Gastric Bypass Surgery: Are you about to get it, or have you gotten it?

Options
Looking for friends who are on the path to get it, or have already had it.

My Surgery is going to be done in June/July and my surgeon wants me to lose about 30 pounds before hand.

About ME:

31 year old
5'0 flat
HW: 232 lbs
CW: 227 lbs
STG: 200 lbs
LTG: 140 lbs

This isn't my first rodeo kids. With the help of MFP I've lost 45 lbs. Then gained it all back. Then lost 30 punds. Then gained it all back. You see the pattern? I'm hoping that GBS will be the tool that helps me keep it off-and get under 180 lbs (my lowest weight as an adult).

Replies

• missteena88
    missteena88 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The only thing that will keep the weight off is constantly calorie tracking and having a better relationship with food. I've known many people who had GBS and over the course of time, gained all of their "original" weight back plus more.

I think you should focus on what you did during the times you lost weight and reflect on what you didn't do during the times you gained it back. This is my fourth time around, too, so I understand.

Anyways, good luck to you.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hello :)
    I am getting GBS. No surgery date set yet, I am about half way through my monthly meetings with the clinic and I was given a goal of 25 lbs to lose. I am 16.5lbs away from hitting the goal. I am hoping that my surgery will be this fall.
    I believe that some people can lose their weight and keep it off by diet but there are also us who have other factors (genetic specifically) that need the extra help of surgery. If we change our eating habits and get the surgery, there is no reason we should gain anything back. It takes work, just like anything.
    My aunt had this surgery and was able to drop 180lbs in 18 months. and she has kept it off (4 years now).
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    GBS is not going to change your relationship with food. I've known some people that had it done, lost a lot of weight and gained it all right back because they didnt change their relationship with food.

You have lost the weight on MFP you've proven that, keep going with that and then eat at maintenance.
  • Kschmidt64
    Kschmidt64 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm also getting the gastric sleeve done on March 7th. I am so excited. Those that say it doesn't work, did not do there research. GS is not a solution, it's a tool that requires lifetime commitment. Yes, you can gain the weight back if you stop following the guidelines. It takes a lot of re-learning, re-training on eat the right foods.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Kschmidt64 wrote: »
    I'm also getting the gastric sleeve done on March 7th. I am so excited. Those that say it doesn't work, did not do there research. GS is not a solution, it's a tool that requires lifetime commitment. Yes, you can gain the weight back if you stop following the guidelines. It takes a lot of re-learning, re-training on eat the right foods.

exactly right! a tool! you still need to change your behaviour, just like those who are able to lose it with diet changes alone.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I was offered it but refused as i saw my aunt go through it, she could never eat the things she loved as they made her eat a high protein diet and despite losing 50lbs she gained it all back. I started nearly at 250 and it looked like something that would fix my obesity, get it going and I would be on a path to health, but as my GP stated, it's entirely based on how I eat and how I log and if i learn to change the habits for life... Which I'm doing on MFP anyway. I decided that I want to be able to lose weight and eat what I want while I do it and so far, so good.

It's definitely not a quick fix and you must change your diet and lifestyle permanently for the weight loss to stay off or you can gain it back.
  • jaw993
    jaw993 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just recently had the bypass and I went to a 3week post op appointment and Ive lost 40 pounds already. Its hard but so worth it.