Mung beans

Options
Is good for you

Replies

• omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    A lot of Korean dishes use it. I eat them but it's often combined with other foods and I'm not sure what the nutritional breakdown is just the mung bean.
  • amadnurse
    amadnurse Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just boil it with lots of water and drink it like barley juice. But here is the info :)

• Good source of protein
    • Good source of dietary fiber (helps to lower cholesterol, prevents constipation and keeps you feeling full)
    • Low in sodium
    • Low in cholesterol
    • Vitamins: A, B Vitamins (Thiamin, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid) Vitamin E, Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Vitamin K.
    • Minerals: Calcium, Potassium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Zinc, Copper and Manganese.
    • Sprouted Green Mung Beans produce live enzymes
    • Mung Beans are low on the glycemic index at 25 and have a low glycemic load of 4 making them a smart food choice for diabetics. Diabetics can safely eat Green Mung Beans. The low glycemic index, fiber and protein help to regulate blood sugar.
    • They also contain skin anti-aging properties that stimulate the production of hyaluronic acid, collagen, and elastin, all essential to younger healthier skin.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mung beans are awesome.
  • amadnurse
    Options
    Yes they are
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Don't they have nearly 500 kcals in a cup? I love them but don't eat them very often.
  • amadnurse
    Options
    No. 1 cups of cooked bean 212 calories. Low glycemic index food so it's really good for diabetic patients to maintain normal blood sugar.
    Green Mung Bean Nutritional Information
    • High in Protein
    • High in Fiber
    • Low in Fat
    • Low in Calories

Nutritional Facts: 1 oz (28 grams) of dried Green Mung Beans:
    • 100 Calories
    • 0g Fat
    • 5g Fiber
    • 7g Protein (Protein equivalent to 1 hardboiled egg or 1 oz of chicken, turkey, salmon, etc.)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    Have never eaten them as beans but have eaten them after converting then into bean sprouts.
  • amadnurse
    Options
    Bean sprout even better