Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Why go with a friend? Do your thing.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    95% of the time, I'm at the gym alone. It's fine. My girlfriend and I go at the same time maybe once a month or so which is a cool novelty, but it's really not practical for the day-to-day grind of it.

As for motivation, that's your own trip. Mostly, you've got to care and value fitness over sloth.
  • Becb1980
    Becb1980 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I always go alone whether it be to the gym or for an outdoor run. I prefer it that way as I like to put my headphones in and get on with it. I find when I go with people they like to talk haha..
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I joined alone and always go alone. The gym is something I feel is needed for me. It also meant that I have met some very nice new friends at the gym. Also ran into some friends I did not know were also at that gym
    Often I see the ones coming together sticking together and not blending in and getting to know people.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I've always exercised alone (apart from the odd bike ride or walk with my husband, but that is more for fun that exercise) and it suits me just fine.
    I like to listen to audiobooks or podcasts and enjoy my running or walking or riding time. I would get annoyed going with someone else, it's not about them, it's about me.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I go alone and much prefer it that way; I can do my own thing and not get annoyed by other people. Even if my darling husband went with me, I'd get irritated by him.

I take my ipod and listen to music of my choice (the stuff blasted out at the gym is a bit much for me) or plug it into the machines that have a screen and watch a program whilst doing cardio - its a great way of catching up on the news which is difficult to do at home.

Plus it's time for ME. Away from everything, I can concentrate on ME and not worry about the children, housework etc. Probably selfish but it's really nice to be me again, if only for a hour or so a day. Plus I can take as long as I like in the shower without worrying that someone is waiting for me!

There are a few people at the gym who I'm on speaking terms with now as well, not much more than "hello" or "that was a crazy class" but it's quite nice. No protracted conversations, just a word or two here and there.
  • FlufferCat
    FlufferCat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you don't enjoy working out alone,and your gym doesn't have classes,you could try to find some workout buddies.Put a note on a bulletin board if they have one.For ladies,and beginners etc...Say what times you like to come to the gym,and you might find some people to train with.Some gym members might like to have a buddy system.You do the cardio machines,or go through a circuit of leg exercises one time,upper body the next.It might help some people get motivated to show up.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    VKetoV wrote: »
    I go solo; once you start going consistently (at the same time) you will realize the same gym rats more or less will be there time & time again. Your motivation/group accountability

This!! The staff know me by name. Lots of other members know my face and/or name. We cheer each other on, give each other crap, etc.
  • TylerJ8476
    TylerJ8476 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yep. @4am...I'm truly the ONLY one there...
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Well, you bought those memberships because you wanted to go to the gym, soooo.....go! I can see wanting a buddy, but if I had one I think it would just distract me/slow me down. It's true that you'll start seeing the same people and it'll get more comfortable.

I actually like my alone time there. I listen to music, or if I'm having a cardio day I'll park myself in front of a tv with something worth watching and just zone out.

I also think that once your friend sees you start going and enjoying it, she very well may want to go check it out too. But if not....you go and do you. :wink:
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    dniania wrote: »
    Thanks nicely put! I just wanted someone to have so I wouldn't be bored lol. I'm not going to let it stop me though

Don't be bored! Find something you LOVE to do - I used to slog away trying to do cardio, never managed to make it stick, got too bored etc but then I discovered weights (and then pole fitness) and now going to the gym/working out is a treat! :)

Does the gym offer classes? Maybe there would be something to catch your interest there (plus you might make some new friends!)

Working out definitely doesn't have to be boring, and more so, it shouldn't be!

And yep, I go to the gym alone - I can't stand having someone with me, I've had too many flaky friends wanting to come etc, plus it massively slows down the workout (for me anyway).

Good luck, I hope you find something that you LOVE at the gym :smiley:
  • durstybritt
    durstybritt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I used to feel this way when I first started, but now I actually prefer to be alone.. No distractions and I can power through without having to talk to someone between breaths. Better to find a way to like it so that you're not depending on someone else to get you to your goals. Do it for you!
  • pj4437
    pj4437 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I go by myself so I can concentrate. Kind of hard to talk when I can't breathe anyway....lol
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    To me, gym time is me time.

This. Wireless earbuds and music, or Netflix if I'm on the stationary bike. I've gotten to know a few of the other regulars, but I prefer to just enjoy my alone-in-a-crowd time. When I go with someone else, they might cancel, or I'd feel obligated to do the same exercises as them. Much more pleasant alone.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I've never had a "gym buddy". I've always gone alone. I like it that way; plug into my jams and do my thing.