Options
124»

Replies

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    sharnut751 wrote: »
    shaking my salad like that will bruise the vegetables and they will lose their nutritional value. I asked where she heard this from and she said she was pretty sure she heard that on Dr. Oz.

Dr. Oz, huh ... :D
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Matahairi wrote: »
    This post really made my day. Laughing at all the comments as I type this. I hate Dr. Oz. Most other dietitians feel the same way. He's such a snake-potion charlatan and I'm constantly correcting people and their crazy logic. Don't get me started on alkaline water. Please!
    I'm saddened and amazed how gullible people can be when they're desperate. My coworker kept asking me to "make her a diet to lose weight". After many months of telling her to track her food and increase her activity, which she didn't accept or want to do, I finally made something up just to see her reaction.
    I told her she needs to eat only long, skinny things and she will be tall and thin (i.e. Chinese long beans, carrots cut into thin strips, chicken and turkey julienne style, etc). I told her not to eat grapes, or tomatoes, or melons because they are round and they will make HER round.
    She really thought I was serious, guys! OMG, really??? Of course I told her it was a joke, but she kept asking me if cantaloupe will make her rounder.
    I stopped giving her nutrition advice, even though I'm a Registered Dietitian. People want to believe what they want. The scary thing is when they start sharing this stupid info or have a nationwide tv show.

You are hilarious. You could've started your own cult, The Long Skinny Things, do your own show. I am sure you'll get a lot of followers.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So THAT'S why people won't buy the bruised apples at the store! All the keep-the-doctor-away-ness will have leaked out.

Oh boy :anguished:

I buy them because I feel bad for them.

I feel bad for the fruit.

:( I'm shameful :(
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Matahairi wrote: »
    This post really made my day. Laughing at all the comments as I type this. I hate Dr. Oz. Most other dietitians feel the same way. He's such a snake-potion charlatan and I'm constantly correcting people and their crazy logic. Don't get me started on alkaline water. Please!
    I'm saddened and amazed how gullible people can be when they're desperate. My coworker kept asking me to "make her a diet to lose weight". After many months of telling her to track her food and increase her activity, which she didn't accept or want to do, I finally made something up just to see her reaction.
    I told her she needs to eat only long, skinny things and she will be tall and thin (i.e. Chinese long beans, carrots cut into thin strips, chicken and turkey julienne style, etc). I told her not to eat grapes, or tomatoes, or melons because they are round and they will make HER round.
    She really thought I was serious, guys! OMG, really??? Of course I told her it was a joke, but she kept asking me if cantaloupe will make her rounder.
    I stopped giving her nutrition advice, even though I'm a Registered Dietitian. People want to believe what they want. The scary thing is when they start sharing this stupid info or have a nationwide tv show.

So if I make my smoothies out of long skinny things will I rip a hole in the space/time continuum?

Possibly...

Do it! For Science!!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    What I want to know is what control this person has over your life or ours?

If the person is a manager or leader perhaps you could have fun. If they're an MD?

If they interact with the public you have a duty to make a PSA.

Good luck I hope this person has no influence on your life or mine.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you breathe in, and not out, while you chew.

no snorting noises. got it. after all, why should random bystanders get to breathe in the nutrient benefits of all my hard work? let them chew their own damn food.

i honestly don't know what just happened here. my grandmother spent years trying to get us to hold still so she could 'seal' our split ends with a lit match, does that count in the same category?

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I like to add the dressing to my salad and then close the container and shake it up to distribute the dressing. While doing this today, my coworker frantically said, "No, stop shaking your salad." Confused, I stopped and she immediately informed me that shaking my salad like that will bruise the vegetables and they will lose their nutritional value. I asked where she heard this from and she said she was pretty sure she heard that on Dr. Oz. I thanked her for the tip and then want back to shaking my salad. Oy

Lol. You dealt with her the best way. Arguing would have just frustrated you
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    So what happens to the nutrients when the wind blows in a garden?

You get really bloated when you eat them and fa*t out all the nutrients.

Cheers, h.

Cork up, errryone!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    The responses have made my day. I shook my salad again today. She just looked at me and shook her head. Lol.

She is going to bruise her brain doing that.
    The responses have made my day. I shook my salad again today. She just looked at me and shook her head. Lol.

tell her shaking her head like that will cause brain cells to fall out of her ears

Too late.
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    So what happens to the nutrients when the wind blows in a garden?

You get really bloated when you eat them and fa*t out all the nutrients.

Cheers, h.

Cork up, errryone!

So does this mean that instead of holding our noses when someone lets one off, we should be eagerly breathing in those nutrients...??

Hmm. Maybe I'll just stick to getting them directly from my own food...!
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I swear people are just getting more and more stupid...from a logic standpoint, it doesn't even make sense.

The other day I was bemoaning the lack of non fat free yogurt at the store and told my husband that fat is good for the brain and the rise in the number of stupid people is due to too many people eating fat free foods. I was joking at the time but now every time I read something stupid I wonder how much fat the person gets in his/her diet.

Americans get plenty of fat, way more than they need. Processed foods and restaurant food are filled with fat, but you won't catch that being advertised. We've replaced vitamin rich dairy fat with omega 6 rich seed oils. (And then slathered more seed oil on top)
    https://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/nutrient_content_of_the_us_food_supply/FoodSupply1909-2004Report.pdf
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    Also, if you break a cookie in half, all the calories will fall out! :D

Thanks for the tip! Off to eat a package of Oreos!
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Your coworker probably read it on Facebook and someone used Dr Oz's name stating it as fact when it's not.
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    earthnut wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I swear people are just getting more and more stupid...from a logic standpoint, it doesn't even make sense.

The other day I was bemoaning the lack of non fat free yogurt at the store and told my husband that fat is good for the brain and the rise in the number of stupid people is due to too many people eating fat free foods. I was joking at the time but now every time I read something stupid I wonder how much fat the person gets in his/her diet.

Americans get plenty of fat, way more than they need. Processed foods and restaurant food are filled with fat, but you won't catch that being advertised. We've replaced vitamin rich dairy fat with omega 6 rich seed oils. (And then slathered more seed oil on top)
    https://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/nutrient_content_of_the_us_food_supply/FoodSupply1909-2004Report.pdf

But that's not half as much fun as @jemhh 's explanation!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

I sincerely hope you kept eye contact with her as you were shaking those nutrients right out of the salad!