Cheat Days

Options
I took a cheat day today. I feel really guilty. I didn't gorge myself with food but I did have a few beers while watching the play-off games (Go Falcons!). Do ya'll have cheat days and how do you recover?

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days, but I have had days when I didn't do so well. Forget it and move on.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    don't do cheat days because that to me implies i'm doing something wrong...rather, I plan foods I like and enjoy into my calorie goal for the day (i.e. last night I had chocolate pancakes for dinner; today I had some m&M's) - I just measure, log, enjoy and move on
  • SV17GT
    SV17GT Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    They're not cheat days, they're just human days. Ya didn't do anything wrong, you'll just have to do a little extra to make up for it. If you make it to much of a chore you'll get tired of trying. Saturday nights are pizza night and then I gotta do extra on Sunday and Monday but it's worth it to me.
  • leesagagliardi
    leesagagliardi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days personally, for me it's just asking for trouble. If you stick to a well balanced diet with plenty of variety there is less chance of needing to 'cheat'
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I plan my treats and I don't need to recover. That's way too much drama for me. Just accept a slightly lower loss this week. It's not the end of the world.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days while I'm actively losing weight.

If I want to eat more, I exercise for it.

And then I take planned diet breaks now and then ... usually after reaching certain goals.
  • melto1989
    melto1989 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This week on several occasions has been really be for logging, certain foods I can't weigh and check how many calories etc. Such as tonight I had guests and we provided food but they also brought Nachos! So I politely had some and believe I've gone over my limit. It's difficult but what can you do about something that's already done!
    I try to make room for things I like so I'm in control but when people cook for me it makes it hard.
    I'd just excersie double
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Same here. Had 2,500 calories and feel so awful :/

You said 2500 cals was your maintenance, so how is that a cheat day?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    daisy423 wrote: »
    I took a cheat day today. I feel really guilty. I didn't gorge myself with food but I did have a few beers while watching the play-off games (Go Falcons!). Do ya'll have cheat days and how do you recover?

I don't have cheat days, I fit everything going I want to eat into my weekly goal.
  • dannybias50
    dannybias50 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I do one cheat meal per week. Never done a cheat where my whole day is gorging myself. Totally shows lack of self control and discipline
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. I logged at maintenance Thanksgiving through New years and logged nothing for a few days while travelling for Christmas. I frequently eat a few hundred over my calorie goal, but I also find myself a few hundred under equally as often, so it all balances out. I went out for a birthday recently, ate reasonably and didn't log. I never cheat, I'm just guilt-free, not all that strict, and have zero problems losing weight.
  • namesnotgotcha
    namesnotgotcha Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. I logged at maintenance Thanksgiving through New years and logged nothing for a few days while travelling for Christmas. I frequently eat a few hundred over my calorie goal, but I also find myself a few hundred under equally as often, so it all balances out. I went out for a birthday recently, ate reasonably and didn't log. I never cheat, I'm just guilt-free, not all that strict, and have zero problems losing weight.

Oooooh. I like that idea of changing your settings to maintenance during the holidays. Probably would work during a vacation too. I'll give that a try.
  • ladypew
    ladypew Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I "cheat" every now and then, cause you can't feel guilty about enjoying things in moderation
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    No I don't have cheat days and I don't "recover". Everyday I make a decision: deficit, maintenance, or surplus.
  • madamso1
    madamso1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you are cheating you are failing. You won't get any support from me if you want me to say it's okay to quit.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    SV17GT wrote: »
    They're not cheat days, they're just human days. Ya didn't do anything wrong, you'll just have to do a little extra to make up for it. If you make it to much of a chore you'll get tired of trying. Saturday nights are pizza night and then I gotta do extra on Sunday and Monday but it's worth it to me.

Great line!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I am 100% against cheat days. Especially cyclic cheat days (some people do a cheat day once a week). I think this is bad psychiatry.

If you had a few beers watching the game it wasn't a cheat day. It wasn't anything. You just had some fun and it's no big deal. As long as you're conscious of what you're eating and staying within calorie limits there's no harm. It's long term habits that result in both fitness and well being.