Spaghetti Squash recipies?

Options
Crafty_camper123
Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
Any ideas for spaghetti squash recipes? I'm not necessarily looking for recopies that replace pasta or rice, but does anyone there any that allow the flavor of the squash to stand out on it's own??

Replies

• kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I usually just roast it in the oven and mix it with some fresh veggies and herbs.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have microwaved it, roasted it and even grilled it. Yesterday I microwaved and added a big tablespoon of store bought pesto, so good! This Asian Spaghetti Squash let the squash shine too.
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/10/asian-spaghetti-squash.html
  • bethrbruce
    bethrbruce Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cook spinach, portabella mushrooms, and a some lean chicken in a tbsp of olive oil and garlic. Add in the cooked spaghetti squash. Sprinkle a little parmesean on top. Comes out to about 270 calories for a large serving. And its Delicious!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I love mixing it with sauteed peppers, spinach and mushrooms, mixing in some pesto and cooked chicken. Spaghetti squash and pesto are such a great match.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Smitten Kitchen blog has a great Moroccan spiced spaghetti squash recipe. Her book also includes one for spaghetti squash tacos with black beans. Delicious!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com. several great recipes I've used from there.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    These sound good, Thanks!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Check out skinnytaste.com. several great recipes I've used from there.

@Crafty_camper123

This one http://www.skinnytaste.com/spaghetti-squash-sausage-lasagna-boats/ is great. Sometimes I do chicken instead and mix in spinach.

Try her turkey taco or enchilada stuffed spaghetti squash too. All of them are tasty!
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash has the least flavor of any of the winter squashes. I'm low carb, so I like to fry my previous steamed winter squash in coconut butter and/or butter with onions and garlic like it is hash browns. If you want flavor go to sweat meat or another winter squash - however that is higher in carbs and calories.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash pizza crust
    1 large spaghetti squash
    1 large egg
    1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
    Whatever toppings u want to add

- Roast one large spaghetti squash in oven or microwave (I do microwave, much more time friendly)
    - scrape out flesh of squash and measure out 3.5 cups (if leftovers, use for later)
    - Use a cheese cloth, clean kitchen towel, or paper towel to ring out as much moisture as possible
    - Mix in 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese and one beaten egg with the squash
    - Place parchment paper on your pizza pan and shape mixture into the shape you want
    - Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, then get it out and flip it carefully then back into the oven for another 10 minutes
    - Top as desired and back into oven to melt the cheese and crisp the toppings

I found this on some website a while back. Obviously doesn't taste like "real pizza" but good in its own right, and I feel this crust holds together better than Cauliflower crust.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    The above recipe could probably be made into smaller circles and rolled and stuffed similar to enchiladas but I haven't tried that yet. I think I will have to try it now though...
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
  • AnarchistKitchen
    AnarchistKitchen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think the flavor is kind of bland so I just used it as a pasta sub and made ramen with it.
    https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com/2015/10/25/vegan-ramen-soup-with-paleo-spaghetti-squash-gluten-free/
    akue056h4uce.jpg
  • sarahinak007
    sarahinak007 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Okay, this is my go to recipe for spaghetti squash, in fact I just picked up the ingredients to make it again last night! I reduced the calories by not using feta and instead each person uses one wedge of laughing cow. SO good please try it and let me know what you think! It also has rave reviews on allrecipes.com
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I like spaghetti squash on its own merits. I roast it whole because I'm too lazy to cut it raw. When it's nice and tender and roasted, I cut it, scrape it, and store it. I keep the seeds and dry them for salads (some containing spaghetti squash). When I use the stuff, I'll either eat as is, with some other veggies and a light dressing, or I'll toast up a portion and get it caramelized a little.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Someone else mentioned Skinnytaste, which is where this idea came from: Cook the squash (we much prefer it microwaved and a bit crunchy) and mix it with a bit of shredded cheese of your choice and leftover chili, then bake it in the shells topped with a bit more cheese. We just had this a couple of days ago made with our favourite veggie chili. Delicious. Another go to recipe is to top it with roasted cherry tomatoes mixed with beans (like romano) and herbs.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash has the least flavor of any of the winter squashes. I'm low carb, so I like to fry my previous steamed winter squash in coconut butter and/or butter with onions and garlic like it is hash browns. If you want flavor go to sweat meat or another winter squash - however that is higher in carbs and calories.

My sentiments exactly... I'd much rather eat acorn or butternut squash.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I like them all; I do agree that spaghetti squash has the least flavor, but I get my kicks out of it by roasting.