College Eating

Options
kedodge1s
kedodge1s Posts: 1 Member
I'm a college student and am having trouble finding ways to eat healthy at school. I'm trying my best, but my school has a lot of fast food and buffets as part of the meal plan. I'm trying to find some small and simple recipes that I can make in the community kitchen and store in my fridge over a few days a week. Any suggestions?

Replies

• SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It's rough... I would try adding wilted greens to your food. Things like Swiss chard, spinach, collard greens, mustard greens.

So if you're having ramen, add in some chopped spinach, maybe some frozen vegetables. It'll get you some extra vitamins.

You can "bake" things in microwaves. Like sweet potatoes. Poke holes in it with a fork or knife and wrap it in a damp paper towel. Microwave until it gives under your hand, turning it every minute. Most will be "baked" in 3 to 4 minutes.

You can also make "baked" apples and pears. As well as "baked" squash.

Take a squash (acorn squash is sweet, butternut is creamy, spaghetti squash is a good replacement for pasta, and Italian squash is also creamier) and stab a couple holes in it (make sure the holes are on the upper end, else you'll have a mess). It's been a while since I've done this... but I believe it'll take less than 6 minutes.

Hope that helps at least a little. :)
  • Funnylittlenut
    Funnylittlenut Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Use cheap and seasonal vegetables. Where I am, carrots are ridiculously cheap all year round and are quite versatile. Rice, egg and vegetable stir-fries are quick and easy.
    Soups can be quite quick, cheap, easy and filling.
    Baked chicken thighs and vegetables is a nice easy one-pan meal, although I'm not sure how cheap chicken is where you are.