Any other 'oldies' who are trying to shuffle their body clocks back to their mental age?

Options
5n00py
5n00py Posts: 125 Member
I'm Mike, nudging 60, living by myself on a hobby farm just out of Stawell in Victoria, Australia. 182cms / 6'0" (Not sure why my height is shrinking as I've lost a couple of inches since I was a teenager!), was 117kgs (258lbs) in September last year, and am shooting for 82kgs (180lbs).

I've been on various "diets" since everything fell apart a few years back and I let myself go. I have basically been vegetarian for a number of years as I consumed very little dead animal. I moved to whole foods last year, with more exercise and the weight finally started to move in the right direction.

I'm looking for any folk (of any age as my male brain still thinks it's 18 years old!) who are making a real effort to achieve results to become my "healthy competition" that MFP keeps trying to suggest to me. I currently have a count of "0" active MFP pals.

I'm not after any sort of romance, just some e-buddies so we can support each other on this "journey".

To add an extra level of difficulty to my journey, I am also transitioning to a full wholefoods vegan diet, and simplifying my life as much as possible.

63398348.png

Replies

• sookiehaden
    sookiehaden Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hi mike, sounds like you have a sensible idea on weight loss,wish i was that good. i am trying to get fitter, doing it slow but i think i am on the right track also. god luck keep in touch if you want would be great to have someone to talk to.
  • sookiehaden
    sookiehaden Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    good... not god, well him to i guess :p
  • 5n00py
    Options
    good... not god, well him to i guess :p

I'll pass on that omnipotent fella, but if I can figure out how to send you a friend request, I'll be doing that @sookiehaden!

• timetochange52
    timetochange52 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike. I'll send you a friend request. I'm 55 and I've finally gotten back on track. Not at all a vegan since I'm following a keto plan but hopefully we can put those differences aside? Good luck on your journey!
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the loss of height; it's bone loss, of course. I'm in the same boat. Good on you to be working on your overall health, which includes eating mindfully and simply. Like you, I eat very little meat. I also simplify meals by having the same breakfast every day (oatmeal). Ditto for lunch (apple, celery, peanut butter). No thinking involved here, simple and fresh. I roam around in the MFP discussions and enjoy hearing others' stories, as well as adding my own thoughts but no longer use the friends element. I'll check in on the discussion here to see what ideas come forth. Good luck on your journey!
  • 5n00py
    Options
    Sorry about the loss of height; it's bone loss, of course....
    Hiya @sbrownallison, I helped the height adjustment along a little by getting mangled in a motorbike crash when I was 22 and breaking both legs rather severely. I've since had my right foot amputated, and my left knee totally replaced. Each operation on my legs seems to have taken another inch away! (Hopefully, any further shrinking is still years away!!!)

From your post count, it certainly looks like you are quite active in saying hello. I guess I'll bump into you again as I check out more on the forums. Thanks for your welcome!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Shrinkage is cartilage compression in your spine. Congratulations. You've lived long enough to experience it.
    Bone loss, osteoporosis, is a serious problem and you can get tested for that. Experiencing either of these at age 59 seems early to me.
  • Smiledrinkwater
    Smiledrinkwater Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would love to join you along your journey. Today is my first day to a new improved self. Going to clean out my fridge today and get out for a long walk. I look forward to seeing your progress
  • 5n00py
    Options
    Shrinkage is cartilage compression in your spine....
    Thanks @JeromeBarry1 , but I actually gave the shrinkage a head start when I broke both legs quite severely in a motorbike crash when I was 22. In the multitudes of operations that followed, I seem to leave hospital an inch shorter than each time I've gone in! But, that might be expected when there's amputations and total knee replacements included.

• 5n00py
    Options
    I would love to join you along your journey. Today is my first day to a new improved self. Going to clean out my fridge today and get out for a long walk. I look forward to seeing your progress

So glad to have you in my list of new pals @Smiledrinkwater ! Is there some plan with the fridge (and pantry) clean out? A clear out sounds like a good plan, except if the subsequent shopping trips gradually replenish the nasties collection.