Too depressed to start

Options
I feel like I have tried to lose weight too many times. I've never stayed committed therefore all I've ever done is gain weight. Now it's to the point where, because I know this, I feel defeated before I start. I'm super depressed about my weight and appearance, yet don't know where to go or what to do.. I find comfort in food. I know there's probably nothing anybody can say to help, but if there is, please comment down below or send me a friend request.

Replies

• billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    There is nothing worse than trying and being unsuccessful. Success is motivating. I started a year ago eating low carb high fat and have lost 120 pounds without exercise and without being hungry or having cravings. You will see results quickly if you give it a try. research it and one great website is dietdoctor.com nothing to buy just read
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've been there, too, and am just coming off a two-year period of not logging food. I just grew tired of being hyper-vigilant, so stopped. I found this to be a mistake because it has been a fight for control every since. Pattern of not logging leads me to give myself permission to overeat. Overeating then leads to avoiding the scale. Avoiding the scale leads to start feeling that my clothes don't fit, not knowing if it is just water retention, carb bloat or whatever. Luckily, I have had to weigh in every month at Weight Watcher, so did have to face the scale there. I say "luckily" because in the past, I'd pile on 40 lbs before I'd get serious again. Two weeks ago, after seeing I'd gone up by 5 lbs, I came back to MFP logging. I felt less depressed immediately -- because I was DOING something: I had an action plan again, one I knew could work. I feel in control again because I have taken this one step. Long story short: You can take one step, such as logging food, and feel better almost immediately knowing you have a plan.. Good luck to you, and you can do this!
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Depression is an illness. If that's what you mean, get treated for it.

If you mean that you are too unhappy to start, then take some advice from someone who waited way too long to learn this lesson: If you are so unhappy about it, do something about it. Nobody else is going to do it for you. Take responsibility for the problem and address it.

It's not that hard, you just have to do it. You have already taken one big step by being here. The next step is to log your meals religiously and to aim for modest calorie deficits daily. If you do that, and you stick with it, you will lose weight. Some regular physical activity helps, too. Doing those things, I have lost 43 pounds this year, on my way to my goal of 50 (hopefully by my birthday next month, we'll see). You can do this!

If you aren't willing to do those things, then you don't really want to lose weight.
  • SeniorsRock
    SeniorsRock Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Billglitch that's exactly what my daughter is doing and boy is she on a roll. I'm going to start as soon as I right down my mean plans to accommodate my likes and busy schedule. Erika96ritter failing is not so bad just as long as you look at it from another perspective. Now you know what your triggers are and what don't work for you. Make another go at it.....and another......and another if necessary. Just don't give up! Look like there's a lot of support here. Use your tool and your resources. You are not alone!
  • lifestyle70
    lifestyle70 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    First let me begin by saying, Go Badgers! (I grew up in WI and moved at age 24). A few years ago I lost about 18 pounds and felt great. Those 18 have come back slowly over time and it does not seem to be as easy as I thought it was to get rid of. Then I realized that I forgot about what I did over that 3-4 month period of time to lose the weight. Key idea there was the 3-4 months. I feel like I want it instantly now to happen. As you are thinking about getting back on track, think of the things you would like to change: eating habits, activity level etc. Then pick one of them to focus on for a few weeks. Let it develop into a habit, then when ready, start another small change and continue until that becomes a habit. Work towards some small victories.

This past week I was not perfect with my eating and activity levels. I probably had some form of chocolate every night and had two pieces of very delicious beer bread with some soup last night. Over the course of the week however, I was able to lose 1.8 pounds. I didn't have to be perfect this week, I just had to be better than last week. Best of luck to you, you can do this.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    By not starting at all do you think you'll reach your goals?

If you want it enough you'll do what it takes to obtain it. You need to stop wishing and start doing. I remember there was a point in my life where I wished I could just wake up one day with the weight lost and just be happy. The problem with that though is that all the wishing in the world never made it happen. I had to finally hit my rock bottom and become desperate to make the wishing into doing. But you;ll never get there if you never start.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    You already have the motivation because you are depressed about your weight. Now get this.

Share a thought or two that motivated me, and I mean this to motivate, not to discourage you.... Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to remain the same & If you are not ready to change, then perhaps you are not yet in enough pain.

