Worried About Lack Of Progress

Options
Opening stats:
I am 5'5" and 162 lbs. I am 26 y/o, female.
I want to get to about 125 lbs, but that might change when I get to 130, my previous weight that I was unhappy at. I wasn't exercising at that weight and eating poorly, so it's likely that a toned 130 lb would be much more appealing than a frumpy flabby 130.

I'm at this two weeks and haven't lost anything. I actually gained a pound.

MFP says my calories should be 1200 as a sedentary person. I set it as sedentary as I am studying at the moment so sitting a lot. However, I am using a fitbit to track my steps, and this gives me extra calories throughout the day, as I go for walks and exercise. I started Kayla BBG this week, so I'm also doing bodyweight exercises three times a week, and a walk every evening.

I'll open my diary so people can advise me.

I've gone from depressed, bed/couch bound, to working two days a week in retail and eating better and exercising. I feel like my body should show some change. But I don't want to panic yet, as I'm only at it two weeks and females tend to have a lot of hormonal fluctuations anyways, so maybe this is mine.

I drink water mainly, barely any coffee, maybe two half cups a week.
I snack occasionally but I do weigh and account for everything, even two mints I ate the other day. The two times I ate out with my family, I slightly over-calculated my portions, to account for discrepancies. (For example, I said I ate half a burger when really it was more like a third). I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice, whether or not I'm fooling myself with my new habits, and they are not enough.

I don't go to bed hungry, even when I don't eat back all of my calories. Yes, I go to bed wanting to eat, but I don't actually need to. I'm learning the difference, finally!

I know what I'm like. If I don't see some sort of scale-encouragement soon, I'll give up. This is the first time I think I'm genuinely inspired to make changes... but a series of mental health and physical health issues mean I am quick to lose motivation if I don't see at least some small results soon.

Any friendly advice would be lovely, thanks.
If I'm being a moron, please tell me kindly. I know there are a lot of differing opinions on this board, as there is in any subject in life.
x

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You just need to be a bit more patient I think
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 sedentary in Jan last year and immediately gained 5lbs! I stuck with it and lost over 72lbs in the year. If you're confident that you're really measuring (with scales) and recording absolutely everything you eat and drink, just be patient. It'll come off even without exercise.
  • RemoteOutpost
    RemoteOutpost Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You can do it just stick to it!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    maybe focus on body recomp than losing weight - I lost weight while doing it, but focusing more on developing lean muscle than specific losing weight helped me
  • DanLoginov
    DanLoginov Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Opening stats:
    I want to get to about 125 lbs, but that might change when I get to 130, my previous weight that I was unhappy at. I wasn't exercising at that weight and eating poorly, so it's likely that a toned 130 lb would be much more appealing than a frumpy flabby 130.

MFP says my calories should be 1200 as a sedentary person. I set it as sedentary as I am studying at the moment so sitting a lot. However, I am using a fitbit to track my steps, and this gives me extra calories throughout the day, as I go for walks and exercise. I started Kayla BBG this week, so I'm also doing bodyweight exercises three times a week, and a walk every evening.

I've gone from depressed, bed/couch bound, to working two days a week in retail and eating better and exercising. I feel like my body should show some change. But I don't want to panic yet, as I'm only at it two weeks and females tend to have a lot of hormonal fluctuations anyways, so maybe this is mine.

I snack occasionally but I do weigh and account for everything, even two mints I ate the other day. The two times I ate out with my family, I slightly over-calculated my portions, to account for discrepancies. (For example, I said I ate half a burger when really it was more like a third). I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice, whether or not I'm fooling myself with my new habits, and they are not enough.

I don't go to bed hungry, even when I don't eat back all of my calories. Yes, I go to bed wanting to eat, but I don't actually need to. I'm learning the difference, finally!

I know what I'm like. If I don't see some sort of scale-encouragement soon, I'll give up. This is the first time I think I'm genuinely inspired to make changes... but a series of mental health and physical health issues mean I am quick to lose motivation if I don't see at least some small results soon.

