Early morning workout before breakfast - good or bad?

I have a desk job which occupies pretty much my whole day. I've heard a lot that exercising without having had anything to eat is not good, but I really want to do my workout (outside run) the first thing in the morning and breakfast afterwards since I don't have a lot of time before work and I am very tired in the evening and I may just skip it. Is it a good idea?

Replies

• Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    As long as it works for you. I don't mind exercising before breakfast, but if you feel faint or dizzy you might want to eat a little something, even if it's just a banana
  • narmin92
    narmin92 Posts: 32 Member
    @Nikki10129 I used to go for morning runs and felt great until about a year ago. For relocation and job reasons I stopped doing that about a year or so ago. Now I want to get back on track again but with everything that I have been reading or hearing, I just thought maybe it may do more harm than good..?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    It makes virtually no difference outside of whatever works for you.

Personal n=1 anecdote: I used to train first thing in the AM then ate breakfast afterward. Everything went well. I now train - because of switching gyms to one on my way to/from work with no showers - in the afternoon after work (which means I ate breakfast, lunch, and probably a snack) or at lunch. Everything is going well.
  • Nikki10129
    What harm do you think it will do? A lot of people do fasted exercise like this, first thing in the morning before breakfast. I once tried after breakfast and ended up throwing my breakfast up.
  • narmin92
    narmin92 Posts: 32 Member
    @Nikki10129 I have heard some say that if you eat after you work out your body doesn't burn that incoming food as it would an hour or two after a workout, and instead you break into your muscle mass. Then it's another legend I guess. I also think that AM workout is the best way to start a day, kept me fresh and positive throughout the day always.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    This makes no sense to me. Unless your are wildly malnourished and running a marathon, what do you think a little exercise without breakfast will do to you?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    narmin92 wrote: »
    @Nikki10129 I have heard some say that if you eat after you work out your body doesn't burn that incoming food as it would an hour or two after a workout, and instead you break into your muscle mass.

You're always utilizing fat and - to a lesser extent - muscle for energy. Even if you eat beforehand. The food you eat helps fuel you and/or replenishes the tissue you're using. IOW: it doesn't matter.

• melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,305 Member
    Good...because your brain is still asleep and can't talk you out of it. Maybe that's just me.
  • aamberrr
    aamberrr Posts: 115 Member
    I almost always work out before breakfast and have had no issues. I actually prefer it. Your body has plenty of fuel stored, so not eating before your workout isn't going to do any harm.
  • gophermatt
    gophermatt Posts: 129 Member
    Sounds like bro-science designed to sell breakfast bars or magazines. Burn more than you eat and get movement when you can.
  • mrramsey1969
    mrramsey1969 Posts: 46 Member
    I have noticed that when I exercise before I eat breakfast my heart rate is lower that if I exercise after breakfast. i.e a little fuel makes things go... Will it have any positive or negative impact in the long run, probably not.
  • Nikki10129
    Yeah no. It doesn't matter when you exercise your body is always going to be pulling from your various energy stores. Losing weight you'll always lose a little muscle, but you aren't going to lose more before breakfast than if you worked out at some other time of day.

Sounds like you're one of those morning people I wish I was, so workout whenever you feel you're most likely to!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I have to run on an empty stomach or else whatever I've eaten would come right back up. I always run on just a glass or two of water, first thing in the morning. You have plenty of glycogen stored to work out early in the morning without eating.

It's all down to personal preference. OP, give it a try and see what works best for you.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Same here. I chug some water and out the door at 6. In fact, I don't eat until I get to my desk at 8:30.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i wake up at 4. drink copious amounts of coffee. gym at 6 30. work between 8 30-9.

then, i might have a cup of yogurt or something.

listen to your body and do what it needs.
  • DanLoginov
    DanLoginov Posts: 19 Member
    narmin92 wrote: »
    I have a desk job which occupies pretty much my whole day. I've heard a lot that exercising without having had anything to eat is not good, but I really want to do my workout (outside run) the first thing in the morning and breakfast afterwards since I don't have a lot of time before work and I am very tired in the evening and I may just skip it. Is it a good idea?

Not a bad idea but I personally cannot do that as I will feel "full" for the rest of the day making me skip meals or just not getting enough calories daily. It does vary from person to person, whatever works for you really.

It does have benefits, exercising in the morning but so does in the afternoon. Don't just do cardio, you can only achieve so much with it.

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I used to swim before work and pack a breakfast to eat at work afterwards. There were ba few days that, by the time I got to eat I was ravenously hungry, but I don't think the schedule did any true harm.
  • JKinHalfMoonBay
    JKinHalfMoonBay Posts: 11 Member
    Because my main form of exercise is vinyasa flow yoga, I have to practice on an empty stomach or I'll throw up in a hand stand, lol. I do my practice (60-90 mins) and then have a green smoothie. There's usually about an hour lag from when I get out of bed to when I get on my mat and I have no issue with feeling weak or dizzy through my practice. Like with most things, give it a try and see how you do. If you find you feel weak half way through your workout, try having a piece of cheese or some milk for fat & protein before exercising. Good luck!!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Some people can, some can't. I'd give it a try and see how you do.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    edited January 2017
    If I eat before working out I feel sick