How do I separate my days?

Options
I'm a nurse and I do a lot of 12-16 hour shifts (sometimes 20)- my primary shifts are over night. (6p-6a at one job, 10p-6a at another unless I pull a double) I don't really know how I should separate my days.. I.e: yesterday I woke up at about 9am (yay insomnia), I had a breakfast bar... then unfortunately, I didn't have time to eat again until approximately 8pm (I did snack on trailmix throughout the day).. so I ate at 8pm, then again at 3am... I feel like my eating schedule is all mixed up and I'm not really sure what days to log the food. I thought about just giving my self a 24 hour period- 8a-8a? I don't know.. My eating pattern is so irregular.. and I really want to be as accurate as possible.

Does it even matter, or am I completely over thinking this?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really matter as long as it all averages out in the end. I just log when I eat, midnight is when the next day starts (I can get funny sleeping patterns due to insomnia). I work from a weekly average (can be viewed under the nutrition tab in the app) so if one day it looks like I only ate 800 calories the following day or day prior will likely be over to compensate.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I work nights, too. What I do (rather than the default "Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack") is 12:00 am to 6:00 am, 6:00 am to 12:00 pm, 12:00 pm to 6:00 pm, 6:00 pm to 12:00 am. It works for me. It's far less confusing than trying to figure out if the meal I ate at 2 am was a midnight snack, breakfast, lunch or dinner.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I started to reply and tell you that you are overthinking it. Ultimately total calories consumed over time is what matters. But then I read your whole post and some of the replies and my head started to spin a bit. :D More power to you all with the crazy work schedules! My hat is off to you!
  • dark_sparkles37019
    dark_sparkles37019 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I work second shift so my last meal is after 12:01am unless I get to leave early. I log it under the previous day and if I go over a little I can put it on the next day. As long as you are within your calories on average you'll be okay.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Think of it as a weekly calorie goal that you are trying to hit rather than day-to-day.

I have my diary set with six meals that are named for four hour blocks of time, such as 12 AM to 4 AM, and just log whatever I eat/drink in the correct time slot.

This is a great idea. Another suggestion (which I can't take credit for as I saw it in another thread), is to change your time zone setting on MFP so that your days on the app better correspond to your schedule.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    darkrose20 wrote: »
    I work nights, too. What I do (rather than the default "Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack") is 12:00 am to 6:00 am, 6:00 am to 12:00 pm, 12:00 pm to 6:00 pm, 6:00 pm to 12:00 am. It works for me. It's far less confusing than trying to figure out if the meal I ate at 2 am was a midnight snack, breakfast, lunch or dinner.

This nurse does the exact same thing.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    What I eventually did was eliminate all the meals in my diary and just record everything I eat for the day as a single list. My schedule tends to be variable, so I just log midnight- to-midnight each day for the sake of simplicity.
  • cordellannie
    cordellannie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    darkrose20 wrote: »

Thank you
  • cordellannie
    cordellannie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies, really insightful