Should you update your weight no matter what?

Options
I joined a couple of weeks ago and within the first 10 days I lost 6 lbs, but it's been 2 weeks since then and I haven't lost anything. Should I still log when I weigh myself or just leave it? Also if you gain anything back like a pound or 2 would you log that or just work your way back down? I feel like these are dumb questions but I'm a stickler for doing things right.

Replies

• Ngazey1985
    Ngazey1985 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I always log mine every week so that you can look back on the graph and sometimes you can find a pattern emerging xxxx
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I log every time I jump on the scales, gives me a pretty graph. Then every 10lbs or so I will reset my goals to drop my calories (The two are not linked in MFP)

• harrisc12
    harrisc12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I was losing, I liked to log my weight everyday no matter what. Although to avoid obsessing about the scale you have to go in with the realization that weight loss isn't necessarily linear and will fluctuate. It was kind of neat to look back at the graph, looks like a stock chart, small ups and downs, but the general direction is down.

Also knowing I was weighing myself every morning gave me a little more motivation to not cheat on myself.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I log every time I weigh, which is usually every 2-3 days (sometimes daily). MFP syncs with my FitBit account (though I now use a Garmin tracker, my Fitbit account still exists), which then syncs with TrendWeight. It is nice sometimes when I feel like I'm not making progress to be able to look at that and see whether I'm really stalled, gaining, or losing.

ETA: In order to have the most accurate data, I log everything that is relevant. Not just every scale reading, but also every bite of food.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I log my new weight every time the scale changes in either direction.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I log no my weight no matter what every week. I find it useful to have a record of that information.
    It is up to you.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I don't like seeing the weight fluctuate up and down -- so I only log weight when it goes down, and because I'm within 10-15 pounds of my final weight, I don't weigh very often. If my weight goes up, I reduce my calories and weigh myself again in a week. But that's just me. Whatever motivates you to keep going is the right answer for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    afrsilver wrote: »
    I joined a couple of weeks ago and within the first 10 days I lost 6 lbs, but it's been 2 weeks since then and I haven't lost anything. Should I still log when I weigh myself or just leave it? Also if you gain anything back like a pound or 2 would you log that or just work your way back down? I feel like these are dumb questions but I'm a stickler for doing things right.

Yes...data points let you track trends over time. Weight loss isn't a linear process, it's important to observe overall trends over time.
  • bkbirge
    bkbirge Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I log every day or every few days, usually skip weekends because I don't get up as early and I like to log the exact same time.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    There is no right way. Whichever method makes you feel the most at peace wtih what is going on is the one to go with.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I log whatever the scale days on Monday morning - down, up or the same. You can do whatever works for you however.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I log daily because then it's just habit and I don't have to dwell on the number (which goes up and down - but has a general downward trend). Like one of the other posters, I have a FitBit account which picks up the weight from here and sends it to TrendWeight so that I can see my overall progress more clearly.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I only log when I lose weight never when I gain a pound or two.....unless its a big gain and I know the reason for it..like a holiday, xmas etc.
  • cruisin99
    cruisin99 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do it daily as i like to see a downward trend overall, a couple days of bad choices and i see the weight going back on.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I only update mine every 5 pounds. That way when i panic thinking im not losing i look back and realize iv been losing 5 pounds every 20-25 days consistently since i started. Makes me feel beter im super impatient XD
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I weighed daily for a couple of years, and have now changed to every 2nd or 3rd day. I have to keep it somewhat regular as i use Trendweight, and weighing once a week or less doesn't give it enough info.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    I just log in MFP when something changes dramatically. For a while I was weighing every day and charting in Excel. This is how I learned I gain water weight at ovulation as well as premenstrually.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I only log my weight loss in mfp simply because I don't want to annoy my friends on my newsfeed when I lose the same lb over and over:). And I don't take it off my newsfeed because I do like "atta girls" once in awhile:).

I do log it in happy scales pretty much daily though.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and log in Happy Scale to track the trend and fluctuations. I log each new low in MFP. That way when MFP says "You've lost x lbs since last weigh in" it's a TRUE loss towards my ultimate goal and not a fluctuation.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    hookandy wrote: »
    I log every time I jump on the scales, gives me a pretty graph. Then every 10lbs or so I will reset my goals to drop my calories (The two are not linked in MFP)

I've noticed this, and also when you do change your weight in the goals, it resets you macro levels so I have to remember to go in and up my protein.