Question for elliptical users

Options
Hey there MFP community! I have a question for those of you how use the elliptical on a fairly regular basis. Do you ever experience hip pain after workouts? I'm fairly young (33 y.o.), and I have had minor pain after workouts, usually the morning after. This morning I woke up with pain on my right hip that actually radiates to my lower back. It's not unbearable - just uncomfortable. I assume that these kinds of aches and pains are likely due to the repetitive motion associated with the elliptical. Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this, and if so, is there anything special you do to handle or avoid it?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    If you do, it MAY be just weakness in the muscles that are used in doing the movement. Do you do any resistance training at all?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ksenya03
    ksenya03 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't get hip pain from them but stopped using the elliptical as the repetitive motion was causing my foot to go completely numb to the point I couldn't feel it at all and was not fully resolving for sometimes up to a couple of hours after my work out.
  • jennyi27
    jennyi27 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff no, i do not do any resistance training right now. i have been using the elliptical for about a year now (some times more regularly than others), so wouldn't the muscles have found their groove by now? one of my friends suggested using a roller before and after. what do you think?

@ksenya03 my toes get a little numb from it as well, but if i walk around i get feeling back in a few seconds. that's odd that yours would take so long to come back! scary!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    @ksenya03 @jennyi27
    Be sure to use the elliptical with your full foot on the pedal. Pedaling on the toes can cause foot numbness.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Oooh. I hope it's not the elliptical. My physiatrist just told me to stop the stationary bike (which my chiro said was fine, sigh!) and get on the elliptical for my hip/back pain - which I could have sworn was a back issue. X-ray showed otherwise I guess. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    jennyi27 wrote: »
    @ninerbuff no, i do not do any resistance training right now. i have been using the elliptical for about a year now (some times more regularly than others), so wouldn't the muscles have found their groove by now? one of my friends suggested using a roller before and after. what do you think?

@ksenya03 my toes get a little numb from it as well, but if i walk around i get feeling back in a few seconds. that's odd that yours would take so long to come back! scary!

Have you ever had back injuries? Tend to lift heavy? Or lift heavy things at work? The reason I ask is that pain that starts in your lower back, then progresses down into your buttocks, then down your leg and into your toes, or numbness plus pain in some or part of those areas can mean impingement of the sciatic nerve. Usually this is caused by a disc injury in your back.

If it were me, I'd consult your doctor and/or an orthopedic doctor/sports doctor. I've had much experience with bulging and herniated discs plus sciatic nerve pain and damage, and trust me, you don't want it.
  • cogirljb
    cogirljb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have never had hip/back pain from elliptical. Its pretty low impact, so I couldn't imagine it causing to many issues, maybe some stretching when you get done??
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    jennyi27 wrote: »
    Sounds like impingement of a nerve. And that's usually an origin in the back area. Lots of people have bad form on the elliptical too. Do you slouch when you do it?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sijaeabc
    sijaeabc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use my elliptical about an hour a day. I am careful about my form, standing straight upright rather than slouching. I pick my heels slightly off the pedals as the pedal comes up and then drive down with my thighs on the way down, this keeps my center of balance low and prevents me from using my arms to make it easier. I think it also helps approximate walking a little more closely. I find the elliptical much easier on my body than walking. I hurt my lower back a while ago and I could do the elliptical and keep up my exercise even when I could barely walk half a mile due to back pain. This was sooo great because I was able to stay active and not lose my routines while I healed. If it is causing you pain it may be your form or the way you are engaging your muscles, or weakness that needs to be addresssed through resistance training. You could also talk to some professionals to make sure you aren't causing yourself problems with this form of exercise