There is a theory I learned in psych class long ago and that is people do what they do to either gain pleasure or to avoid pain. (Motivation guru Tony Robbins also teaches this) Example: I dont want to exercise today because it will hurt, and it will take too much time, and I would rather lay on the couch and watch TV. But you have to flip it somehow in your head. Associate massive pain to laying around on the couch, eating garbage and being depressed. Associate pain because the food you eat causes weight gain, diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and its going to shorten your life! AND you already said that you are depressed about your weight! Again - associate MASSIVE pain to your weight, to eating garbage, and to the feeling of depression. So much pain that you can NOT bear to live like that one minute more. Than associate pleasure to thriving in life by eating healthy, and exercising!

When you can get your head in that place, you will be unfreakingstoppable.

It worked for me. 100 pounds. From being called "fatboy" to running marathons and becoming a vegan.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I lost 60+ lbs, just to gain it back extremely fast plus another 15 lbs. I got extremely depressed during this time and thought I was stuck and hopeless. What helped me was finding an activity I enjoyed and would look forward too. For me this was lifting weights, but it could be anything. Swimming, golfing, etc etc. It doesn't have to be a sport, just something to keep you active that you truly enjoy.
    After I while I wanted to eat better and take better care of my body. I've slowly continued to learn and make better choices. It has been a process for me, but I am down 30 lbs from my heaviest and never been more focused on hitting my goals in a sustainable way.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    One thing that might help is to just commit to tracking your food everyday and see what it's telling you and where you might make small tweaks in a way where you don't feel deprived or totally overwhelmed.
  • isaacgoulter
    isaacgoulter Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm the same as you have tried heaps and sometimes it's been good then I fall back to old habits. but first time here so I'm going to get back into it and work hard :). good luck add me as a friend :)
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    "There is something to be said for keeping at a thing, isn't there?"
    ~ Frank Sinatra

"Every great cause is born from repeated failures and from imperfect achievements."
    ~ Maria Montessori

"Little minds are tamed and subdued by misfortune;
    but great minds rise above them."
    ~ Washington Irving

"No matter how hard you work for success, if your thought is saturated with the fear of failure, it will kill your efforts, neutralize your endeavors and make success impossible."
    ~ Baudjuin

"I don't believe I have special talents, I have persistence … After the first failure, second failure, third failure, I kept trying."
    ~ Carlo Rubbia, Nobel Prize winning Physicist

"Flops are a part of life's menu
    and I've never been a girl to miss out on any of the courses."
    ~ Rosalind Russell

"Our achievements speak for themselves.
    What we have to keep track of are our failures, discouragements, and doubts.
    We tend to forget the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful groping.
    We see our past achievements as the end result of a clean forward thrust,
    and our present difficulties as signs of decline and decay."
    ~ Eric Hoffer

"I never learned a thing from a tournament I won."
    ~ Bobby Jones

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can achieve greatly."
    ~ Robert F. Kennedy

"Great success is built on failure, frustration, even catastrophy."
    ~ Sumner Redstone

"Failing is one of the greatest arts in the world. One fails toward success." ~ Charles Kettering
    "Failure provides the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently." ~ Henry Ford
    "The fastest way to succeed is to double your failure rate." ~ Thomas Watson Sr.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
    ~ Confucius

Name 10 successful or famous people who got to where they are by having never failed. You cant. Cause everyone fails. Its those who get back up that eventually succeed. There is a professor at MIT who offers a course on failure. He does that, he says, because failure is a far more common experience than success. An interviewer once asked him if anybody ever failed the course on failure. He thought a moment and replied, "No, but there were two Incompletes."

