Labdoor Finally Testing Protein Bars

Options
https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein-bars

Quest came out on top, which should shock precisely no one. That said, it's still early days, as this is their first round of bars. I expect more than the current 20 in the near future.

However, the thing that I didn't see coming is just how poorly all of these "whole food" bars score, compared to their "heavily processed" brethren.

Want protein? Go for Quest, Premier, and Met-RX.

Want Cadmium, Lead, and Arsenic? Reach for Vega Sport, Rise, and SimplyProtein.

Overall, about the only one that shocked me was Mission1. Given their typical pricepoint, and MuscleTech's reputation, I was expecting them to be far worse.

Replies

• chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Interesting info!

I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure....interested to see where my favorites fall...
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to see Power Crunch ranked that low. I had a sample of their salted caramel bar that was vile.

It's nice to see Premier ranked so high. Those bars are easy to pick up for cheap.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    I am so glad to see Power Crunch ranked that low. I had a sample of their salted caramel bar that was vile.

It's nice to see Premier ranked so high. Those bars are easy to pick up for cheap.

Yeah, Premier is another one that's easy to grab on the cheap, that isn't completely horrid. I'm not a huge fan of soy in large quantities, but given that I don't normally live on bars, they're a solid option for a relatively decent protein to money ratio.

I'll be interested to see how FitCrunch ranks whenever they get around to it. Given it's fat to pro ratio, I'm expecting it to be a bit low, even if everything else is solid.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I want them to rank Kirkland bars so bad. They are Quest but better and fit LC macros so beautifully
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    I want them to rank Kirkland bars so bad. They are Quest but better and fit LC macros so beautifully

I have a feeling that those are essentially rebranded Mission1. Same flavor availability, seems to have the exact same texture profile and ingredient list as well.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein was #10 with a B-. Yay for my stuff!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

I wouldn't call "failed heavy metal screening" a yay, but that's just me. ;)
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Good find/read...a bit disturbing as always.
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kirkland is now added, ranks #4
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

Me too! I love the Quest bars but Pure Protein is a lot less $$.
  • mph323
    Options

Wait - what??
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Wait - what??

Someone yayed that their protein bar got a B- plus failed the heavy metal screening. Not exactly yay worthy.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    little bit sad that the builder bars are mid-pack. i was already starting to back off from them after i noticed the sat fat content, but my relationship with them has been real.
  • mph323
    Options

Wait - what??

Someone yayed that their protein bar got a B- plus failed the heavy metal screening. Not exactly yay worthy.

Yeah, that's what I was doing the double-take on. I switched to Pure Protein from Quest for the price break. I might have to re-think that... :o
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Wait - what??

Yeah, that's what I was doing the double-take on. I switched to Pure Protein from Quest for the price break. I might have to re-think that... :o

Keep in mind though, even LD has a flaw in this area. They test one batch of one flavor of each brand. There can be vast differences in bars like PP, due to large shifts in ingredients between flavors. Seriously, compare the chocolate deluxe ingredients list to say, the dark chocolate coconut. They're not even made from the same type of protein (the former is primarily milk/whey and the latter is primarily soy), and the rest of the list is even more divergent.

Quest on the other hand, tends to be a lot more consistent with their ingredients, as it appears to be a constant base, just with slightly altered flavorings and mix-ins used.
  • mph323
    Options

Wait - what??

Keep in mind though, even LD has a flaw in this area. They test one batch of one flavor of each brand. There can be vast differences in bars like PP, due to large shifts in ingredients between flavors. Seriously, compare the chocolate deluxe ingredients list to say, the dark chocolate coconut. They're not even made from the same type of protein (the former is primarily milk/whey and the latter is primarily soy), and the rest of the list is even more divergent.

Quest on the other hand, tends to be a lot more consistent with their ingredients, as it appears to be a constant base, just with slightly altered flavorings and mix-ins used.

Interesting! I would associate a more consistent ingredient list (starting with the protein source) with a higher quality just off the top of my head.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options

Wait - what??

Interesting! I would associate a more consistent ingredient list (starting with the protein source) with a higher quality just off the top of my head.

Some flavors just work better with different kinds on protein. Super sweet and milky flavors (like chocolate, cookie dough, and cookies & cream) tend to work better when made with whey, in my experience of making my own bars. Fruity and tropical flavors often go better with veggie proteins, although I will admit that I've never really worked with soy protein.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I find it frightening that manufactured products marketed as food have measurable quantities of toxic heavy metals. That alone makes me wary of trying any of these.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Interesting; thanks for posting!
    I've started buying Quest bars through Amazon Subscribe & Save, which at least saves 15% off a box. I tried the Kirkland brand version and wanted to love them but wasn't wild about them. (Also, IIRC they had tree nuts in them and one son is allergic so I was less comfortable having them in the house.)
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Kirkland failed heavy metal screen... no kittens given... I love those things