It's still worth it, right?

Options
I've been overweight all of my adult life. I'm 40 next week. I've tried all sorts of dieting and exercising over the years. December 29th I was told I'm diabetic, but that the numbers are low enough that I may be able to control it with diet and exercise. So I'm at it again. First week I lost about 8 pounds! That was great! I've cut carbs down to about 45 a day, according to MFP, and calories are down to about 1,000. I weighed on Monday and then today, Saturday. Only down 0.8 pounds. Now I'm feeling frustrated. I'm eating so much better and walking for 30-45 mins at least 3 times a week. I just need to ideas as to why the slow loss this week and some ideas and words of encouragement to keep at it!

Replies

• Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    A lot of your initial loss was probably water weight, I don't know how much you have to lose, but 8lbs of actual weight loss in a week is a lot and definitely not something you should expect every week. A loss is a loss, and all this weight isn't going to come off in a couple of weeks, so just be patient and follow the process. Make sure you weigh everything you eat, and honestly 1000 calories probably isn't enough for you, it's usually recommended not to go under 1200.
  • missteena88
    missteena88 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is too low. Bare minimum recommended for women is 1200. Make sure you're also getting plenty of water and measuring your foods correctly
  • katiefbe
    katiefbe Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    its normal to get a bit frustrated when the weight loss slows. The 8 lb starting loss is fantastic but a large amount of it was likely water and you can only lose that once! I get annoyed when things slow down and have to remind myself that I didn't get fat in two weeks and I can't lose it in two weeks either. I'm currently projected to reach goal weight in over a year and it feels like an eternity. What you have to remember is that the time will pass regardless and every 0.5 lb lost is one step closer. Hell just staying static is an achievement

I'd mirror what the others have said, 1000 calories is too low. I'd up it to a minimum of 1200. Its really hard to have a balanced diet on 1200 let alone 1000 and its not sustainable in the long run. This shouldn't be another diet but a long term change to your life. I know I can't cut chocolate and alcohol etc out of my diet forever so I incorporate them into my weightloss plan. 1. This means I don't get fed up and binge 2. I know that I can keep it up long term without feeling like I'm missing out. If your calorie goal is too low you won't be able to fit treats in and you're more likely to fall off the wagon.

Keep up the good work and think about where you might be in 2 months
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    To answer your title's post, sure it's worth it! I'm 48 but a couple of years ago I was feeling like I was about 70. Had little mobility, was sick all the time. Even though I was obese, I didn't have to lose much before I started feeling a lot better & became more mobile. 2 years later and all of my blood markers are excellent. I exercise regularly and realize that the way I was feeling was *not* a normal part of aging. It's worth it, but you have to make changes that are sustainable and fuel your body, not starve it. :)
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're crash dieting.

Let me give you a dose of reality. The 8 lbs you lost in the first week was mostly water weight. To lose a pound a week, you would need a 3,500 calorie deficit a week. 8 lbs would equal a 28,000 calorie deficit a week and is not physically possible.

Eating a 1,000 calories a day is not safe, sustainable, or in way shape or form healthy.

The reality of the situation is it's going to take time to lose weight. A healthy rate of weight loss is a pound to two pounds a week. If you have less to lose the slower the weight will come off. Two pounds a week is more for people who have a lot of weight to lose.

Even doing everything "right" you aren't going to lose the same amount of weight every week. Weight loss isn't linear.

If you really want to lose the weight and keep it off you have to make a lifestyle change.
  • try2again
    Options
    People are throwing out 1200 a lot, as it is the bare minimum a woman should eat, but we don't know your stats, so we don't know what *you* should be eating. If you are very heavy, and again, unless you have been directed to do so by your doctor, there is likely no need to go that low initially. Leave yourself some room to adjust downward later. I am 5'9" and at 240 lbs (I was 275 at one time but only started using MFP later) and a goal of 1.5 lbs/week, my goal was something like 1700. Now at 200, I can lose about 1 lb/week on about 1400. (And remember, that's not 1 lb every single week- that's 1 lb/week average over the course of a month or two.)
  • aliwilli77
    aliwilli77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not purposely not eating more calories. I am purposely cutting out sugar and most carbs, specifically to get the blood sugar more under control. That being said, I'm eating more meat, proteins and veggies. I find myself just not hungry after eating some of those things. I'm not stopping myself from eating more calories than 1000, I just am not hungry! I'm hoping that will change as I adjust to the new eating lifestyle. There just aren't a lot of calories in chicken and veggies!

