories will stall it. Arguments can be made on the macro percentages. Long term you could probably eat too much. How much are you eating and are you staying around your calorie goal?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay within your calorie goals you are fine.
  • jessandjerry2014
    jessandjerry2014 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My calorie intake ranges between 1200 to 1400 daily. I have a food scale where I weigh my meats and veggies and I have a measuring cup when I have to measure in cups. I do vary from about 80 to 130 grams of protein.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    80 - 130g is not too much and won't impact you negatively. Seems a reasonable range.
  • Stella3838
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've seen suggestions of .6 to .8 grams per kilogram of body weight, so if my math is correct 60 - 80 grams of protein.
  • jessandjerry2014
    Options
    My focus is definitely burning the fat off and building lean muscle. I would like to see that number go down on the scale as well but my main goal is liking what I see in the mirror.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    two things...too many calories stalls weight loss...if it's made up of protein than yes...but it's about calories not macros.

As for how much protein the actual calculation that most use is 0.8 gram per lb of body weight...I try to get about 120grams a day....usually get close if not hit/go over it.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    My focus is definitely burning the fat off and building lean muscle. I would like to see that number go down on the scale as well but my main goal is liking what I see in the mirror.

On this you won't be building muscle except maybe a few oz at first but even that is questionable doing body pump and eating 1200-1400 calories.

But don't let that discourage you...losing fat and maintaining the muscle you have is more important to most anyway.
    version50 wrote: »
    That sounds like a lot of work. Personally, I'm too lazy to actually measure out my food for any sustainable amount of time. I'm pretty comfortable with MFP estimates on nutrition amounts, and if it's off by a couple hundred calories, I think it will average out in my favor over the long haul. I think the conventional focus on protein is a little overdone...you're body can process only so much at a time, typically around 30 grams. I just shoot for a delicious meal with some protein in it (Chicken, Fish, Beef) about the size of my palm, surrounded by veggie sauteed in olive oil. And a pizza every now and then. Gotta enjoy your life!

I would like to see the studies for this....sounds hokey to me.
  • jessandjerry2014
    Options
    So do you think I should change some my of my calories up from protein to carbs?
  • version50
    version50 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There's this thing called Google...

The nice thing, though, is you can choose to believe the hokey studies or not, and just go with what works for you personally.
  • Stella3838
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So do you think I should change some my of my calories up from protein to carbs?

Honestly there isn't a blanket right or wrong. Are you feeling okay with what you eat? Are you within you calorie targets? It's hard for anyone to tell you what to do because of the variables from person to person.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I think that if you like protein eat it.
    If you want to aid in muscle repair eat protein
    I wouldn't worry about getting too much if you are hitting 150g a day...
    version50 wrote: »
    There's this thing called Google...

The nice thing, though, is you can choose to believe the hokey studies or not, and just go with what works for you personally.

Yah but here if you claim something the burden of proof is on you to prove it...assumption now is that it was read in some men's health magazine or some bro science site...kk no worries...we can all be suckers sometimes.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
  • BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Balance is key. And obviously what you like e.g I like carbs more than meat so I have more.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    If you are getting enough carbohydrates to fuel your cardio workouts, then you're probably fine. I've lost weight in the past on low carb high protein diets, but that was before I started running.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with this amount of protein.