Runners: Need advice on increasing weekly mileage/number of run days

Options
Hello :)

I'm currently running about 17k a week, split between one long run of 7k and two 5k runs (one a parkrun and one that is hills or intervals). A couple of years ago I was having bad ITB problems which left me on the injury bench for ages, but I've been doing loads of strength work which seems to have done the trick.

I need to increase my long run as I'm training for a 10k in a couple of months, but I'd also like to run 4 days a week instead of 3. Any ideas on the best way to do this? I'm a bit paranoid about getting injured again, especially now that I've got a dog that I run with and she really needs the exercise! The other exercises I do are weights, yoga, dog walking and the occasional rowing machine session.

Thanks for any tips. :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    add in the 4th day, starting really short, like 2-3k, and build it up to 5k, and keep your mileage the same the other days, and then add to your long run to make it 10k and your shorter ones if you like from there.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I went from 3 to 5 running days from one week to the next, and that was not a problem. 4 of the runs are easy though. Most sessions should be done with low intensity (if you are using a hrm most sessions is carried out on zone 2)

Your best bet is to find a training program suited for your level. you can aslo have a professional to make you a program. That is what I did.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    What @TavistockToad said is what I would do.
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think I'll try adding a very short run on the 4th day and see how I do. When I got injured I was doing bog all cross training (bad bad bad idea!!!) so hopefully all the strength training I'm doing will help my legs hold up.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Endomondo is pretty good for customized training plans.- Tell it your goal race distance, date, how many days a week you want to run, and current weekly mileage, and it will give you a plan and tweak every week based on how you are doing.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    For adding the 4th day, you can keep your weekly mileage the same, add in the 4th day but do fewer miles on the other days. i.e. 7, 5, 5 becomes 6, 4, 4, 3. In a week, add a km to two of the runs. In a week add another km.

There are several different ways of adding overall mileage safely. One is the "10% rule" of adding 10% each week for three weeks then cutting back for a week, then continuing to add mileage gradually. Yes it's a generality which works best for mid-level runners, not absolute beginners or high mileage runners, but it isn't a bad rule of thumb. Another common way of adding mileage is to add one mile for every day your run (i.e. for you currently 3 miles or 5km.) and hold that distance for 3 to 4 weeks, then do it again.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    When I was distance running I typically only ran 3 days a week because I found I really needed a day off my feet between runs. I just kept working my way up, mostly half a mile at a time. I would to a short run, a long run where I pushed my distance, and a medium length that I kind of gauged on how I was feeling.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    add in the 4th day, starting really short, like 2-3k, and build it up to 5k, and keep your mileage the same the other days, and then add to your long run to make it 10k and your shorter ones if you like from there.

Pretty much this. It really helps adding the fourth day as you can maintain a weekly increase of less that 10% as well as your long being 25-30% of your weekly cumulative mileage.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I suggest following a plan for your 10k. Try one of the Higdon plans or similar. Maybe start with the novice and then try the intermediate.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10-K-Training-Guide-Novice-Program

Good luck.
  • Gtkozik
    Gtkozik Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Do long slow runs
  • xBobbieJo
    xBobbieJo Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    EauRouge1 wrote: »
    Hello :)

I'm currently running about 17k a week, split between one long run of 7k and two 5k runs (one a parkrun and one that is hills or intervals). A couple of years ago I was having bad ITB problems which left me on the injury bench for ages, but I've been doing loads of strength work which seems to have done the trick.

I need to increase my long run as I'm training for a 10k in a couple of months, but I'd also like to run 4 days a week instead of 3. Any ideas on the best way to do this? I'm a bit paranoid about getting injured again, especially now that I've got a dog that I run with and she really needs the exercise! The other exercises I do are weights, yoga, dog walking and the occasional rowing machine session.

Thanks for any tips. :)

I would like you in my group! Reach out to me!
    [edited by mods]