Type 1 diabetics???

Options
I'm trying to knock off a couple pounds but dealing with diabetic lows has me throwing back calories constantly.. Any advice/ anyone else???

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Do you have glucotabs available? Use them to bring your sugars up. They are most efficient at the lowest calories.

I'm T2 so hopefully I'm getting the advice right.

The best way to avoid the lows is to adjust your insulin to your carb intake. Eat on a schedule and rigorously watch your portions. Your proteins and your fats will give you the sustained energy you need.
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,712 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I tend to use milk for low blood sugars since glucose tabs are like candy to me (as in I like to eat them.) That being said using tabs is a quick way to get your sugars up but you still need something longer lasting. Are you on a pump or taking shots? If you are taking shots you may need to adjust your insulin down a little. Are you on a sliding scale or how do you adjust your insulin if you are taking shots? I can't help you much with a pump since I don't use one. I only take shots and one thing I've learned over the past 38 years is that when adjusting go down by no more than 2 units and wait a day or two. That will let you average it out. If you are still having lows adjust down another unit or two and go a couple days. It works for me but I'd also talk to your doctor about your plans if you are not comfortable adjusting your insulin that way. (Assuming you are doing the shots and not the pump.)
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The best way to avoid the lows is to adjust your insulin to your carb intake. Eat on a schedule and rigorously watch your portions. Your proteins and your fats will give you the sustained energy you need.
    Actually, the best way to avoid lows is keep your carbohydrate intake low and thus your need for bolus insulin low. The lower the requirement for bolus insulin, the less risk of hypoglycaemia.

Check out what Ron Raab has to say about it here: http://www.diabetes-low-carb.org/

In addition to being a T1 diabetic, he's one of the world's top experts - a past vice-president of the IDF (International Diabetes Federation) and an active member with them for decades now.

If you can reduce carbohydrate a little you'll run fewer hypos and have less need for excess calories.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Actually, the best way to avoid lows is keep your carbohydrate intake low and thus your need for bolus insulin low. The lower the requirement for bolus insulin, the less risk of hypoglycaemia.

Check out what Ron Raab has to say about it here: http://www.diabetes-low-carb.org/

In addition to being a T1 diabetic, he's one of the world's top experts - a past vice-president of the IDF (International Diabetes Federation) and an active member with them for decades now.

If you can reduce carbohydrate a little you'll run fewer hypos and have less need for excess calories.

The book, Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, gets into the same idea. Bernstein's an 80+ year old T1D, and diabetes doctor, who basically invented self testing. He has found that keeping insulin needs low facilitates a normal weight.
  • brookau90
    brookau90 Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Type 1 Diabetic. I started low carb a couple of weeks ago and it has helped my blood sugar and weight! My bg was going up and down and now it's leveled out and maybe drops a little. I just make sure that I eat in between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner! I also backed off my basal.
  • bailers1226
    bailers1226 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started eating low carb and exercising more trying to lose some weight. I find I'm having lows after supper and not sure my exercising is doing anything. Any suggestions?