Cutting evening snacking habit

Options
Breakfast lunch and dinner are no problem. Then comes the hours between 7-11pm and I find myself craving. Any snack suggestions?

Replies

• 135terry
    135terry Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't have any snack suggestions, as I find as soon as I started snacking in the evening, I can't stop. However, because late night snacking is such a problem for me, I decided to join a challenge on MFP called "Say No to Late Night Snacking", where participants record daily their battle against LNS. For example if last night you did no late night snacking you would record Me: 1, LNS: 0 and some include "Streak" to record the number of days they've gone in a row without LNS. Participants determine what LNS means to them. For me it is after 7:30PM, however, for others they allow themselves a LNS as long as they are still within their calorie allowance for the day.

Many participating within the challenge have indicated it is really helping them get their LNS under control. I know you were looking for snacking suggestions, but thought this challenge may also be of interest to you.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I've got a box of small bags of chips (28g) and will have 1 if I need a snack. Otherwise, baby carrots or snap peas. All logged.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Or, you could just embrace your evening snacking. Make sure you otherwise hit your macros, then make sure you have plenty of calories saved up for the evening hours.

Me, I have had a thing for doritos and peanut butter cups of late.

I like this.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Second on popcorn. Reasonable in calories and it satisfies my urge to munch.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Or, you could just embrace your evening snacking. Make sure you otherwise hit your macros, then make sure you have plenty of calories saved up for the evening hours.

Me, I have had a thing for doritos and peanut butter cups of late.

mine is Doritos and cottage cheese lol or McDonald's, I have a Big Mac habit.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Popcorn or pickles
  • kayleighcabral
    kayleighcabral Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a huge problem with night time snacking myself and always turn to things that are obviously not good for me plus a soda. When I'm laying around watching TV, I get the temptation to EAT EAT EAT! I hate it!. My question here is, is when should I stop eating at night?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,100 Member
    Options
    I eat my meal later. It is cooking right now, so I will likely be eating by 8 or so. Some days it is later.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I try to eat later - not always possible with a 2 1/2 year old but when he's at his dads I stretch it out. If I do need a snack (and I often do... When my eyes are open I'm hungry basically) I'll opt for snap peas and hummous, carrot sticks, cucumber, or if I need something sweet Greek yogurt and frozen berries. I don't buy into the 'low fat' ethos as I find whole foods are generally more satiating, just be sure to weigh and log accurately.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I just save calories so I can snack in the evening. Those mostly come from exercise.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    If I'm low on calories, I eat pickles, other veggies or low cal fruits, sugar free jello, or sugar free hard candy. If I have calories to spare, I eat whatever...
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    the first thing i do each morning is put my evening bowl of cereal/milk into my MFP - same thing every night - 32g of fruit loops and 1/2 milk - about 170cal - i eat it while sitting in bed right before i go to sleep
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I always save calories for late night snacking. I often have a bowl of cereal with fruit.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Ure eating dinner too early, if u stay up till 11 why eat at 5 if u already ready for a snack at 7? I mean r u hungry at dinner time? If not, eat later or save calories when u not hungry for snack time
  • jh5377
    jh5377 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This seems to work for me most of the time. I make a normal cup of tea and then a green tea. drink the black tea and then the green tea as its cooled down - then i feel full from two cups of hot drinks. have to do this before the cravings and i think the fruit flavoured green tea gives me that sweetness.