What to do for protein???

Options
I don't eat hardly any meats at all, eating veggies for dinner isn't keeping me full. Anyone have any suggestions on how to add protein to my dinner?

Replies

• cruisin99
    cruisin99 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    How about nuts and seeds?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Dairy, fish and seafood?
  • lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Eat meat. I eat chicken eggs fish and turkey most of the time. And add protien shake. U really need the rtien t build and maintain muscles. If your like a vegan or whatever try adding in more legumes, vegan protien powders (I use vega one which is awsome) and more vegetables high in protien
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, beans, lentils, chickpeas, tofu, Greek yogurt, broccoli in particular as a veggie is higher in protein, quinoa, check out some veggie protein alternatives!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    lady_ghost wrote: »
    Eat meat. I eat chicken eggs fish and turkey most of the time. And add protien shake. U really need the rtien t build and maintain muscles. If your like a vegan or whatever try adding in more legumes, vegan protien powders (I use vega one which is awsome) and more vegetables high in protien

Why should she eat meat if she doesn't want to?

OP didn't say she didn't want to..she just said she hardly eats meat...more meat, poultry, and fish would be logical.
  • newwed412
    newwed412 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will try some of the vegan options that were mentioned.
    lady_ghost wrote: »

I don't eat meat, that's why I asked. Not going to force myself to eat something I don't want too but thank you for your input.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Have protein snacks. Protein bars, good greek yogurt (not this dannon crap), protein shakes, some cheese. Add nutritional yeast to your meals too.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Things (other than meat/fish) I eat to reach my protien goals:

Greek yogurt
    Oatmeal
    Quinoa
    Protien shakes
    Halo top ice cream
    Cottage cheese
    Beans
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Amaranth is another plant-based source of protein. Haven't tried the seeds yet, though I bought some flour this morning. Here's a video on popping amaranth seeds:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aak0oVr7FEM
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    newwed412 wrote: »
    I don't eat meat, that's why I asked. Not going to force myself to eat something I don't want too but thank you for your input.

Eggs and dairy products aren't meat which is why people are recommending them. Since people range from complete vegans (no animal products) to pescatarians (fish, with or without eggs and dairy) you have to be specific about what you do and don't eat.

If you're new to the vegan or vegetarian lifestyle, you need to do some learning -- most people who live that lifestyle know where to get their protein and other nutrients. There are many resources out there like this one that will help:

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20718479,00.html#beans-10
  • Eleniala
    Eleniala Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Have protein snacks. Protein bars, good greek yogurt (not this dannon crap), protein shakes, some cheese. Add nutritional yeast to your meals too.

What's wrong with Dannon Greek yogurt, and what makes other Greek yogurt "good"? Just curious.

• Icrizz
    Icrizz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian meats. They make soy nuggets and veggie burgers that are super cheap if you get them at the right place. Greek yogurt. Cheese ( low-fat would be better if you eat a lot of cheese). Peanut butter, almond butter. Almonds. Eggs if you're an ovo-lacto-vegetarian. Chia seeds.
    Honestly, if you can include one of those with every meal you should be good to go. (I'm vegetarian so I know how hard it is). Also, whole wheat foods have just a tiny bit more protein than white grain, but every bit counts. Good luck!
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Eleniala wrote: »

What's wrong with Dannon Greek yogurt, and what makes other Greek yogurt "good"? Just curious.

It's greek "style" yogurt. The macros aren't as good, more sugar, less protein. Not as good tasting in my opinion.
  • Eleniala
    Eleniala Posts: 87 Member
    Options

It's greek "style" yogurt. The macros aren't as good, more sugar, less protein. Not as good tasting in my opinion.

Dannon Oikos Triple Zero has 15g of protein and 7g of sugar (naturally occurring, not added) per 150g serving. I thought that was pretty good. What brands would you recommend?
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    What I typically use:

Greek yogurt
    String cheese (or any kind of cheese)
    Eggs
    Protein bars (chocolite protein bar from www.healthsmartfoods.com)
    Protein water (I get protein powder and fiber from GNC and mix it in with crystal light and a bottle of water - enough for 5g protein and 5-ish g fiber)
    Chicken
    Lean steak (usually sirloins
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i eat lots of cheese.gouda, mozarella ,cottage .gouda can be high in calories, but the one i buy is 87 cal.per slice(32g) ,and it has 9gr.of protein.
  • carolinencarter
    carolinencarter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    oat bran and wheat germ are actually quite high in protein and easy to add to things. fiber also helps to keep you feeling full.
  • bbell1985
    Options

Dannon Oikos Triple Zero has 15g of protein and 7g of sugar (naturally occurring, not added) per 150g serving. I thought that was pretty good. What brands would you recommend?

Fage 0% is a little better but I guess not much. 170g serving, 100 calories, same sugar, 18g of protein.
  • karoline247
    karoline247 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What about adding eggs or egg whites. Also peanut butter and nuts.