Soy/Almond milk

Options
Bobbr2
Bobbr2 Posts: 10 Member
i am a skim milk drinker. Could someone enlighten me on soy/almond milk craze? i've been told it is "better" for you. looking at them in the store, it's confusing. so many flavors, sweetened/unsweetened.....etc. appears there are more calories and fat if you ask me. i do not have lactose issues. thanks!

Replies

• roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    If you're fine with your skim milk, and don't want to drink a different type of milk then don't. No need to force yourself to consume something you don't want to. I personally like to drink almond milk because I have lactose issues and it tastes good to me.
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I drink earths own unsweetened almond milk. 35 calories per cup and 3 grams of fat. I cook with it and use it for cereal.
    I made the switch a few years ago and haven't looked back. Coconut milk too is also good and very yummy!
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I drink plant based milks because I do have some digestive issues with some forms of dairy, and, while not totally dairy free, I try to contribute to the dairy industry as little as possible for ethical reasons (my damn cheese habit is hard to kick).

I'm not s big milk drinker, so even with almond milk (my preferred variety), I don't often sit down with a big glass. I do like it because it can sit on the shelf until opened, so I can keep cartons in the pantry for cooking and baking, and not worry about a) milk spoiling or b) having to run out to get milk for a recipe I suddenly decide I want to make!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste of nut milks.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you're seeing the fat- virtually every non-dairy milk I've seen is little to no fat. And unsweetened is usually 0g sugar.

I switched to almond and soy a while back due to the lower calories count- skim milk is 90 cal vs unsweetened almond which is about 40. I hate skim milk anyway and even 1% or 2% I never liked much, so the extra calories weren't worth it for me. I much prefer the taste of non-dairy milks. I did eventually try to switch back to dairy milk and lo and behold it turned out I have a lactose sensitivity. I also enjoy the variety I can get with non dairy milks. Cashew milk is wonderfully creamy, coconut milk goes great in my smoothies, almond has a nice nutty taste that compliments certain teas or coffees etc.

If you like skim milk keep drinking it. But if you're lukewarm to dairy milk like I was and are looking for an easy way to cut a few calories here and there, an unsweetened non-dairy milk is an great way to make a small change that can add up.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I drink skim, my husband, who is lactose intolerant, drinks soy milk in his coffee/tea, almond milk with his breakfast cereal or oatmeal.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I drink silk almond milk because I'm lactose intolerance. No craze here. Same as gluten. I have celiac disease so no gluten craze in this household lol
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I like cashew milk. It's creamier than almond. Silk makes an almond/cashew nutmilk with 10 G protein per 8 oz, more protein than in most plant milks except maybe soy, which upsets my stomach. All the plant milks taste great and most have added calcium and vitamins equal to dairy milk.

I drink plant milk because I'm a vegetarian and that's my lifestyle. I also find cutting dairy out helps me to control my cholesterol levels.