Working out on an empty stomach?

Options
This morning I rode on the bike for about 45 min and burned around 100calories on an empty stomach. Should I still log that on here?? Does working out on an empty stomach in the morning give you some wiggle room for more calories?? I feel like I shouldn't log it because it would subtract 100 calories off of the total calories I had today.. meanwhile I ate those calories after the workout. Im sorry if this is confusing. I'm not sure how to word it!

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Empty or full stomach doesn't matter. But yeah, that's the idea. Exercise gives you more calories to eat.
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    How did you measure the calorie burn? 100 calories seems awfully low for a 45 min bike ride! I ran 40 mins this am and burned 400 calories (some hill running increased the burn a little). Try to figure out a better way of determining calories burned based on your gender, age, weight and height. I would say that whether you eat before or after exercise is down to energy requirements and personal preference. I drink coffee and lots of water only before morning run and eat when I get home. In regards to logging and eating back exercise calories, I would say stick to your MFP calorie intake goal and eat some of your exercise calories back if you are hungry. Also, not sure if you are trying to lose, gain or maintain weight? If you are trying to lose weight, just focus on creating a deficit between calories in and calories out. Hope that helps a little!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    1) Empty or full stomach makes no difference
    2) Eating back exercise calories is a personal choice
    3) If you do eat them back, be aware that calorie burns are overestimated so you could eat 40-75% back.
  • DanLoginov
    DanLoginov Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This morning I rode on the bike for about 45 min and burned around 100calories on an empty stomach. Should I still log that on here?? Does working out on an empty stomach in the morning give you some wiggle room for more calories?? I feel like I shouldn't log it because it would subtract 100 calories off of the total calories I had today.. meanwhile I ate those calories after the workout. Im sorry if this is confusing. I'm not sure how to word it!

You will be in a state of ketosis, it's all good man, it's a decent way to lose weight.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    There are people who think working out on an empty stomach is beneficial. However, you burn the same number of calories whether your stomach is empty or not. Log your exercise and what you eat.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    There are people who think working out on an empty stomach is beneficial. However, you burn the same number of calories whether your stomach is empty or not. Log your exercise and what you eat.

There are benefits of fasted cardio for lean individuals (<10% males, <16% females) but agree that calories burned are the same.