Need Help Gaining Weight and Getting in Shape

Options
I'm 33, 5'5" and Weight about 96 lbs. I have always been underweight. I also suffer from fibromyalgia and need to start getting healthy to combat it. I want to gain weight and start exercising. I suffer from weak muscles, especially in my neck and my knees. Right now I'm meeting my calorie goals daily, but am unsure about what exercises to do to get fit and put weight on. I have to be careful about how hard I work out, my chronic pain may try to kill me. Any tips or ideas?

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I suggest starting with bodyweight work out circuits like push-ups, knee-ups, crunches, squat variations and lunges. These will be easy on your joints, yet still build some muscle. To gain weight, you must eat 250-700 calories more than your TDEE (which is the amount of calories you need to survive if you are completely sedentary). Try to focus on getting a lot of protein!
  • hamshor
    hamshor Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey. Try to train 3 times a week. Warm up before lifting weights. Also try to choose exercises that doesn't give you a lot of pain :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I suggest starting with bodyweight work out circuits like push-ups, knee-ups, crunches, squat variations and lunges. These will be easy on your joints, yet still build some muscle. To gain weight, you must eat 250-700 calories more than your TDEE (which is the amount of calories you need to survive if you are completely sedentary). Try to focus on getting a lot of protein!

No, tdee is your total daily energy expenditure, which is how many calories you burn with all movement and purposeful exercise.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

You're confusing TDEE with BMR (the bolded part). As mentioned above, TDEE includes all movement and exercise.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

No, tdee is your total daily energy expenditure, which is how many calories you burn with all movement and purposeful exercise.

to add, 700 calories over maintenance is going to be over kill for most females..

I would suggest a 250 calories surplus + a structured lifting program like strong lifts, strong curves, all pro beginner,etc...

I would not suggest body weight work out circuits....
  • DiamondEyezz
    DiamondEyezz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Why not start with yoga? It sounds relaxing, but really it builds strength in your muscles while not starting off too hard in the beginning. It will lengthen and strengthen as while as building flexibility. It will feel great and you can work up to weights from there.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Why not start with yoga? It sounds relaxing, but really it builds strength in your muscles while not starting off too hard in the beginning. It will lengthen and strengthen as while as building flexibility. It will feel great and you can work up to weights from there.

Yoga will not build muscle, increase strength or lengthen your muscles.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Strong curves could be too much for someone with fibromyalgia - yoga could be a good starting point while building up to a more intensive programme?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Or maybe PiYo? And then progress to bodyweight, then dumbbells, then something like stronglifts. It might cause a fibro flare at first, but movement helps keep the stiffness and pain away once you get in better shape.