Terrified of carbs

Options
I try to limit my intake of fruits, grains and starches and stick to a low carb diet, but today I decided to make some protein fluff with frozen strawberries for a post-workout meal. I feel so guilty about the carbs from the strawberries! I know it's crazy, I mean... It's FRUIT. But I don't like how the sugar and carbs affect my body. Protein and fat I'm okay with. But carbs? Carbs scare me. Does anyone else have an irrational fear of carbs?

Replies

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    If you log onto fighterdiet.com, they eat nothing but carbs.. You have nothing to fear but fear of curbs its self.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    How does the sugar and carb content affect your body that makes you so upset?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, speak to a doctor.

How long have you been 'scared'?
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Please don't be scared of carbs, or any other kinds of food. It's not healthy to feel that way about food, you might need to consider getting some help.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Your ancestors ate carbs and were skinny. They ate meat and were skinny. Hell they ate the fat off animals and were skinny. They used oil and butter and all that bad stuff.. and were skinny and healthy. So what is different about then and not watching what they eat to now with all this worry over what is good vs what is bad? No Technology. They worked worked worked. They pretty much burned calories all day long. LOTS of exercise! Carbs wont hurt you. Too many calories and not enough burning them back off will however.

Feeling guilty still? Do a quick 10 min work out or go for a run.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I eat 200 grams of carbs or day and I'm female and I'm losing weight and feel fantastic. Avoid the carbs that make you feel gross- like I can't have much bread or refined sugar for various reasons- but don't fear the carbs!! Fruit is good for you! Potatoes are awesome! As long as you get enough protein and stay within your calories you will lose weight.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Carbs should be afraid of YOU, not the other way around, dude. ;)

Relax... calories come into play regardless of whether we want to lose, maintain or gain. Carbs are just like any other macro. For me, carbs provide satiety as well as energy.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Josh, even I feel or felt like I need to talk to someone about my issues with food, and they are less extreme than this.

• courtneyfabulous
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I eat 200 grams of carbs or day and I'm female and I'm losing weight and feel fantastic. Avoid the carbs that make you feel gross- like I can't have much bread or refined sugar for various reasons- but don't fear the carbs!! Fruit is good for you! Potatoes are awesome! As long as you get enough protein and stay within your calories you will lose weight.

This is not good advice for someone showing signs of an eating disorder

Telling him not to fear food and get proper nutrition is bad advice?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I do not have an eating disorder.

Josh, I am very concerned, and I don't believe I've interacted with you before.

Is that you in your picture? If so, you look way too thin. What are your goals? Are you trying to put on weight instead of lose?

You are scared of carbs, or certain food types, indicating that you are assigning food a certain power over you. Otherwise, you would not be scared of food.

Please, please get help for your issues around food. If you don't have an eating disorder now, you are quickly headed down that path.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Oh dude - just saw your profile pic... OP you should be trying to GAIN weight! I hope you are?? Plenty of protein and yes carbs and a caloric surplus to put on muscle/bulk. Please tell me you are trying to gain some weight??
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options

Sorry you're right didn't catch at first that there was actually an eating disorder at play.