2 pounds a week is definitely doable for me at my weight. I am about 5'5" and 254.
  • try2again
    Options
    Again, I would defer to your doctor, but losing the weight generally has a bigger effect on your #s than your specific diet. Many would find limiting your carbs & sugar to such an extent to not be sustainable, and it's not going to benefit you if you give up because you were being too restrictive. You're experiencing the honeymoon phase of weight loss- experienced a quick loss (though as many have pointed out, most of that was water) and are rightfully excited about making changes. You're on a "high" of sorts & think, "Hey, I'm not even all that hungry!" It will pass soon enough (believe me!), but in the meantime your body needs fuel. Not just nutrition, which is great, but fuel- calories of any kind. After you've eaten your chicken & veggies, include a reasonable portion of something you would just *like* to have as well. :)
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    aliwilli77 wrote: »
    I'm not purposely not eating more calories. I am purposely cutting out sugar and most carbs, specifically to get the blood sugar more under control. That being said, I'm eating more meat, proteins and veggies. I find myself just not hungry after eating some of those things. I'm not stopping myself from eating more calories than 1000, I just am not hungry! I'm hoping that will change as I adjust to the new eating lifestyle. There just aren't a lot of calories in chicken and veggies!

2 pounds a week is definitely doable for me at my weight. I am about 5'5" and 254.

Sometimes it's hard to get into the swing of things but you do need to work at averaging at least 1200 calories per day for the sake of nutrition.

I've lost over 120 pounds and I did it at about one pound per week after the initial water-weight loss. There's no hurry. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Experiment and find a way of eating that works for you in the long term because maintenance is the next step. Use this weight-loss phase to practice how you want to eat for your new body at your goal weight.

ETA: Also, weight loss isn't linear. Don't get discouraged if you have some weeks where you stay the same weight or even gain a bit. It's your weight trend over time that matters.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Hello @aliwilli77 , I never got the wake-up call as you did so here I am at 54, a year into my first attempt with myfitnesspal, which is my most recent of uncountable attempts preceding. I've lost over 80 lb in the past year by learning some new habits, some new recipes, and some new ways of dealing with situations. These are similar to the way you learned habits, recipes, and situational responses while gaining and maintaining obesity, so it's really nothing to be worried about. Look forward to learning how to use a digital kitchen scale to gain solid knowledge of the calories in the food you eat. That knowledge is power. And, compared to me, you're fortunate to have gotten your start at 40. Enjoy the ride.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    It's totally worth it.

I'm 61, and was also overweight (and obese) for 30+ years, most of my adult life. Though I was not diagnosed as pre-diabetic, I did have borderline to high blood pressure, high cholesterol/triglycerides, and an assortment of other weight-related problems. Between April 2016 and January/February 2016 lost 60+ pounds, which was about 1/3 of my bodyweight.

Results:
    • Blood pressure in the 115/72 kind of area.
    • Cholesterol & triglycerides solidly in the normal range.
    • Dramatically reduced knee pain from my arthritis and torn meniscus.
    • Greater mobility and flexibility.
    • Improved general feeling of well-being (due to less inflammation, maybe? I dunno.)

And I'm sure I'm forgetting some goodies, since it's been about a year since I've lost the weight.

Take it slowly, have patience, but keep going. If you have a slip, forgive yourself and get back on track, then keep going.

It's totally worth it.
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 , did you mean to say April 2015 -- Jan/Feb 2016? Just curious about the length of time there.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    suzievv wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 , did you mean to say April 2015 -- Jan/Feb 2016? Just curious about the length of time there.

Hah -LOL: Yes! Clearly, weight loss did not improve my typing skills. Should be April 2015, as you suggested - thanks for the correction. ;)
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    suzievv wrote: »

Hah -LOL: Yes! Clearly, weight loss did not improve my typing skills. Should be April 2015, as you suggested - thanks for the correction. ;)

@AnnPT77 , OK, Thank you! And congratulations on your weight loss.
  • bnpuckett2016
    bnpuckett2016 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    SO worth it! Try calorie and/or carb cycling! It'll prevent your body from becoming accustomed to changes too rapidly. Add me!