Alcoholism unanonymous

Options
The hardest part of this "journey" for me is the absence of alcohol.
I am always thinner when i do drink. I drink a ton, and feel too amazing to eat. But i have been workimg on my sobriety which im ok with but i eat like a *kitten*.
Anyone in a disclosed point of recovery?

Replies

• candythorns
    candythorns Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    @sarahbums maybe i just need to learn how to properly eat again. Congrats on your dedication.
  • koalastare
    koalastare Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I drink way too much and is nearly solely the cause of my weight gain. I know this because last year i had a job where i had to blow zeros twice a day and started work at 3am. So i had to cut down significantly. Without changing anything else i lost heaps of weight. But then i left that job and i put on heaps of weight as i fell into my old habits.
  • hayleymarshall3
    hayleymarshall3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My drinking is going to make or break my weight loss. I'm an alcoholic though... it's hard.
  • canadian_bakin
    canadian_bakin Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am always thinner when i do drink. I drink a ton, and feel too amazing to eat. But i have been workimg on my sobriety which im ok with but i eat like a *kitten*.

Really not sure if I'd consider myself an alcoholic, however, I gave up booze on Jan 9, 2016. I was thinner when I drank *kicks rocks*
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking 40 days ago due to just drinking too much, too often. The majority of my weight gain is due to drinking and then making poor food choices.

I feel so much better without it. I have so much more energy and almost never overeat. I'm losing weight steadily. One of he best decisions I ever made.
  • candythorns
    candythorns Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Really not sure if I'd consider myself an alcoholic, however, I gave up booze on Jan 9, 2016. I was thinner when I drank *kicks rocks*

Thats what im dealing with. Its easy to be skinny when you replace food with booze!
  • Hulbert0089
    Hulbert0089 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm a social drinker and it doesn't affect my work or relationships. Just for fun every now and then. My problem is that the day after a few beers/drinks I can't control my hunger impulses. I could eat a chipotle burrito and still crave something else a few hours later. If it's once or twice a week it's a guarantee to add 2lbs a month.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    @tat2cookie very cool! Keep us updated on your progress. It has been 6 months since my last drink, and it's totally worth it! You absolutely can do it, as long as you want it :)
  • ishmallow
    ishmallow Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    I am now 13 days alcohol free. Sadly this is the longest I have gone without a drink in years. I went from having a glass or 2 on the weekend to 4-6 glasses a night. I finally got to a place where I knew I needed to make a change. I know it's going to be a long road, but I'm finally ready to change.

Hell yeah!
  • Irv2015
    Irv2015 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Amazing stories. Take a look at soberistas - it's the MFP equivalent for those trying to kick alcohol - success stories, etc. I have been trying to be more moderate with consumption as it leads to bad food choices for me (and the obvs health impact).
  • ishmallow
    ishmallow Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Also, I noticed I rode the high from my lift straight into the buzz from the alcohol. What normally feels an awesome and pleasant ride into bedtime just fizzled out as soon as the alcohol wore off.

Don't ruin your post workout highs!! :smiley:
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm a social drinker and it doesn't affect my work or relationships. Just for fun every now and then. My problem is that the day after a few beers/drinks I can't control my hunger impulses. I could eat a chipotle burrito and still crave something else a few hours later. If it's once or twice a week it's a guarantee to add 2lbs a month.
    Have you tried drinking more water on those days?
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've had some issue with drinking in the past and made the choice to try and go alcohol free for all of 2017 (so far so good...but, you know, it's only the 15th). I'm a little worried as to what this will do to my body since I've read some posts about people gaining and losing weight here. I'm trying to maintain. I guess I'll just have to take it one day at a time. I'd love some accountability friends. People to check in and make sure I've been sticking with it.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Tabbycat00 wrote: »
    I've had some issue with drinking in the past and made the choice to try and go alcohol free for all of 2017 (so far so good...but, you know, it's only the 15th). I'm a little worried as to what this will do to my body since I've read some posts about people gaining and losing weight here. I'm trying to maintain. I guess I'll just have to take it one day at a time. I'd love some accountability friends. People to check in and make sure I've been sticking with it.

@Tabbycat00 nice work so far :) I am absolutely here for you if you need a friend and accountability in your resolution! One of the hardest parts of giving up alcohol is that usually our friends all drink so it can be tough to say no, so hopefully if you have someone with the same habits and values you can stay committed!