The default of carbohydrate intake goal seems high for weight loss.

Options
2»

Replies

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Down 125 lbs with 50%-60% of my calories coming from carbs. No, their default is not "high for weight loss" since macro percentages are not what governs weight loss.
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    My mind has been programmed to think bread = fat. I find myself always taking 1 slice off if I'm eating any kind of sandwich.

Different types of carbs act differently as they are digested and metabolized. Simple carbs convert to sugar on digestion, and so too much of those (even if they are within your caloric range) can thwart weight loss efforts.

Nope. If you are eating less calories than you burn you will lose.

Technically speaking, yes. If all you're interested in is the number on the scale, then it truly doesn't matter what foods those less calories are. A person can eat nothing but 5 donuts a day and go for a 30-minute walk and lose weight, but they're not exactly going to be healthy, are they? If you're interested in overall health in addition to the number on the scale, it really is more complex than merely CICO.

It's not all or nothing. There is a middle ground between no simple carbs and all donuts all the time.

I eat 50-55% carbs most days and quite a few of those are simple carbs. All of my health indicators have improved as I've lost weight.

I'm not arguing all or nothing. I like simple carbs as much as the next person, and especially love them after a tough workout. The OP was expressing that she felt like the carb counts for the MFP formula were high because she has the idea that bread=fat. I was trying to explain that it is a false notion, and also elaborate by explaining that there is a difference between simple and complex carbs in the way our bodies metabolize them. Can you lose weight eating any type of carbs? Yes. Does that mean all carbs are equal? No. You can see my first post in this thread for some better context.

• Cashgrinder
    Cashgrinder Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One of the main reason I avoid simple carbs is because the volume of food. Simple carbs are high calorie for a little food. A 1.5 ounce snickers bar has 215 calories while 1 cup (about 4 ounces) of apple slices has 95 calories. The apple will keep you satisfied longer due to the volume. The fiber content in the apple will slowdown the absorption of the sugers preventing a spike on insulin. The snickers will cause a spike making you hungry again.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    NOT possible weight loss is about Calorie deficit NOT a specific Macro.

So then what's the point of the goals and mfp notifying when you go over?

Calories for weight loss
    Macros for satiety, possibly health, some fitness goals
    Micros for health
    Exercise for health & fitness

There are people here with lots of different goals - tracking is available for all the possible goals people might come here for.

This.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My mind has been programmed to think bread = fat. I find myself always taking 1 slice off if I'm eating any kind of sandwich.

Different types of carbs act differently as they are digested and metabolized. Simple carbs convert to sugar on digestion, and so too much of those (even if they are within your caloric range) can thwart weight loss efforts. However, complex carbs found in whole grains like brown rice and quinoa, as well as in low-glycemic veggies like broccoli and yams/sweet potatoes do not convert as readily to sugar and have significantly more fiber to offset the sugars that are there.

Also, simple carbs tend to be very high in calories with minimal nutritional benefit, so they can hog up a lot of your calorie allowance without doing you any favors nutritionally. So while you can technically eat them and lose weight because you're in a caloric deficit, it's not really going to help you in the long run with your overall health.

Low-carb diets work for some (I personally think they are a bad idea, but that's just my opinion based on personal experience), but for the most part you don't want to skimp on them too much if you want to perform well at the gym (especially if you do much cardio). Carbs are a quick and easy form of energy - you just want to favor complex carbs over simple carbs.

