vegetarian lunches

Options
I have been getting bored with my traditional lunches and want some inspiration. What do other vegetarians eat for lunch? My work schedule is crazy so my lunches have to be able to travel and still allow me to loose weight. Wondering what other vegetarians do.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I am also vegetarian. Let me ask some questions to help me give you suggestions. Do you have access to a microwave when you travel? Do you use things like meat substitutes? Do you omit things like soy, processed food, etc?
  • Redheadedsunshine
    Redheadedsunshine Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I like fake meat products, tbh bc it helps a lot with protein. Last year with school, I often did fake meat sandwiches (chicken/burgers bc they held up well when made in the morning and ate in the afternoon) While at work, I did something something similar but was able to heat stuff up so that expanded my options. Typically I did gardein or Morningstar products plus a veggie.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I usually do salad or eggs (boiled with wasabi mayp or deviled) or leftover veggies from dinner the night before...in the summer I love tomato and cheese sandwiches, but tomatoes are not great this time of year
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    You could just take whole fruit/veggies! I love overnight oats for anytime. Hummus, crackers, nuts.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    sbwood888 wrote: »
    I am also vegetarian. Let me ask some questions to help me give you suggestions. Do you have access to a microwave when you travel? Do you use things like meat substitutes? Do you omit things like soy, processed food, etc?

You asked all the questions I was going to ask. Except one. Do you have access to a refrigerator?
  • faithrainbow1
    faithrainbow1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've been making up four or five lunches at a time: I boil brown rice & lentils together in vegetable broth (sometimes I'll throw in some veggies if I want: spinach, cabbage, carrots) and I'll steam a whole bunch of broccoli florets. Then in each lunch container I put one-third rice/lentil mix, and two-thirds broccoli. If I want, I'll bring an extra small container of plain Greek yogurt or home made sauerkraut. It takes work to assemble them on Sundays, but it makes it super easy during the week because I literally just grab my lunch as I'm walking out the door. I can heat it up but it also tastes fine at room temp.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Sunday meal prep is my best friend. I'm a big fan of making homemade soups and freezing them in individual containers. Yesterday, I had Skinnytaste broccoli cheese soup sprinkled with nutritional yeast, raw veggies and a Greek yogurt for lunch. Today, I 'm having lentil soup drizzled with balsamic vinegar and a piece of sourdough toast with avocado on top.
  • jhsleboda
    jhsleboda Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love making a big pot of soup or bean chili on Sunday to have for lunch for the week. My favorite "chicken" noodle soup is from Hot For Food - they are Vegan and have some great recipes!
  • Icrizz
    Icrizz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I usually have a protein bar, cheese, & some kind of veggie
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly leftovers for lunches. I like to cook a big pot of beans on the weekend and make different things using that type of beans all week. If you're looking for prepackaged foods, I like Sweet Earth frozen burritos/sandwiches, Clif Builder protein bars, Babybel Light cheese, or Tasty Bite Indian meals.
  • rherring2
    rherring2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also just started meal prepping and I'm eating soo much healthier. I make a spicy peanut sauce that goes great with tofu and veggies, which I pair with brown rice, rice noodles, or wrap it in a rice paper wrapper. A filling salad, maybe one that has some lentils or quinoa in it, is also a good option.
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian, but often eat vegetarian for lunch because frankly, meat is getting so expensive! I've found a number of great recipes on Pinterest and have a vegan cookbook called "Oh She Glows" by Angela Liddon that's got some great options. She's also a blogger. Happy eating!
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Agree on soup- google around for ideas. I like to add quinoa to soups to make them more filling. If you have a place to sit with a plug nearby, I'd highly recommend you get a mini crockpot (look on Amazon- I think around $20). Put your soup in there in the morning & it's nicely heated by lunch. I like to make big batches of soup & then freeze individual portions and bring in 1 at a time. Even if you put it in there frozen, it will be heated by lunch. If you have a few types frozen, you won't get bored with the same thing every day.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Not a vegetarian, but this was my lunch nearly every day.
    1/2 cup of a seed/nut mix
    1-2 hard boiled eggs
    Banana
    Apple
    Carrots
    sliced cucumbers