Chinese saboteur

Options
TessaL221
TessaL221 Posts: 106 Member
Ok, I ate Chinese last night. Chicken with broccoli and steamed white rice. I stayed within my calories, but still this morning I'd put on weight.... I weigh every day, and though I'm not really too concerned with the scale (try not to be), it seems every time I eat Chinese this happens... Has anyone else ever noticed that? Do I have to give up Chinese altogether or face # disappointment in the morning?

Replies

• Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    It is not the food itself; it is the water retention from the sodium content within the chinese food. High levels of sodium within the body helps to retain water.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Chinese is SUPER high sodium. That could be the problem.
  • ericadesiree
    Options
    It's just from all the salt that's in the food. Your body is retaining water! Drink a lot of water throughout the day and you will be fine! :)
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Chinese food, or at least non authentic Chinese food, is very starchy. If you eat it earlier in the day it usually doesn't affect the scale. I avoid eating rice, that usually helps too.
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    Too much salt! Just try to flush it out w water and don't add to it by eating anything too salty. It'll come off today or tomorrow.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: If I hadn't already changed my Username the maximum number of times, I would for sure have tried to change my name to ChineseSaboteur - nice!!

Chinese take-out, like all restaurant food, is full of sodium. It is possible that the sodium has caused you to retain water, thus the extra weight. Though it seems counterintuitive, a lot of folks here recommend drinking even more water to flush all the sodium out.
    I know this doesn't sound like it would work, but I was up at least 5# from Thanksgiving last year from eating salty, buttery foods and it went away after I went back to eating better and drinking plenty of water during the following week.

Good luck!
  • lauram1153
    lauram1153 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thinking the same as above its water from all the rubbish in chineses(i love chinese) don't think its such a good idea to weigh every day as the scales can really fluctuate once a week will give you a much better reading and you'll not worry so much i used to be terrible for going on the scales all the time am trying to stick to once a week now.
  • sheer_abulous
    Options
    Don't be disappointed in the mornings, we all have a treat once in a while and like everyones said Chinese food has high amounts of sodium so it's all water you're holding! You've lost 82lbs and that is commendable! don't knock yourself down, you're doing so well!
  • TessaL221
    TessaL221 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I knew chinese was high in sodium which is why for the rest of the day I ate very low sodium. I Just assumed that if I stayed under the 2500, it would still be ok. Come to think of it though, I didn't drink but 3 glasses of water yesterday (BAD BAD! lol), so that could be it.

I weigh every day but only record on Monday. Note to self: Next time you have a cheat day and eat Chinese, make it Monday night... not Sunday ;)