Online nutrition coaching?

Options
Does anyone have any experience with an online nutrition coach? I don't need a meal plan but I do need some help in the accountability department. Basically looking for someone to review my logs and give feedback. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    How much do they charge?

Weight Watchers basically gives you external accountability. I did that for a while in the 90s and did find the weekly weigh-ins helpful. I also did the VA's TeleMOVE program and knowing someone was looking at my weigh-ins was helpful.

Put if you make your diary public here and ask for feedback, you will get no shortage of free advice.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    If you just keep track of your macronutrients yourself and get in adequate fiber and protein you're probably good.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Try avatarnutrition.com I use it and recommend it. $9.99 a month. Part owner is Layne Norton. He has a PHD in nutrition.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I'm just wary of nutrition coaches myself- I saw one and they just told me to eat less fruit and more greens and totally missed the fact that I was eating too many calories and way too little protein.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Prices vary a TON from coach to coach and so do services.

For example you could go with Layne Norton's Avatar which someone mentioned previously in this thread, but that's not coaching, that's a systemic approach to handing you calorie and macronutrient intake.

You could use FitGenie which is an Eric Helms application that basically (to my knowledge) does exactly what Avatar does, only it's free.

You could hire a coach and actually get coaching depending on who you get. Some things to be aware of:

- Some coaches just hand you a cookie cutter program along with macros and turn you loose, which may not be enough to help you depending on your needs and it's also not really "coaching".
    - Others are truly fantastic and will actually work with you based on your individual needs.

I would make sure you find out exactly what it is you are getting and I would shop around. Don't hire the first coach you come across without first checking out what your options are.

You can also find various group coaching platforms where you can get coached as part of an online group. The downside here is that there is usually minimal individualization and minimal contact in a 1-1 setting with the coach but the upside is that group coaching is less expensive.

The lowest I've seen or heard of any coach charging is about $75-100/month for actual individual coaching. The highest I've seen or heard of is over $500/month.

And so I truly mean it when I say that the price ranges as well as what you actually get, vary a TON.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Join a challenge here on this site that's what I've done, because whats the point of a nutrition coach if you don't want a meal plan. Sounds like you just need motivation to stick with your own plan.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    @SideSteel I agree with all you said and I think coaching is great. But I would like to point out with Avatar you do get feedback and can reach out to Mark and Layne for help with nutrition. The website has so much good information about nutrition basics, recipes, videos and articles. As far as motivational help goes, I think the OP can benefit from more a personal coach that can motivate and keep them accountable.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    @SideSteel I agree with all you said and I think coaching is great. But I would like to point out with Avatar you do get feedback and can reach out to Mark and Layne for help with nutrition. The website has so much good information about nutrition basics, recipes, videos and articles. As far as motivational help goes, I think the OP can benefit from more a personal coach that can motivate and keep them accountable.

Thanks for the correction!