How to lose weight/get fit at 50 years old? Help!

Options
annettedifelice
annettedifelice Posts: 18 Member
edited January 2017 in Motivation and Support
Finding that I can't lose weight by simply cutting calories and being a bit active anymore. I seem to have low metabolism but generally eat healthy. So now I am 50, sad, out of shape, and forty pounds overweight! Anyone have tips or experience to share? All posts seem to be from/ for younger participants.

Replies

• annettedifelice
    Options
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    52, and have lost weight successfully using MFP. I find that it is even more important to accurately track and log your food. I use my food scale pretty faithfully. I used to be able to be more casual about it...I could just track "banana medium", taking the couple of seconds to weight that banana is important. When your calories are low, they all count even more!

Excercise is the bonus...will help you tone, feel healthier and happier. Feel free to friend me, I tend to have friends in our general age group so we can share similar experiences and challenges!
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Eat less than TDEE but more than BMR. Try to gain muscle mass and do strength training to increase metabolism. Consume adequate protein. How is your nutrition?
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    What is "a bit active"? What does that mean for you?

Have you done a lot of dieting in the past?
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Same as you did at 20 years old. It'll just come off a bit slower.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    The basic weight loss equation is the same now as before, though the numbers may have changed. You may have to eat less than you did when you were younger, especially if you've lost muscle as you age. Also, thyroid problems are much more common in older women than young. If you have regular checkups with your doctor that's likely already been checked at your age but if not you should. An underactive thyroid can make weight very difficult but is totally treatable.

I think exercise and proper diet become much more important when trying to lose weight as an older woman. This is the time when we tend to lose bone and muscle. It's important to work to keep those. Make sure you exercise routine includes resistance and you are getting proper nutrition, especially calcium and vitamin D.

I'm 53 and have been able to lose the weight I wanted (30ish lbs) and keep it off for a year. But yeah, whether mental or physical I found/find it takes a little more work than it did when I was younger.

Best of luck to you!
  • psposey
    psposey Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My most consistent path in loosing or at least not gaining weight was persistent AND accurate logging of what I ate, portion management, and replacing a big lunch with smaller snack sized meals during my workday. In a perfect week I work out 4-5 days alternating weights and cardio - stationary bike and elliptical because the old knee doesn't agree with the impact of running anymore.
  • hcolligan
    hcolligan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was 51 when I started to lose weight and exercise. I've lost 73 lbs by eating at a deficit and weighing everything. I started working out at home with Jillian Michaels DVDs and then strong lifts. I've recently got into running and am hoping to run a 5 k in Feb. We are spring chickens compared to Charles Eugster, who I read about this morning. He is 97 and took up body building at 87 and sprinting at 95!!
  • FlufferCat
    FlufferCat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Having a check up with your doctor would be a great idea.Middlehaitch is right about the hormone,and thyroid issues.It would be helpful to see where you stand at fifty on your important health markers.
    But really considering the advances in modern medicine,50 shouldn't be looked at as old age.You can have many years of healthy,happy,productive life ahead of you.

Besides the effects of going over your basic calorie needs adding weight.There's also the effect of what's called Sarcopenia in older people.It means loss of flesh.Really it's loss of muscle.Less muscle = less active calorie using tissue.That's a real problem for the metabolism of older people.You get weak,and flabby.
    Do look into the possibility of joining a gym/fitness center that has a program for teaching mature people how to do basic strength training exercises.It will help more than you can imagine.
    You could search for programs online too.Learn to do some simple dumbbell exercises.
    You can start with simple body weight exercises at home if you want.
  • annettedifelice
    Options
    beaglady wrote: »
    I'm 58. I sit at a desk all day for my job. I don't have time to exercise very much. I've still lost 30 pounds since July by logging what I eat, and making sure I'm at a deficit. Before I started logging, I always thought I 'ate healthy' too, and mostly I did, but in quantities that caused me to gain weight.

Just set up your current weight and activity level on MFP, along with a reasonable goal like 1# loss per week. Get a food scale if you don't have one, and start keeping track of what you eat for a week or so, without worrying too much about adjusting your intake. Then you can review those results and look for ways to cut back on your food intake or modify your cooking methods to reduce calories.

It really is that simple.

Thank you. It is simple, yet so hard. I have started measuring and wrighting my food. Many of you are correct, I was SO wrong about what I was eating! Thanks for your support.
  • annettedifelice
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    52, and have lost weight successfully using MFP. I find that it is even more important to accurately track and log your food. I use my food scale pretty faithfully. I used to be able to be more casual about it...I could just track "banana medium", taking the couple of seconds to weight that banana is important. When your calories are low, they all count even more!

Excercise is the bonus...will help you tone, feel healthier and happier. Feel free to friend me, I tend to have friends in our general age group so we can share similar experiences and challenges!

You are so right. Started measuring food and was wrong about my estimates. Trying to add exercise. I will keep you posted. Thanks for your support!
  • annettedifelice
    Options
    Eat less than TDEE but more than BMR. Try to gain muscle mass and do strength training to increase metabolism. Consume adequate protein. How is your nutrition?

I have started making my calories count with nutritional food. Sorry for the dumb questions but what are TDEE and BMR? Thanks for your suggestions!
  • annettedifelice
    Options
    What is "a bit active"? What does that mean for you?

Have you done a lot of dieting in the past?

I have done a lot of dieting in the past by cutting calories. I work (sitting) FT so my exercise is walking the dog and chasing children