Hubby is making me feel bad for posing for pics *sorry so lo

Options

Replies

• fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You have done an amazing thing and don't forget it.
    Carry on & do everything you want to do.
    Your hubby is a private person (as quoted in your post) because of this and being a man!! he can't understand why you would want to do this as it is the last thing he would want to do or could do
    My other half is shy and quite often hides in public when with me!!!!!! I will even do 'public' things for my kids but he can't understand how I could do them (going on stage to do silly things/ school trips etc ) - whether its for the kids or not just because there is no way he could it
    You are my inspiration for today - I thank you - treadmill here I come

Don't stop being you :flowerforyou:
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I kinda agree with cris on this one...

In the sense that i think you should have spoken to your husband first about the situation and asked his thoughts on the subject.

Yes, you do deserve praise for all your hard work, but i think talking about it would have been better before you asked for advice from the public.

I do know that my EX would have gone mad if I'd have talked openly on the internet about our relationship, let alone put half naked pictures up.

When your not in a relationship, you are your own person and can make your own decisions. Personally, When I'm in a relationship with someone and that relationship is STRONG - I regard myself as belonging to him and nobody else...and talk about things that may affect US as a couple, as a result of something I would like to do.

I say speak to hubby first then make your decision.

:smile:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Have you explained in detail what it means to you to have lost the weight? For you its not bout the attention you get (right?)...its about the liberating feeling from not having to hide behind the pounds. Some men are not able to handle change but if you explain what it means to you emotionally I think he will understand.

At the end of the day, pictures on a social site are not worth the friction in a relationship. Maybe try taking sexy pics together.

This is very good...and continues the point I made initially.

If my wife and I had had this issue, and she ran to the internet for relationship advice from total strangers, it just would have made it worse. We know nothing about them, nothing about the circumstances, and we're all effectively telling her 'screw him he's an *kitten*!! You should do whatever you want! It's not like you're married or anything!!!'.

Doesn't seem right to me.

You seem to have completely overlooked the fact that he chose to be horribly demeaning and basically told her what to do. There was no 'discussion' here. There was a nasty, malicious comment used to undermine and demean in order to control his wife. That is atrocious behavior and actually abusive.

It's one thing for spouses to discuss how they use social media. It's quite another to say "Let me stop you from embarassing yourself".

I didn't overlook it, as a matter of fact, I mentioned it in my first post. So...one person in a relationship displays poor behavior, and the other should react by shoving what is bothering them in his face? Yes, he was wrong in how he did it...but again, the internet has destroyed strong relationships with less to work with.

All I suggested was a more moderate approach to advising this poor girl...who had a small issue initially, but is now possibly looking at a much, much larger one, as the internet JUST made the step to 'more important than her husband' in his eyes.
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I agree with both of you. I'm glad that you feel amazing now that you've lose 80lbs! I wouldn't want to hide myself anymore either! But I don't think he meant it the way he said, granted he should NOT have said it the way that he did though. I think that he just doesn't want you to become one of those vain skinny girls who always have to show off their body. He cares about you and loves you, he just wants to protect you.
  • Shanell802
    Shanell802 Posts: 37
    Options
    I can see both points of view. You should totally be proud of your achievements and have a right to show that off, but there also comes a point where too much is too much. Personally I get annoyed when people go overboard with anything on social media. I have friends who create facebook profiles for their newborn kid and I think thats the stupidest thing ever and it annoys me. However, someone that has gone on a weight loss journey should be able to show off, just make sure it's a classy way of doing it and not a "I'm better than everyone" way.
    I agree. 100%. It is kind of his business, because you are his wife, and what you do reflects on to him. So, if it embarrasses him, why do you insist that you keep doing it? Maybe you should check your motives...Are you doing it to get more attention? I mean, a couple of before and after photos shouldn't be a problem, but if you are changing your pic all of the time and dressing up for it, my question would be, Why?
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I can see both points of view. You should totally be proud of your achievements and have a right to show that off, but there also comes a point where too much is too much. Personally I get annoyed when people go overboard with anything on social media. I have friends who create facebook profiles for their newborn kid and I think thats the stupidest thing ever and it annoys me. However, someone that has gone on a weight loss journey should be able to show off, just make sure it's a classy way of doing it and not a "I'm better than everyone" way.
    I agree. 100%. It is kind of his business, because you are his wife, and what you do reflects on to him. So, if it embarrasses him, why do you insist that you keep doing it? Maybe you should check your motives...Are you doing it to get more attention? I mean, a couple of before and after photos shouldn't be a problem, but if you are changing your pic all of the time and dressing up for it, my question would be, Why?

