Trying to pick a gym

Options
I have been eating good and lost some weight but I want to really kick this into overdrive and join a gym. Been making excuses for not joining one yet since I am up at 5 in the morning and leave for work and I'm not back home till 7 or so in the evening. I am trying to decide between Planet Fitness or Max Fitness that are both on my way home in a town close to where I live. Want to find one that offers some classes or training I can utilize. Price between the two is about $5 and I like planet fitness since I can go to other locations

Replies

• missteena88
    missteena88 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you're convinced you need to join a gym to keep you motivated to sticking with it, then by all means. But, why not use the money you would have spent on a membership and make your own fitness center at home? There are tons of cardio and strength training stuff you can do at home with little or no equipment. And that way you can do it whenever is convenient for you and won't waste 30 minutes commuting to/from the gym.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Picking a gym is easy...it must have the equipment and other amenities you want/need. Any gym I will ever go to will predominately consist of free weight and will have an Oly platform and bumper plates, power rack, benches, etc...if those things are missing, it's a deal breaker.
  • rutzsa
    rutzsa Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Fyi... Planet Fitness has no classes.
  • rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If you're a beginner Planet Fitness might be right for you -- I don't know much about it but it seems geared towards people who are new to the gym. That will mean a more welcoming atmosphere for you. The YMCA is also a good choice for beginners (or people of any level really).

cwolfman13's recommendations are definitely for someone who's a more advanced lifter as those people usually prefer free weights. For a beginner, you want a gym with lots of machines, affordable personal trainers and a welcoming, accepting environment -- a gym that's mostly free weights, racks, benches etc. will be more likely to attract people who are already strong and want to work out with similarly fit people. A beginner might feel intimidated or out of place there.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Convenience. Convenience. Convenience. I only make it to the gym when the getting there is easy. I used to be able to work out at home, and I wish I could save the money by working out at home, but I thrive from the comradely I feel seeing others on the same healthy path as me. I don't have to talk to anybody, but the gym atmosphere helps motivate me.
  • missteena88
    missteena88 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I do not care for Planet Fitness. I am sure every location is different but I've been to several and I always feel like they're more concerned about getting those contracts signed than actually helping their members get where they want to be. Also, one location I went to had "pizza Fridays." Not the greatest role model. And I don't know if they still do this, but the tootsie rolls at the door aren't very motivational, either.