Carbs metabolize at different speeds and in the case of fructose, in the liver vs intensities/stomach, but they all convert to sugar; more specifically, glucose. Glucose is so important to the body, that you do not eat enough, your body can create glucose out of amino acids and fatty acids through glucenogensis. The GI is not a very effective tool, for many, to use. It's based on a rating system when done fasted and done in isolation. This is rarely how person eats. Having said that, people should definitely eat a variety of foods, specially ones that will allow an themselves to be full, which is highly individualized. For me, fats do not fill me up, but what does is carbs; both simple (an apple), starches (potatoes <-- this actually is the most filling thing to me outside of protein) and complex (whole grain breads). Overall, diets are about context. If you are doing endurance work, than simple sugars are going to be the most effective. For general satiety, a variety of carbs mixed with other nutrient is ideal because fats, fiber and protein slow down the absorption; side note, different types of proteins have different absorption rates too. Egg protein takes a lot longer than whey.
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I did a low carb diet and lost 60 pounds. I am on a fairly regular diet now, and still losing weight. As long as you stay under your calorie limit, you will continue to lose.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    One of the main reason I avoid simple carbs is because the volume of food. Simple carbs are high calorie for a little food. A 1.5 ounce snickers bar has 215 calories while 1 cup (about 4 ounces) of apple slices has 95 calories. The apple will keep you satisfied longer due to the volume. The fiber content in the apple will slowdown the absorption of the sugers preventing a spike on insulin. The snickers will cause a spike making you hungry again.

Your example really has nothing to do with simple carbs vs. complex carbs especially if we're simply talking calories. A Snickers bar has 11 grams of fat and an apple has less than a half gram which accounts for most of the calorie difference; fat has more than twice the calories of sugar (9 grams vs. 4 grams). I'm not sure the rest of your conclusion is entirely valid.

For starters, a 1.56 ounce (44 grams) Snickers bar has that 11 grams of fat plus 3 grams of protein and 28 total grams of carbohydrates, of which 20 grams is sugar and .8 grams is fiber.

By comparison, a cup of apple slices has 0.2 grams of fat and .3 grams of protein. There are 15 grams of carbohydrates of which 11 grams is fructose (a simple sugar) and 3 grams are fiber. In fact, if you subtract the grams of everything else from the total 165 grams in that cup of apple slices, you'll see that it is mostly water.

While the larger volume of the apple will certainly fill you up more than the Snickers bar at first, the protein and fat in the Snickers bar will take longer to process than the fructose, water and small amount of fiber in the apple slices. I'm betting that whichever keeps you feeling full longer may very well come down to a wash or simple first-person perception.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    For me, fats do not fill me up, but what does is carbs; both simple (an apple), starches (potatoes <-- this actually is the most filling thing to me outside of protein) and complex (whole grain breads). Overall, diets are about context. If you are doing endurance work, than simple sugars are going to be the most effective.

I'd like to echo all of this. Protein normally does the most to blunt my hunger, carbs are pretty filling too, and fats are just yummy but not filling at all. For me personally.

When I plan to spent more than three hours on the bike, I bring a pack of M&Ms with me.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

Your example really has nothing to do with simple carbs vs. complex carbs especially if we're simply talking calories. A Snickers bar has 11 grams of fat and an apple has less than a half gram which accounts for most of the calorie difference; fat has more than twice the calories of sugar (9 grams vs. 4 grams). I'm not sure the rest of your conclusion is entirely valid.

For starters, a 1.56 ounce (44 grams) Snickers bar has that 11 grams of fat plus 3 grams of protein and 28 total grams of carbohydrates, of which 20 grams is sugar and .8 grams is fiber.

By comparison, a cup of apple slices has 0.2 grams of fat and .3 grams of protein. There are 15 grams of carbohydrates of which 11 grams is fructose (a simple sugar) and 3 grams are fiber. In fact, if you subtract the grams of everything else from the total 165 grams in that cup of apple slices, you'll see that it is mostly water.

While the larger volume of the apple will certainly fill you up more than the Snickers bar at first, the protein and fat in the Snickers bar will take longer to process than the fructose, water and small amount of fiber in the apple slices. I'm betting that whichever keeps you feeling full longer may very well come down to a wash or simple first-person perception.

^^ This. So much this. The original snickers to apple comparison lacked any acknowledgment of the difference in water content.

I had drafted a similar response, but did not bother posting it a while back. I'm glad I didn't post it, because mine would not have been half as thoroughly and eloquently stated as @SueInAz has provided in this post.

If I ate a 16g mini snickers bar (80 Cals) and drank 4.5 ounces of water to quiet a bit of hunger, I would feel just as satiated, and most likely for just as long a time, as eating a 149g small apple (which contains 4.5 ounces of water and 77 Cals).

Satiety is different for different people.