If I'm being a moron, please tell me kindly. I know there are a lot of differing opinions on this board, as there is in any subject in life.
    x

Do try to exercise. Just walk for 1-2 hours a day on an empty stomach. There's only so much you could lose with a diet alone which isn't much at all.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    1200 is really low but sounds like you eat back exercise so it probably ends up ok in the end.

Try to be patient, change will come but you're still in the adjustment phase which can cause water retention, or it could be normal weight fluctuation masking results.

A couple things that may help- try to hit your protein goal daily. It's found under "nutrition" -> "nutrients". Adequate protein intake combined with the exercise you're already doing will help build and preserve muscle and prioritize body fat loss.

I think BBG is mostly hiit and body weight strength exercises right? This is a fantastic start. After a few months you may want to add in lifting weights to help further transform your body into the fit and toned look you want.

Also be careful with eating back calories- with your daily calorie goal set so low you do want to eat back some for sure, but be wary of excessively high calorie burn estimates. I've seen some crazy fit bit or myfitnesspal estimates in the thousands of calories range for simply walking or an hour of exercise. If you continue to not see loss after a couple of months then it could be from eating back too much.

But for now it sounds like you're on the right track and just need to be patient.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    DanLoginov wrote: »
    Opening stats:

x

Do try to exercise. Just walk for 1-2 hours a day on an empty stomach. There's only so much you could lose with a diet alone which isn't much at all.

The what now?! :huh:
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    DanLoginov wrote: »
    Opening stats:

x

Lol okay then. So my first 50 pounds of my near 80 (in under 9 months) Without exercising, And especially not walking on an empty stomach (lol okay) Doesnt exist, Or is a minimal amount? Well *kitten* why didnt anyone tell me i wasn't losing weight so i could have gotten my *kitten* up and hunger walked!

Op ignore this person their clueless weight loss is mainly diet XD Exercise helps tone and you can burn more calories to eat, But go try to out train a bad diet. Wont happen.

Edit: Just realized the person who said this is new here. Welcome. PLEASE educate yourself before spreading these lies. Make it much easier on yourself and others.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    OP, just be patient. :)

I've been doing this for a while and I've definitely had weeks where I've only loss a small amount of weight or my weight was high due to water retention or from hormones.

I'd say with you introducing exercise your body is most likely just retaining water. I'd bet in another week or so you'll see a big loss.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You've been logging for all of 10 days. That's not enough time to determine success or failure.

If you're really concerned though, look into improving your logging accuracy by weighing your food with a food scale.

Other than that, it's all about patience.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Your dog is adorable!

You have it, right here. Women fluctuate and until you see your pattern you don't know whether you were down when you first weighed, up now, whatever. I found it useful to weigh every day so I wouldn't get caught weighing in on an up day and think I'd made no progress, but it depends on if the scale is going to bum you out or not. (I found it useful to work on getting over my overreaction to the scale too, because I avoided it for years which was not helpful). Another thing is that you've added in some exercise and that often causes water weight gain at first.

I understand how not seeing the benefits can be de-motivating, but I do think the answer is to be patient. One thing I did back when I first started (and didn't think losing weight would work for me, beats me why but I just didn't) was to focus not only on weight but things I could control. I KNEW I could eat a healthful diet, could do exercise and get fit, stuff like that. So I set goals related to that as well as food/calorie goals and of course my "I hope I lose this much per week" goals. I decided no matter what I could be a fit active healthy person. (And of course I lost weight too, much more than you need to.) ;-)

Another thought is to add some things besides the scale, although those will really be longer term -- focus on fitting into an old (or smaller) paid of jeans (in a brand you are familiar with and not too much smaller to start) or take measurements or photos.

I am sure you can do it, just keep with it. Sounds like you've made some really good steps.
  • LittleDoodlePoodle
    LittleDoodlePoodle Posts: 154 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    You've been logging for all of 10 days. That's not enough time to determine success or failure.

