Does anyone go to the gym alone?

Options

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Occasionally I will text a friend or two when I am heading out, just letting them know that I will be there and if they are interested they are welcome to join me. Mostly I am thinking about having someone join me for breakfast afterward though :)
    I would say 90% of the time I go on my own. The rest of the time I go with my daughter.

Eventually if you stick with it, you will value the quality alone time at the gym, get lost in the world and find the strength inside to carry on. Friends can help, but obviously there will be times when they distract you or are not as dedicated as you.
  • RemoteOutpost
    RemoteOutpost Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I always go alone and with a scowl on my face.
  • schwest76
    schwest76 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    When I go alone I get done ALOT faster! I like the gym but don't want to hang out all day.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Though I GO alone now, I've spent countless hours in the weight room over the past couple years and definitely have "gym friends" now. It's really like a second home.
  • emd2570
    emd2570 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my alone time at gym - I listen to my music - I interact w people all day at work lol this is the last place I want to talk to people

quote="dniania;10502310"]I bought my friend a gym membership because we both wanted to lose weight now...she's backing out of going to the gym...and doesn't really want to go anymore so I have to go alone from now on...how can I motivate myself to go alone I rather have my friend with me but oh well[/quote]

• angelahammon
    angelahammon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Get your gym gear on and head to the gym!!, I sometimes go to the gym with my husband and we do our own thing but the last few weeks iv been going on my own, at first i felt nervous but now its habit, you will feel so proud of yourself once you step foot in the door!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    dniania wrote: »
    I bought my friend a gym membership because we both wanted to lose weight now...she's backing out of going to the gym...and doesn't really want to go anymore so I have to go alone from now on...how can I motivate myself to go alone I rather have my friend with me but oh well

I go alone...I love going to the gym...it's my "me" time. I dislike training with others unless it's a group ride...I primarily lift in the gym and would rather just do that on my own. I have made a lot of friends in the gym over the last four years as well which has been a net positive as I have more fitness friends now than non fitness friends.
  • asrai50
    asrai50 Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I go alone. I prefer it that way. I can go whenever I want, stay as long as I want and workout on what I want. I just take some earbuds with me and off I go!
  • Rushbrook60
    Rushbrook60 Posts: 95 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I go to the gym three to four times a weeks. Two of those days, I go alone. I used to be really reserved but I then realised that no matter what size we are, we are all there for fitness, whether it be to loose/maintain weight, train for a race like the marathon, race for life or 5k run, or simply because it's an enjoyed activity that helps keep you healthy, so why should I be reserved? I started by simply commenting on someone's performance one day...I was in awe of how easy they made it look and how fantastic they looked for doing it...and you know what, not only did I make a friend, I now have another gym buddy and I left with some insight on how other people train. I also felt great for making someone smile.

My big goal this year is to loose weight before I go on holiday, so I can look at myself in the mirror and actually like what I see. My holiday this year is a big deal to me because it'll be my first holiday abroad in 14 years. I don't have a number I want to reach on the scales, I simply want to look trimmer and feel healthier before my holiday. My weight loss journey won't stop there as I have a long way to go but it will be a start. That one thing keeps me going...I want to be healthier...not want as in give it a half hearted attempt, but want as in with a real passion. I'm nearly a year into my journey so far, 2 stone lighter and a lot fitter than I once was. I still have at least another 9 stone to go...BUT I will do it.

Find your passion and make it drive you forwards...and remember, you can talk to anyone at the gym because they aren't judging you. You'll see those people again and they'll become your new gym buddies.

You've got this! You don't need anyone to hold your hand. You are strong and beautiful!
  • tomorrowistoday0000
    tomorrowistoday0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I go alone almost all the time unless a friend ask me to wait for them. My biggest thing is I'm there to work hard not chit chat. I think you're just intimidated because you're new to it but that will change the more you go. Remember, don't depend on others for your success, prove how bad you want it.
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i prefer going alone
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I only go alone. I don't like to chat, I really don't have the time. But I go same time every day and see the same people all the time and have made friends.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I have only gone to the gym alone. Even when my boyfriend and I both had memberships to the same gym, our work hours were different so we went at different time (we joined together to get the discount - we went to small independent gyms). It is nice to go alone because you don't have to wait for anyone and you don't have to hurry if anyone wants to leave
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I used to want to train alone- and I could never get anyone to train with me- so I started going alone (back in college)- now I actually don't really like lifting with other people. I prefer going alone.
  • ianwhite4
    ianwhite4 Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yes I do but I have a personal trainer to encourage me to go and help me work on losing weight

123590528.png
  • mistygrt
    mistygrt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I prefer to go alone. I'm a single mom with two jobs. It's my sanity break from life. Also, most of my female friends don't lift. They want to do a whole different kind of workout than me and talk the whole time. Make a good music playlist,put on some headphones and go.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Yea, I think a lot of people do. Plan what you want to do that day, although you may deviate from it if you prefer, just so you have a base. Bring some music you like with earbuds. Bring your water bottle. Do some stretching or walk a lap in between sets.
  • Rushbrook60
    Rushbrook60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Something I've noticed from a lot of posts on here is that a lot of people are very much against the idea of training with someone, as if by training with someone means you talk more than you workout. Don't take this as gospel...many people, like myself, can workout successfully whilst communicating with other people intermittently. I spend an hour in the gym, move between machines and burn somewhere between 500 and 600 calories per visit. Talking to other people doesn't have to mean distraction or routine disturbance and it certainly doesn't make for a lazy workout!