Cutting evening snacking habit

Options

Replies

• sarijuanaaa
    sarijuanaaa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi! :) if possible, maybe u could think "am i just bored or am i actually hungry" before u eat. a great healthy(?) snack is abound's strawberry fruit snack bar, similar to a fruit wrap and for lack of better wording, it is like a knock-off fruit rollup :D
  • abovethecity
    abovethecity Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. I've only had success with this by saving calories and then telling myself that I can eat a snack at a specific time every night, so I look forward to it.
  • kayleexbabeex
    kayleexbabeex Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Snap I wanted to cut out the evening time snacks, this is when it's worse for me. I did start off with fruit but it doesn't curb that craving for a little sugar or treat. I bought hartleys 10calorie jello pots or just save 100calories or whatever to use on the evening just to satisfy it.
  • active562
    active562 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If you snack out of boredem , try and find something to take your mind off things :) MFP helped me realize that theres more to life than just food
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Save some calories for your evening snacking.
    Sipping water /tea helps if you have consumed all your calories.
    Consistent determination not to snack can become a habit after a while (that's what I found anyway).
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I always have a "buffer" of extra calories saved for after dinner. The worst days for cravings are days that I didn't exercise and days that I ate a lot of sugar. The earlier I eat the sugar load, the sooner the snacking begins. Obviously blood sugar spikes and crashes explain why I have the munchies on high sugar days, but why the heck am I so hungry on sedentary days and not on active days? Just weird I guess. :#
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
  • TheLongshot
    TheLongshot Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Chew gum
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I recommend eating dinner later. And if you start to feel like snacking, ask yourself "Am I hungry, or am I actually thirsty?" Whenever I feel like evening snacking. I make a mug of tea (caff free).

Having said that, last night, all I could think about was the bottle of IBC root beer in the fridge. It's still there... I settled for club soda instead.
  • susiestrike
    susiestrike Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I either have a small portion of dried fruit and nuts, or a packet of walkers French fries which are quite low in calories - my biggest problem is cups of tea during the day, I have about 6 or 7!
  • nanaalexis10
    nanaalexis10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Breakfast lunch and dinner are no problem. Then comes the hours between 7-11pm and I find myself craving. Any snack suggestions?

I. Also have problem w/ snacking crackers &;dip. Once I start I can't stop. Need someone 2 be accountable 2 or even a game I like a challenge live 2 win.
  • brdoyle8
    brdoyle8 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Or, you could just embrace your evening snacking. Make sure you otherwise hit your macros, then make sure you have plenty of calories saved up for the evening hours.

Me, I have had a thing for doritos and peanut butter cups of late.

This is my strategy. I intentionally leave enough calories for a snack or two, and I log everything.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Chew gum. Drink lots of water or plain tea. Go to bed. Go for a walk. Do yoga. Brush your teeth. Close out your diary for the day. Save some calories for a small snack.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with snacking at night and have tried IF (intermittent fasting). I'm doing a 16:8, meaning that I fast for 16 hours and have an 8 hour window I eat in. I do 12-8, or 1-9, depending on the day. Setting this window keeps me focused and has so far stopped the snacking. I eat bigger, more satisfying meals and I think this helps dampen the urge to snack.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Or, you could just embrace your evening snacking. Make sure you otherwise hit your macros, then make sure you have plenty of calories saved up for the evening hours.

Me, I have had a thing for doritos and peanut butter cups of late.

mine is Doritos and cottage cheese lol or McDonald's, I have a Big Mac habit.

Doritos dipped in cottage cheese is so delicious (I eat the Trader Joe's knock of of Doritos which are gluten free, but same difference).

OP, I agree with DrEnalg that there's nothing inherently wrong with snacking if you embrace it and save calories for it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options
    I have a huge problem with night time snacking myself and always turn to things that are obviously not good for me plus a soda. When I'm laying around watching TV, I get the temptation to EAT EAT EAT! I hate it!. My question here is, is when should I stop eating at night?

When you're full. Try eating foods that are higher in satiety, for example, increasing protein and fiber. And chew slowly.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,148 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I have a huge problem with night time snacking myself and always turn to things that are obviously not good for me plus a soda. When I'm laying around watching TV, I get the temptation to EAT EAT EAT! I hate it!. My question here is, is when should I stop eating at night?

When you're full. Try eating foods that are higher in satiety, for example, increasing protein and fiber. And chew slowly.

When you are out of calories.