If you're really concerned though, look into improving your logging accuracy by weighing your food with a food scale.

Other than that, it's all about patience.

Thanks for your advice. I know I'm being impatient, but I wanted to start the thread now, in case I was doing something blatantly wrong. I do weigh my food on a scale already, though. :)

You have it, right here. Women fluctuate and until you see your pattern you don't know whether you were down when you first weighed, up now, whatever. I found it useful to weigh every day so I wouldn't get caught weighing in on an up day and think I'd made no progress, but it depends on if the scale is going to bum you out or not.
    I am sure you can do it, just keep with it. Sounds like you've made some really good steps.[/quote]

I think the scale is definitely a bummer for me, a opposed to a help. I'm going to try and avoid weighing in for two weeks at a time, rather than every week, because it does make me question my methods. I don't want to get demotivated and turn to silly things that are just fads. Thanks so much for your help, though. Its really nice to just rant at someone and hear a helpful answer. <3

JaydedMiss wrote: »

Op ignore this person their clueless weight loss is mainly diet XD Exercise helps tone and you can burn more calories to eat, But go try to out train a bad diet. Wont happen.

Edit: Just realized the person who said this is new here. Welcome. PLEASE educate yourself before spreading these lies. Make it much easier on yourself and others.

Haha, thanks! Don't worry, I knew that wasn't factual. Plus, I am doing exercise, so the advice didn't apply to me anyway. But I appreciate you stepping up, all the same. I love the community here. Everyone is so helpful. :smiley:

1200 is really low but sounds like you eat back exercise so it probably ends up ok in the end.

Try to be patient, change will come but you're still in the adjustment phase which can cause water retention, or it could be normal weight fluctuation masking results.

A couple things that may help- try to hit your protein goal daily. It's found under "nutrition" -> "nutrients". Adequate protein intake combined with the exercise you're already doing will help build and preserve muscle and prioritize body fat loss.

I think BBG is mostly hiit and body weight strength exercises right? This is a fantastic start. After a few months you may want to add in lifting weights to help further transform your body into the fit and toned look you want.

Also be careful with eating back calories- with your daily calorie goal set so low you do want to eat back some for sure, but be wary of excessively high calorie burn estimates. I've seen some crazy fit bit or myfitnesspal estimates in the thousands of calories range for simply walking or an hour of exercise. If you continue to not see loss after a couple of months then it could be from eating back too much.

But for now it sounds like you're on the right track and just need to be patient.

Hiya! Thanks SO much for the detailed response! I know it sounds low but if my fitbit calories are correct, and I think they are because I only get like an extra 500 calories added to the 1200 (sedentary setting), and that is walking over 13000 steps a day... which sounds normal, right?

I've been trying to eat vegan, as much as possible, for my conscience. I have the odd yoghurt or chocolate, or ham/chicken, but I know thats a long lifestyle process. So I've been having the odd protein bar or greek yoghurt to get my protein up... and chickpeas. I think I just have this fear that I'll think I'm doing well and then in two months time someone will point out that I've been living in Opposite World. :neutral:
    You just need to be a bit more patient I think

You're definitely right. I'm just being a spoiled millennial. I want it NOW. :P but this is all about patience and consistency, not quick fixes. Thanks for commenting. You're very kind.

You can do it just stick to it!

You too! We got this! <3
    I started at 1200 sedentary in Jan last year and immediately gained 5lbs! I stuck with it and lost over 72lbs in the year. If you're confident that you're really measuring (with scales) and recording absolutely everything you eat and drink, just be patient. It'll come off even without exercise.

Thank you SO much. A real account helps, because I feel like I'm doing something wrong to not already see results, but I know I'm just being irrational. This journey will AT LEAST teach me some patience, I hope, as well as good habits.

• LittleDoodlePoodle
    Options
    everher wrote: »
    OP, just be patient. :)

I've been doing this for a while and I've definitely had weeks where I've only loss a small amount of weight or my weight was high due to water retention or from hormones.