Completely agree with both!
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    If it is just a profile pic and not revealing then GO for it!
  • slheflinVA
    slheflinVA Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of the posts, but you have every right to be proud of your weight loss accomplishments! My hubby is the same way about me posting pics. He's commented on my profile picture on here. I'm not showing anything - I'm in my workout shirt, but he's still uncomfortable about it. Maybe your hubby is the same way? Maybe it's more about him thinking that other men will find the "new you" attractive and he is uncomfortable with that. I think that's the issue my husband has.
  • mrs_joshica
    mrs_joshica Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    As a wife I'm going to be honest with you. It's easy to comment from outside looking in, BUT chances are there is more going on than hubby is saying. The small amounr of weight I've lost is affecting my hubby already, not necessarily bad, but he's worried. When you lose weight you look different, act different, smile different, laugh different. A new you has emerged and that is a lot to process for them because the woman they married is changing.

Part of them is insecure that their wife is, or has outgrown them, especially if they have any body image issues themselves. Moreover, he may be more worried that you'll leave him now. You are not hiding, which means you are more outgoing, which means more exposure. It's kind of the way a child behaves when they've been an only child for a long time and they have adjust to sharing the attention, so they misbehave for attention out of fear that they are losing love.

Only you know where the line crosses between insecure and intolerable. But, I encourage you to ask your husband to express himself to you and allow you to express yourself to him as well. This way both sides can be heard and not just swept under the rug to fester later. He may just need to know that his wife still loves him & her new body, & is not going to leave just b/c she's "hot", Lol. After all, when we take this journey we take our whole families with us like it or not.

Congrats on your weight loss, this is not easy, but things get better.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone suggesting a more moderate response. I know this isn't my relationship...but there's a lot of chances for a bad situation to develop here. I hate to see anyone go through the fallout of the intetnets possible impact on a relationship.
  • gsusdva
    gsusdva Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Please brag and be proud of yourself! Also, remember that before and after pictures are very inspiring for those of us who are not having success. You post for others as well as yourself!
  • loriescott7
    Options
    Hi, A lot of really fit men like the fact they look so good. If the wife is a shadow of them it makes their ego feel great. They get all the attention. I would say he is being insecure and loosing the ability to be the centre of attention. He is used to probably making you feel like you need to loose weight but to this point you haven't. Now your coming into your own and the spotlight is not on him. I would believe that he doesnt like competition.

Having said all that I believe you should post your picture, if it makes you feel good, then you need to assert yourself and say look, I dont tell you what to think, I would appreciate your support and postive comments only. Making negative comments makes people feel insecure. It is a control issue.

Post the pics, smile when you do and just be true to yourself. You are not loosing weight for him. You are not asking his permission to do the journey your on. So step forward and do this for you, your the important person here. Belittling comments are meant to encourage you to not be successful, that way the comments can be see you it didnt work did it.

So lady post the pictures!!!!!!!
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Explain to him what it would mean to you to post the pic. How will it make YOU feel? Personally I think those who post before/after pics are very inspiring and that's what keeps us all on this site going. We love them.

Hmmm interesting the original poster deactivated their account already :(
  • totustuusmaria
    totustuusmaria Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    how would it be embarrassing!?!?! you probably look amazing and should be so proud of yourself (and you are) and that is GREAT! You should love yourself and the way you look. You have worked so hard for this! I have just lost 20 lbs and am still a lil porky (lol) but I love posing for pictures and looking at how far I've come! It keeps me motivated and excited about the future-better me! It is also the little girl in us, I think!!! Go for it!!! He is being, as you put it, "a freak."
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options

totally agree. my husband is extremely private! sometimes it cramps my share-everything-with-the-world style, but i would rather let him know how much i value him than get instant gratification from internet strangers. i am sure you can find a compromise that doesn't involve taking pictures just for taking pictures sake - special occasions, date night, 'look at how cute we are as a couple' photos, activities/parties, etc.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    aww, I was going to look at her diary and she de activated her account, the OP.

Wonder if her jealous husband made her stop posting? sad, really sad.............
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    Men panic, and when they do, they make YOU feel bad about THEIR issues. Congrats on your weight loss!!
  • TDBrims
    TDBrims Posts: 138
    Options
    It's easy to forget that when you make such major changes to your life and appearance, our loved ones ALSO have to deal with a great deal of change that they didn't ask for and may find difficult.

Many, many, many men become terribly insecure when their wives or girlfriends begin to get a lot of attention. They worry that you'll attract something better and be out the door. Most of them don't want to admit this, but some of them will if you can get them to open up. It sounds as though he's not quite ready to handle having a hot, outgoing wife yet.

The other possibility here(and I'm just throwing it out there as I know nothing of your situation) is that he's always been too controlling and you're just starting to notice it now as you've found your voice and self-confidence. Often times, when we don't feel good about ourselves for some reason, we're willing to put up with things that we wouldn't even consider when we're feeling more confident. So it's possible that there's always been a dynamic of your husband trying to control you and you're just finally noticing it with your renewed confidence.

I was going to say this.....I would see it as a sign he was feeling a bit insecure and maybe he's a bit scared that you are wanting other guys to notice how fab you are looking???
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    aww, I was going to look at her diary and she de activated her account, the OP.

Wonder if her jealous husband made her stop posting? sad, really sad.............

oh no! I really hope everything is ok with her
This discussion has been closed.