Stress relief suggestions

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
edited January 2017 in Motivation and Support
Got hit with a bomb last night that's triggered my stress levels through the roof (or so it feels). What I would do to relieve the stress I "can't" (I can do them, but they would start up either addiction cycles or gaining all my weight back) do any longer. Need some suggestions.

What works, but I "can't" do - eating, smoking, drinking, and self-harm.

What doesn't work - sex and exercise.

What I am doing - sitting on the bed in the dark and letting the rage stew, occasionally crying until I start suffocating from snot overload.

I've tried "meditation" (clearing my thoughts, thinking of "good", "calm" places/people). Rage always finds a way in.

ETA: Stupid kitten word replacement!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I was going to say boxing... But you said no exercise.

Is going somewhere else an option - spend the day either on your own or with someone you love, doing something fun/enjoyable?

And sending hugs... And tissues for the snot.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Can you leave and go somewhere calming? Get out of your current environment? Beach, forest, aquarium, park? Just sitting in the quiet someplace "away" helps me. There are new things to look at and distract me from what's happening in my brain, and the nature washing over me is soothing. If it's cold, just bundle up and bring a hot drink.

I also find that journaling helps me. It changes from a rage-induced string of *kittens* into productive thought before too long.

I can hear your pain in your writing voice. I'm so sorry for whatever has happened. :(
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I take a drink called Natural Calm, works the second you swallow it. its wonderful. look it up.
  • whiskey5jda2008
    whiskey5jda2008 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If you have "faith", try praying.
  • missteena88
    missteena88 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Scream into a pillow
    Go buy some cheap plates and break them
    Make funny faces at yourself in the mirror
    Grab a pen and paper and write cuss words until you feel better
    Grab a pen and paper and write whatever comes to mind
    Say cuss words repeatedly until you feel better

That's what I got
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Sorry hon--you're a vet on here too. I've followed your posts. Bad news takes time to stew. It's hard to recommend a strategy, but going to see a good movie, or reading a good book helps me. I also like to lick my wounds in private. Do you have anybody close that you can unload on? You need to get it out to heal. Go scream in the woods, until you can't anymore. That's all I can say, but hope you bounce back soon--you're strong and resilient. Best of luck.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    There are different kinds of stress bombs. Is this an unfaithful spouse? A teen child in jail? A job loss? An employment rejection? A car wreck? These all have different best responses, and not all have perfect stress elimination techniques. You should not tell more detail than you have already, but try to think of a different problem and list your best response to the hypothetical. See if you can give yourself some ideas.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Shouting is good for rage!

For stress/distress - especially that which makes sleep impossible - I'd go for writing.

It depends on the source of stress but you could:
    Write a reply (perhaps one you wish you could have given at the time)
    or just explain what was wrong/ write it all down for yourself. Empty your head onto a page.

There is a discipline - a meditation - in doing this and selecting the right words/details. ( It is the only thing you can keep your mind on when the stress-level is so high.)

You can then put it in a box - for later consideration.

This helps - as the problem does not need to be in your head any more.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    http://samaritansnyc.org/calling-the-hotline/

Not in USA so I hope it's accessible if it's something that would help. If I felt like you, it's what I'd do.

ETA...the site and ph no is USA
  • Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I second the Journal option. Sometimes the best way to work through anxiety ridden thoughts is to try to write them down and make it make sense to a stranger (the paper.) It works wonders for me, and it doesn't matter that my handwriting is total scribble.

Also, you said meditation doesn't work. Honestly, I'd like to know the person that can slip into meditation when they're so upset they're drowning in their own snot, crying...because they're clearly an alien. There are a lot of different types of meditation out there and some pretty good apps for iphone/android that do guided meditation. You could always try again when you're not so heightened.

I hope you feel better soon.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Got hit with a bomb last night that's triggered my stress levels through the roof (or so it feels). What I would do to relieve the stress I "can't" (I can do them, but they would start up either addiction cycles or gaining all my weight back) do any longer. Need some suggestions.

What works, but I "can't" do - eating, smoking, drinking, and self-harm.

What doesn't work - sex and exercise.

What I am doing - sitting on the bed in the dark and letting the rage stew, occasionally crying until I start suffocating from snot overload.

I've tried "meditation" (clearing my thoughts, thinking of "good", "calm" places/people). Rage always finds a way in.

ETA: Stupid kitten word replacement!

Sorry your going through something, get our of the house, buy a journal if you do not have one and start writing, or start a blog on MFP . Sometimes it helps if we talk out our problems even to strangers. Thats kind of why I like mfp, you can be anonymous and talk.
  • BailTuck
    BailTuck Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yoga is awesome. Find a restorative class not a hot yoga or power yoga. Also going out into nature like a walk or a hike through the woods is great.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can try crying? I know others suggested shouting, but sometimes a cathartic release through tears helps. I really hope things get better for you. <3 *hugs*
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who goes to Petsmart when she's stressed. Being able to pet some animals and check out others, besides the snakes, relaxes her on a stressful day.

Massage is another.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • whirlyruns
    whirlyruns Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like to take a shower - being able to wash the day away and start fresh helps.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Music...turn it on and just listen. Focus on the sound.
    Enya. I used to not be a fan but I spent a year in very close proximity to an autistic man with a rage problem and Enya became my best friend. He could not be angry while listening to Enya. And my blood pressure (and brainwaves) dropped when we had her playing. I also make up lyrics as she sings because mostly, her songs are in gaelic, so I have no idea what she's saying. You could sing along with her about whatever suckage you're experiencing. Her gaelic version of Silent Night is pretty funny.

Listen to Jon Anderson (with Vangelis or Yes...other options too)...but then I LOVE JA. My fave/go to is Union (YES), but all of his stuff is awesome.

Read a book? Or listen to one on cd/cassette/mp3?
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,316 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have actually found the kitten replacement to be so amusing, I'm applying it in real world...Hey, stop being such a kitten! Oh, Kitten! Don't be a jackitten! Kitten that with a stick! Laughing can help. Replacing swear words with kitten can be pretty funny and laughing is considered a great stress reliever.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    talk it out to a friend, read a book, watch tv, sleep, adult coloring book, rock out/dance to music or do the exact opposite and try to be relaxed and smoothed by music, play a video game, try on clothes (new clothes you bought that you can be proud of and remind yourself of your progress!),
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    write down what is going right in your life, your blessings. I just keep logging my foods even if bad. Venting, which we on MFP will be glad to listen helps a lot!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I feel you. A lot of you who know me know it's been a rough fall. Nothing helps me either. People say "go to yogo" and I'm like "no thanks, go *kitten* yourself".

What helped me? A vacation (from work, not some crazy trip), and a little pill my friend gave me. Going to the doctors to see if I can get a prescription. I'm not letting stress rule me anymore.