I'd say with you introducing exercise your body is most likely just retaining water. I'd bet in another week or so you'll see a big loss.

Yeah, i know I'm jumping the gun, but it's therapeutic to voice my paranoia... My poor body is so confused by burpees it'll take a decade to calm down, I'd say! :wink:

• red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    i think we all get discouraged sometimes , for example my scale didnt show what i wanted it to show this week ,, and i know why i think ,, but i also know quitting is not the answer . i did eat better than what i could have eaten and know that and should still be in a deficit ,, just gotta plug along and not give up ,, cause i know that wont work

good luck
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    OP, did you set your weight-loss for 2lbs per week? With your starting weight and goal weight, you might want to look at 1 or 1.5 pounds per week. You're not that far off from a healthy weight for your height and once you get into the "normal weight zone" weight-loss can go a lot slower.

Adjusting your goal and expectations will give you some more calories with which to work. This may make your life changes easier to stick with in the long term as well as make the shift into maintenance easier.

Measurements and a weight-trending app might also help you view your progress and goals differently. Happy Scale (iPhone) and Libra (Android) look at your progress over time and help you see the big picture, which can lessen the freakout over daily weigh-ins. You'll understand better how food, hormones and exercise affect your weight.

If you search for Kayla BBG in the forums, you'll find threads other folks have started and can connect with peeps doing the same workout as you, if that kind of connection helps you. I don't do that myself, but I know I've seen quite a few threads about it on here.

Just keep moving forward. Everyone has days where they're over, days where they don't exercise, days where they just don't wanna. Forgive yourself and move on. Nobody's perfect. Slow and steady (and consistent) really does win the race. :blush:
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    To the poster who said you don't lose much weight without exercise. I lost 160 pounds in less than 9 months without exercise. Calorie deficit only. You don't know what you are talking about.
  • LittleDoodlePoodle
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    OP, did you set your weight-loss for 2lbs per week? With your starting weight and goal weight, you might want to look at 1 or 1.5 pounds per week. You're not that far off from a healthy weight for your height and once you get into the "normal weight zone" weight-loss can go a lot slower.

Adjusting your goal and expectations will give you some more calories with which to work. This may make your life changes easier to stick with in the long term as well as make the shift into maintenance easier.

Measurements and a weight-trending app might also help you view your progress and goals differently. Happy Scale (iPhone) and Libra (Android) look at your progress over time and help you see the big picture, which can lessen the freakout over daily weigh-ins. You'll understand better how food, hormones and exercise affect your weight.

If you search for Kayla BBG in the forums, you'll find threads other folks have started and can connect with peeps doing the same workout as you, if that kind of connection helps you. I don't do that myself, but I know I've seen quite a few threads about it on here.

Just keep moving forward. Everyone has days where they're over, days where they don't exercise, days where they just don't wanna. Forgive yourself and move on. Nobody's perfect. Slow and steady (and consistent) really does win the race. :blush:

I confess I tried to do 2 pounds per week but it wouldn't let me. It's set me at 1.3 pounds per week, so that's not the issue. And to be honest, i'm not struggling at all to stay under my calorie goal. If I go over, I hit the treadmill a little bit longer. If I'm under, and not hungry, I don't eat anything just for the sake of hitting a number. Like yesterday I wasn't hungry but due to exercise I still had like 1000 calories to hit net 1200. So I had a banana dipped in peanut butter, to get closer to goal but to not eat all my exercise calories back?
  • LittleDoodlePoodle
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »
    i think we all get discouraged sometimes , for example my scale didnt show what i wanted it to show this week ,, and i know why i think ,, but i also know quitting is not the answer . i did eat better than what i could have eaten and know that and should still be in a deficit ,, just gotta plug along and not give up ,, cause i know that wont work

good luck

I definitely don't want to give up, but I also don't want to find out in a month that I was doing something wrong?