Weight loss - 1200cal too low?

Options

Replies

• Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    If you decide 1200 is right for you, make sure you eat back exercise calories so you don't end up bingeing later...i made the mistake of eating too low at first (1440 in my case) and after I got my fitbit, realized I should be eating around 1800-2000 to lose a pound a week.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    1200 is pretty extreme for your height, and since you are within healthy weight it'll be hard to lose a lot quickly. As someone else mentioned, you might get more out of strength training.-Especially, since your current goal is to look better at a formal event. Most dresses are sleeveless, so more toned arms will definitely look better no matter the dress size. And try a variety of dresses - some cuts will be more flattering than others.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 70lbs this year on 1200 a day. Although I do a lot of exercise and eat most of those calories back. If you're determined, 1200 is workable.

How tall are you? The OP is 5'10".
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    narmin92 wrote: »
    15lbs in two months is not unheard of for someone who is starting out and extremely overweight, but less typical a result for those who aren't overweight (and it seems your weight is within the normal range). 1200 is probably the number MFP spit out because you entered your information hoping for a 2lb per week loss. It isn't altogether enjoyable or particularly sustainable to eat so little, and if you resume your current habits after your special event, the weight typically comes right back + some.

You might try getting a digital food scale to measure out your portions so you know exactly how many calories you are eating per day. Measuring cups and estimations won't quite cut it for your goal. Only you can decide if 1200 is sustainable for you.

Most of the advice on MFP I've seen given to someone with your stats is that aiming for a .5 lb per week loss is a more realistic goal for long term success.

It is just a hope that I can get into a smaller size dress for the event, but of course if it's not healthy I would want to do it the right way. Thank you for your helpful answer! I guess I will work my way through a healthy meal plan for .5-1lbs per week.

No one will know your dress size unless you tell them. If the size number means that much to you personally, look for a brand and style that is cut larger so the number you want will fit you. If you compare dresses from different makers, you will find a 2-3 size range that will fit on any given day.
    http://www.today.com/style/jeans-don-t-fit-here-s-explanation-inconsistency-women-s-t100419

I think this is a valid point. The only person who will know your size is you. Women''s sizing, especially in the US, is all over the place at best. Just lose the weight in a sustainable way..in the meantime, find something that flatters the right areas, and no one will be the wiser. Everyone's focus will be on the bride, anyway. :)
  • ekardoulias
    ekardoulias Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Im on a lite n easy 1200 calories meal plan so far its going well just had my 2nd week and the food is great. Its just unfortunate i cant log my diary every day because i come in just under 1200 calories every day
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You're tall so yeah 1200 will be low for you as that would be under your BMR - what number did MFP give you when you put in your stats and amount of weight loss per week?
    You don't have much to lose 0.5lb a week is a healthy amount to aim for.

Are you sedentary or active? I ask as that also factors into how much you need to eat.

I'm only 5ft 2 and lost weight eating 1650-1800 cals a day - 0.5lb a week. I had 20lbs to lose. The taller you are the more you can eat and still lose.

Too large a calorie deficit will mean along with fat loss you will lose a lot of muscle which is what you don't want. That's why its best to aim for slower weight loss, its the healthy way and its also more sustainable as you wont feel deprived food wise.
  • narmin92
    narmin92 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You're tall so yeah 1200 will be low for you as that would be under your BMR - what number did MFP give you when you put in your stats and amount of weight loss per week?
    You don't have much to lose 0.5lb a week is a healthy amount to aim for.

Are you sedentary or active? I ask as that also factors into how much you need to eat.

I'm only 5ft 2 and lost weight eating 1650-1800 cals a day - 0.5lb a week. I had 20lbs to lose. The taller you are the more you can eat and still lose.

Too large a calorie deficit will mean along with fat loss you will lose a lot of muscle which is what you don't want. That's why its best to aim for slower weight loss, its the healthy way and its also more sustainable as you wont feel deprived food wise.

