Question about daily calories and calories burned

Options
antonyfrn
antonyfrn Posts: 5 Member
edited January 2017 in Getting Started
Sorry if this isn't the right place little bit confused by this, I have MFP set so my daily calorie in take it to lose 2lb per week. So I have a daily calorie goal of 1820.

So today I've eaten 1268 Cals this is where it has confused me I can see that the data from my fit bit when I went to the gym this morning I burned 620cals for some reason MFP seems to add this to what I've eaten.

Shows like this

Goal 1820
Food 1268 + 620 Exercise = 1888Net

Shouldn't this be shown like this.
Goal 1820
Food 1268 - 620 Exercise = 648Net

Also it shows Calories Remaining as -68 for today.

So I'm a bit lost should I be eating more than I do, as I try to eat at least 1200 coals a day.

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    anything you burn calorie wise MFP adds it back to your calories. MFP goes by the neat method. so when you burn those calories it gets added back because you are supposed to eat your calories back since MFP has your deficit built in already,any exercise just gives you a bigger deficit.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    anything you burn calorie wise MFP adds it back to your calories. MFP goes by the neat method. so when you burn those calories it gets added back because you are supposed to eat your calories back since MFP has your deficit built in already,any exercise just gives you a bigger deficit.

Yes, but what the OP is saying is that the app seems to be working backwards -- it's adding exercising calories to food already eaten, not to the goal calories for the day.

Shows like this

Goal 1820

Goal 1820

OP, do you have negative adjustments enabled for the FitBit connection to MFP?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Yes, but what the OP is saying is that the app seems to be working backwards -- it's adding exercising calories to food already eaten, not to the goal calories for the day.

Shows like this

Goal 1820

Goal 1820

OP, do you have negative adjustments enabled for the FitBit connection to MFP?

yeah,got ya just misread it lol.OP are you using the phone app or the web page? may be a glitch unless you have negative adjustments enabled
  • antonyfrn
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm using the web site I do have Enable Negative Adjustments on, it does look like the site is doing something wrong.

But should I be eating more or sticking to around 1200cals, this is where I'm partly confused.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    antonyfrn wrote: »
    I'm using the web site I do have Enable Negative Adjustments on, it does look like the site is doing something wrong.

But should I be eating more or sticking to around 1200cals, this is where I'm partly confused.

If you're reasonably confident in the count for the exercise calories, go ahead and eat at least some of them back. Most people say 50 to 75%, but I go up to 100% if I'm hungry (or sometimes I use the leftover calories the next day, because I find some types of exercise suppresses my appetite in the short term, but then I'm ravenous the next day).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited January 2017
    Options

if you are male you should be netting no less than 1500 calories per day.1200 calories is the minimum for a sedentary woman,elderly or very short(or all 3).
  • antonyfrn
    edited January 2017
    Options

if you are male you should be netting no less than 1500 calories per day.1200 calories is the minimum for a sedentary woman,elderly or very short(or all 3).

Thanks that's possibly part of where I've been going wrong. what frustrated me was that when I weighted my self properly since the last time I had I've gained weight but gone down in cloth sizes.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If the exercise is new, your body can retain enough water for repair to mask your losses. The MFP target given has the deficit for weight loss in there already. Although, if FitBit is subtracting calories, you may be more sedentary (throughout the day) than you realize. When I'm working, I burn cals like crazy, but when I'm off, I'm pretty much a slug, except exercise. What this means is that I need to be aware of how many of those extra exercise calories I consume on my off work days. The exercise counterbalances the slug. Does that make sense?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Thanks that's possibly part of where I've been going wrong. what frustrated me was that when I weighted my self properly since the last time I had I've gained weight but gone down in cloth sizes.

like nutmegoreo said it could be water weight. or it could be that while your weight has gone up you(due to water) you could have lost fat. I know for me lately I have lost fat, my scale is going up,but I know its because Im retaining water. my clothes are looser than they were,yet the scale numbers havent went down in awhile. that can happen too.
  • AnastasiaGrs1
    AnastasiaGrs1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Do not worry about the calories!!! You have to eat enough...especially when you work out. Your body has to know that you are eating enough and it doesn't need to save some of the calories as fat, in case it needs more energy. Try to build muscle! ;)
  • AnastasiaGrs1
    AnastasiaGrs1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    One more thing, if the scale doesn't go down it means; either your body is shocked and it is retaining water or you are losing fat , but you gain muscle :)
    (There are some weight scales that show you your fat% and muscle%)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    One more thing, if the scale doesn't go down it means; either your body is shocked and it is retaining water or you are losing fat , but you gain muscle :)
    (There are some weight scales that show you your fat% and muscle%)

those scales are highly inaccurate. and you would have to gain the same amount of muscle that you lost in fat for the scale to not move. highly doubt thats what it is.
  • antonyfrn
    Options
    Thanks for the help.