-Pajaras.. on failing
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sweet heart there a lots of lovely people in the world who are overweight. So what? You could be the size of jabba the hut and you would still be you. Perhaps it would help to rethink your ideas and to be kinder to yourself. i have been thin and i have been fat and i have always been me. Losing weight can be really hard...or it can be relatively easy. And a lot of it has to do with being kind to yourself...having fun...accepting that it may take time...and focusing on the positive. Also basing your value as a person on how you look or how much you weigh is always dangerous and a dead end and NEVER good for you
  • ellebronwyn89
    ellebronwyn89 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have been on this road many many times. Each time I have dropped around 40-80 pounds and gained it all back and then some each and every time. I used to beat myself up, but then I thought...how many people can say they lost 50 pounds 6 times over...that's 300 pounds haha. Just try your hardest and don't give up!
  • Fracicciopes
    Fracicciopes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well, being here talking about it, is a good first step.
    I (and i guess everyone) will never tell you "It's easy, You will have great results since first day bla bla bla", because it's hard. Really hard. But step by step you must never give up.
    I know what you feel. Being depressed for the over weight make you sad and sadness and depression makes you eat a lot because you see food as a good way to feel better.
    I was like that 2 years ago. I gained quite 100 lbs because i felt ugly and fat, so i was sad and starting eating a lot. All that food made me more fat, so i was more sad and needed more food. And so on.
    When i realized that quite all jeans were too small and i was gasping even doing the 10 stairs of my home, I started with the diary of what i was eating and at the end of the day i saw that the amount of calories was double of what i really needed. Then i started some exercise at home, then started walking outside for a couple of km. Then started running for 1-2 km and now i do 10 km quite every day
    Since that day i lost quite 50 lbs but i have to lose some more.
    The journey is long and full of difficulties, but if i can do it, you for sure can do it!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have been fighting my weight my entire life. I have a hormone balance that makes it REALLY easy to gain weight and VERY difficult to lose it. I've tried and quit and restarted COUNTLESS times because I just didn't know what to do.

In April 2011, I could barely walk from the parking lot of my daughters school to the cafeteria. That was my "defining moment" which got me moving: I went to see a bariatric surgeon as my all-time-last-resort. He wanted me to lose 90 pounds before he'd do surgery. I was really discouraged by that number because I thought if I could've done that I would have already. He had me set appointments with a bariatric dietician, and go see a therapist. I ended up losing 115 pounds on my own, and decided not to have the surgery. He told me most people would only lose about 30 pounds and stall out. He told me I'd be a perfect candidate for the surgery because I'd shown discipline. I didn't listen.

Life happened next - my dad was diagnosed with multiple myeloma (a bad @ss cancer) and passed away within a couple years, I fought for (and won) my job back when my employer came after me for making .02% error rate when entering data for membership, and ended up resigning when their plan of improvement would have required at least 3 people to perform. After having lost 143 pounds overall, I ended up gaining about 100 of it back.

I've been back on track for about a month now and lost about 9 pounds so far, but still 48 pounds from my "all time high". This time, I've just gotten tired and frustrated for not having finished the job the first time. I'm tired of having excess skin on my thighs. I'm tired of having to lay the seat back in my car enough so that my belly doesn't rub the steering wheel. I don't want to be embarrassed going swimming. I want to be able to swim with my kids, and be able to keep up with them.

Find something that is worth it. Worth the effort to make changes to your lifestyle. It'll be scary, BUT you can do it. If I can do this with a husband and 2 kids, you can do it. Find comfort in other things. Long, hot bubble baths. Take up knitting or quilting. Maybe do genealogical research on your family. Make sure you monitor your input - try to lessen the negative and increase the positive. No bashing yourself for poor choices or because the food addict in you got loose.

My dad said that when you get cancer, all they can try to do is cage the beast so it doesn't get worse. I feel like that with my food addiction. I've never ever started losing weight and gotten to my goal weight. Not in 35-ish years of trying. This time is different - hoping/praying for it to continue to be different.

You can do this. You can commit to this. It is worth it. YOU are worth it. Make the decision and let's finish it!
  • kerrigregory448
    kerrigregory448 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was where you are just two weeks ago when I decided that this was the year. It was hard to get motivated because I had no accountability. Since I know what works for me ,like social workouts I started with a personal trainer with the goal to join a social workout group. Finally I was getting the accountability and getting a high working out, but I knew that food was my biggest problem, so then I asked a very good friend to help me set up MFP/food logging on. believe me I hate logging food but found that the more you do it the more it gets easier. I am obsessed with it now and wonder how well I'll do in 2 months. I am learning what to eat amd what not to eat. Knowlesge is power. But every day is a new day and I have failed some days but reading success stories gets me through with their quotes. I wish you the best and challenge you to take the first step to getting active.