Sedentary, mostly. I have a desk job from am to pm and don't work out for the time being either. Hoping to get decent amount of workout in my day though.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @narmin92 I have a desk job too. I still feel that 1200 is too low for you even with that... what calories did MFP give you to lose say 0.5lb or 1lb a week? and I take it you have the settings here set at sedentary?
    If you do get to workout then you will log that exercise here and also be able to eat some of those calories burned back, that is the MFP way.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Also wanted to add, that at your current weight you aren't overweight as such so there's no need to panic about losing 15lbs, you might even find losing 7 to 10 lbs will make a difference...but you'll know better as time passes and the weight comes off.

All the best.

Ruth
  • terrymurray68
    terrymurray68 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and my starting weight was 260lbs. Almost immediately I was on 1200 cals because I, like you, have a completely desk based job. That seemed low to me, even for someone of my less than statuesque build :-) and I was hungry for about two or three weeks, as I got used to the massive drop in the amount I was consuming. I've been at it for eight months now and am well used to that level of food. I've lost 112 pounds, so it's worked for me. But you are a lot taller than me, so it really does seem a bit low. As has been suggested, if you really want to try 1200 cals, perhaps you could earn a few extra with exercise, and eat them, so you get a bit more. Good luck. This is totally doable.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    narmin92 wrote: »
    Exercise is also an excellent way to create a calorie deficit - and it can allow you to eat more calories. It's my trick anyway. One 40 minute walk adds something like 150 calories - so that my 1400 base calorie intake goes up to 1550. Not to mention, if what you want is to be "less flabby", weight training is your friend. 9 weeks is plenty of time to see results and get muscle tone.

I am a complete beginner when it comes to weight training, can't do one push-up on my knees, very weak upper body strength. And most of the 'beginner' workouts I've looked up suggest less beginner-y programs, so I've been putting it off...

I recommend a gym where there are trained professionals on staff who will show you how to do lifting exercises properly and will work with you for the correct weight to start with. It should be somewhat difficult - you should be tired at the last rep - but not overwhelmingly so.

An exercise physiologist can help you, and they generally love to help anyone interested in improving themselves.
  • narmin92
    Options
    @narmin92 I have a desk job too. I still feel that 1200 is too low for you even with that... what calories did MFP give you to lose say 0.5lb or 1lb a week? and I take it you have the settings here set at sedentary?
    If you do get to workout then you will log that exercise here and also be able to eat some of those calories burned back, that is the MFP way.

MFP gave me 1420 and 1670 for 1lbs and 0.5lbs respectively, with setting at sedentary. Do you think it is good if I consume around 1500-1600 if I start exercising? Or would I have to eat my workout calories too?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @narmin92 thanks for answering, so at sedentary you should be eating a minimum of 1420 MINIMUM. that's without exercise. IF you do exercise then you would eat a bit more, you could eat at least 50% of those exercise calories.
    Why not try 1500-1600 for a week and see how the loss goes?
  • narmin92
    Options
    @narmin92 thanks for answering, so at sedentary you should be eating a minimum of 1420 MINIMUM. that's without exercise. IF you do exercise then you would eat a bit more, you could eat at least 50% of those exercise calories.
    Why not try 1500-1600 for a week and see how the loss goes?

Will go for that. Just have to make sure to get the exercise in too.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @narmin92 oh I agree, exercise is great for creating a bit more calorie deficit but its so good for our overall well being - I always feel so much better when I've done my workout :smile:

Hope you'll come back to this thread in a week or two's time to let us know how you are doing :smile:
  • stationlouisa
    stationlouisa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Check out youtube for beginner strength training routines there is sure to be one that suits you, or you can modify. It sounds more like you need to tone up than lose weight. Good luck and enjoy the wedding, no one notices what anyone is wearing other than the bridal party.
  • narmin92
    Options
    Check out youtube for beginner strength training routines there is sure to be one that suits you, or you can modify. It sounds more like you need to tone up than lose weight. Good luck and enjoy the wedding, no one notices what anyone is wearing other than the bridal party.

Thank you! Will do, worst case will just try to customize my own workout plan.
  • narmin92
    Options
    @RunRutheeRun I will, definitely! Many thanks for the motivation and guidance!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    You're welcome :smile: @narmin92