Starting over - first weigh in

Options
Hi!

I've never really posted on MFP before but have been a long time user of the app. I lost about 20kgs (45lbs) in 2012 and became really quite fit and strong - a very proud achievement for me. I maintained it for almost a year but, following the unexpected death of my Dad, I have steadily gained it all back (plus some!) at a rate of about 10kgs (22lbs) a year. I now weigh in at 93 kilos (205lbs). I think I comfort ate and drank and stopped doing things that I knew would make me feel better - like exercise.

I have had a number of false starts to having a healthier lifestyle over the last 2 - 3 years but haven't been able to stick to it. Until now! I'm about two weeks in to a healthier lifestyle and have been working out and eating well and I feel pretty darn great. I really believe this time I have committed to maintaining healthy eating and regular exercise for good. I am excited about looking and feeling like I used to.

I'm after your thoughts (reassurance?!) because I had my first weigh in today and - despite doing everything "right" in terms of eating and workouts - I have gained a kilo (2lbs). I know there are a range of reasons why this can happen (water retention, DOMS, etc) but can't help feel really disappointed because I constantly hear of people starting on a lifestyle change and drop a couple of kilos in the first couple of weeks. It was certainly true for me last time.

I have been eating about 1200-1300 calories a day (mostly higher protein, low carb - which my body best responds to), lifting weights and doing cardio. Is it possible my muscle composition is already changing and that's why I'm heavier this week? Also, while about 1300 calories has worked for me for weight loss in the past I'm wondering whether I should be eating a bit more so the change to my diet isn't so radical? I know I have to keep going and it'll happen but I just feel a bit dejected about gaining in the first weigh in.

Sorry for the long post - appreciate any words of encouragement or thoughts about what could be going on here! :smile:

Thanks so much!
Ash

Replies

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you feel the calories are too low then you can increase by a few hundred calories and see if you get better results and feel better. 1200 seems way too low for a 205 pound person.

I wouldn't stress about the 1 kilo gain- retaining water is normal with increased exercise and also is within the range of normal weight fluctuation.

Also try to weigh fist thing in the morning only- I gain 3 to 4 pounds throughout the course of the day, then it dissipates during sleep. If you weigh at different times of day you're going to get more fluctuation and less reliable readings.

Actually now that I think about it I have heard of people stalling their weight loss by consuming too few calories- so yes probably a good idea to increase a bit. Also you don't want your calories less than your BMR because it can cause adverse side effects to your health.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? Do you weigh and measure your food? How much sleep do you get? These are all possible factors. Glad you are back on track and motivated to make long term changes.
  • ashleymmbent
    ashleymmbent Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    wahmx3 wrote: »
    How much water are you drinking? Do you weigh and measure your food? How much sleep do you get? These are all possible factors. Glad you are back on track and motivated to make long term changes.

Thank you! I drink about 2 litres of water a day (approx 4 pints I think?), I have been weighing and measuring pretty much everything and get about 7 hours sleep a night, on average. I had thought I was pretty spot on for the past couple of weeks which is why I was so surprised to have gained.

But, as previous poster mentioned - I probably shouldn't stress as yet :)
  • Motherofship
    Motherofship Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    All of the reasons mentioned by you and other comments could be part of it.

I agree that 1200 calories seems too low based on both your CW and exercise. If you're exercising a lot, you need to fuel your body. You might also be adding muscle, especially if you were really out of shape. When I start working out after a period of inactivity, It takes my body quite a while--months, even--to find a balance between adding muscle and losing fat (since you can't technically do both at once). Although I'm not seeing much net weight loss, my body composition is absolutely changing for the better, and I look slimmer and tighter. That's ultimately what I'm working for, not a specific number!

Drinking more water could help you in that your body actually retains less water when you're drinking enough or more than enough of it. But water weight (a few pounds one way or the other) is not important. The overall trend is important. Two weeks is not enough time to see a sustained downward pattern of weight loss. Give it a month, then two months...if you keep up what you're doing, you will lose weight. It's really healthier to lose it slower; when I drop fast, I gain faster!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    No, you haven't gained muscle mass in that short amount of time. But if you just started strength training, your muscles are retaining water as a result. Expect to see a big "whoosh" in a few weeks when they finally let go of it.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hey OP. I've found myself that after losing a bunch of weight and then steadily gaining, my body now takes a few weeks to "respond" to healthy eating. So now I wait three-four weeks before worrying that something isn't right. I've had weeks where is lose 2.-3 lbs and weeks where I gain (mysteriously). But all in all, my weighy loss is averaging 1 lb per week (down 25 lbs so far). You can do this ! You have proof from yourself juat a few years ago. :)
  • eIIekay
    eIIekay Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I found that it was always the first week that broke me in many tries that I have had before this one. I would see the scale, be unhappy, and give up, thinking I had no metabolism. This last time, I kept going anyway...and shortly after, my body started losing. Sometimes it takes a bit to catch up. Also, when I work out, I'm heavier if my muscles are sore...somehow this causes water retention. Stick with it, even though it is discouraging...the numbers indicate it HAS to work! I am around the same as you and I find that 1500 is a good calorie intake for me...I'm not hungry, can stick with it longer term, and i lose weight faster than the 1lb/week that I put in when i stay within goal. Good luck on your journey!
  • soobie
    soobie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashley, I have a very similar story. I thought I had rounded the corner and would mainain my eating regimen and healthy lifestyle. Then 3 years ago, my brother's suicide and some injuries took me off course. I had lost 40 pounds and now find myself 60 pounds heavier. I have stopped and started , but two weeks ago I felt like this might be the time.....So far I'm down about 8-10 pounds(depending on the day). I am eating low carb/ high fat and progressing to slow carb high fat. It's similar to how I lost weight a few years ago. I'm limiting sugar and gluten(though not 100 percent). I've found bumping my calories up a bit has helped.
    I also read the 4 hour body and am thinking of trying that regimen with the weekly cheat day reset but only once I am in more of a groove. In hindsight, I think I relied too much on the numbers on the scale, this time it may drive me initially, but I hope to move away from the numbers if I plateau.
  • ashleymmbent
    ashleymmbent Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your encouragement and words of wisdom! I really appreciate it. You have reminded me that I shouldn't stress or get disillusioned by the scales after only two weeks - this is a long road and it will work if I keep going! Thanks so much.
  • Natzmom
    Natzmom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's still early in the journey. I lost 7 lbs my first week, then the scale didn't budge for over 3 weeks! I kept at it, though, and finally started seeing little losses. You've got this! I am sorry for the loss of your Dad. He would be proud that you are taking care of yourself and living a healthy, happy life.