Running shoes - help?

Options
So maybe I'm weird, but when I run, my left (weak side) foot tends to pigeon-toe a little and overpronate, while my right foot is neutral/slightly supinate. After a run, I tend to have mild pain in my left shin/lower anterior muscle; no real discomfort in my right. I run mostly on grassy, relatively flat terrain, but occasionally on a treadmill or asphalt. What kind of running shoes do I need?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Shoes that are comfortable...

Given your description of just go for neutral with a moderate drop; 8mm.

You might want to do some strength work on your lower legs to mitigate the aching you describe
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You might need some sort of insert. Go to a good running store and get fitted. I have one foot that is flatter (rolls in slightly) and the other rolls out slightly. Somehow they both do well in Mizuno wave inspire, a mild stability shoe.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Are you positive this is what is happening? Have you been video taped from behind and the side? It is very hard to self evaluate your gait. I would suggest asking a physical therapist who works with runners (there's always some around - look for sponsors at local races).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Have you had gait analysis?

A PT might be able to help with some strengthening exercises?
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Are you positive this is what is happening? Have you been video taped from behind and the side? It is very hard to self evaluate your gait. I would suggest asking a physical therapist who works with runners (there's always some around - look for sponsors at local races).

Yes. No.
    I can feel it when I jog or run, and it shows up in the wear pattern on my shoes.
    Thanks. Will do.
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all, for the suggestions. Much appreciated!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Go to a specialty running store.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Getting fitted properly is the most valuable gift you can give yourself. It will pay off over and over.

I wish I could clone my favourite running shoe and just wear them for ever and ever and ever.

I hope a shoe company is listening.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Getting fitted properly is the most valuable gift you can give yourself. It will pay off over and over.

I wish I could clone my favourite running shoe and just wear them for ever and ever and ever.

I hope a shoe company is listening.

My favourite ones have been discontinued... gutted!
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You need to get your gait tested at a running store, like others have said, best thing you can ever do.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Get your gate tested...but also slow down your run and consciously correct what you can yourself. Be cognizant of how you're placing your feet when you land and pushing off. You'll feel it for the first few times and then your weaker muscles will start to get stronger. Check out chi running for additional ideas.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Yup, get to a good running store, preferably one that has the option to try shoes and return them if they aren't right.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I also want to add that I feel like when I added yoga and strength training (targeting my weaker areas) that I made a lot of progress in balancing/improving my gait and stride.