Is it necessary to soak oats?

Options
I've looked this up online, some sources say yes because it removes acid but another source sited a study that showed soaking only removed 25% of the acid so it made little difference.

I've seen bodybuilders (in videos) just eating them straight out of the packet and/or mixing them with protein.

I'd love to not have to soak oaks, it would make life a little easier

Replies

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Whether it makes little difference or a lot depends on how often you eat them. The phytic acid is in more than just oats so if you are also eating a lot of beans or grains you would be getting it from those sources also. If you feel that it would benefit you nutritionally to soak all of your grains then go ahead. But I have yet to figure out how soaking alone would do much. because:
    1) WHERE does the phytic acid go? Is it carried away by faries? Rendered neutral by the act of soaking?
    2) How much of the phytic acid is neutralized?
    3) Should something be added to the soaking water?
    4) Should the water be changed after soaking?
    There is a lot of conflicting info on this.
    I do soak my almonds sometimes but only because I like the way the almonds turn out after soaking.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of soaking oats so I've never done it. I will continue not soaking them.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Never heard of doing that. Soaking beans, yes, but not oats.
    Most popular oats in America are old-fashioned and instant which are both processed to some extant, tho. Soaking instant oats would probably, I imagine, disintegrate the oats.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Never heard of doing that. Soaking beans, yes, but not oats.
    Most popular oats in America are old-fashioned and instant which are both processed to some extant, tho. Soaking instant oats would probably, I imagine, disintegrate the oats.

I eat them almost every day and I've never soaked them, never heard of this!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list of someone who has never heard of soaking oats.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    You mean like steel cut oats? I eat the regular old-fashioned oats just damp with hot water and butter.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI for us not in the know about such things:
    http://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2013/07/the-science-behind-soaking-grains/

Disclaimer: not intended to impart any specific science behind this practice, I just googled that sh**.
  • julescba04
    julescba04 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I soak oats so I don't have to cook them
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Do you have to? No. Do I believe it's beneficial? Yes. I tend to have a lot of trouble digesting grains in general, but soaking and/or sprouting them tends to make digesting them a little easier for me. With oats, I usually make them like I would a recipe for overnight oats and just warm them on the stove in the morning.

Bonus: When they're soaked overnight, oats are super quick to cook in the morning since you just have to heat them up!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Interesting. My mum always used to soak rolled oats in water overnight, and dad still does it now. I always thought it was just to make them cook faster in the morning but maybe there was more to it than that.
  • Dar_Line86
    Dar_Line86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I never heard of soaking oats. Learn something new everyday...