Body seizing up. Muscle spasms. HELP?

Hey, it's been a while. Hope everyone is doing good. Just got back into working out again in the past week. I've been back on the bike, lifting and doing great, diet wise. My problem is that my body Is seizing up. Today I had a really bad muscle spasm/twitching problem with my left arm. It was so bad I couldn't move it for a while. A hot shower helped a lot. But, now I was laying down and felt my left leg seizing up, almost like it was a Charlie horse. I know...."Google it." But why not come here, right to the source and ask you professionals, who've probably had this happen to them and who can give accurate advice? Before anyone says, YES, I HAVE EATEN BANANAS FOR POTASSIUM. Thanks.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    What about magnesium? I find that helps a lot with cramping/restless legs
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,359 Member
    edited January 2017
    Have you tried magnesium or tissue salts (one with a good dose of magnesium)?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Magnesium supplement too, and some stretching after the workouts of the muscles involved, or more if time allows.
    Enough sodium in case you went low sodium merely to lose water weight on diet. (because potassium isn't the only electrolyte)

Not too low carb eating if doing carb intensive burning workouts (high intensity, endurance, anaerobic, ect).

And back at it slower & easier, so body can actually recover and repair stronger.

• JulsA1963
    JulsA1963 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi there, I take high dosage Magnesium tablets as I get severe muscle cramps. It acts as a muscle relaxant when you are cramping up and as a preventative if taken on a regular basis . Cheers, Juls (NZ)
  • killdontmurder
    killdontmurder Posts: 142 Member
    I love you guys so much. Blessings. Thanks so much. Not something I really considered. And yes, I think we could all use more stretching. Thanks for the reminder. Have a good night.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    You need to check your diet. You're missing something or eating something your body does not like. You also need to up your water intake. 1 oz per 1lb of body weight and double that in the summer. Also make sure you're properly warming up, stretch after workouts and look up some mobility videos on YouTube. Those will help.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Do you sweat a lot? It could also be lack of salt. I live in the tropics, my FIL was working on our empty pool in the sun and sweating heaps, although he drank water so wasnt dehydrated. He got really bad cramps and a couple of slices of bread in soy sauce he was feeling much better.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    30kgin2017 wrote: »
    slices of bread in soy sauce

ot but i can't even imagine the state i'd need to be in to stomach somethign like that. i'd rather just drink the soy neat.

/ot. carry on.
  • chastineperkins
    chastineperkins Posts: 2 Member
    My doctor told me to take 5 tums a day for Magnesium. I just went and got some Magnesium tablets though and it worked fine.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    30kgin2017 wrote: »
    slices of bread in soy sauce

ot but i can't even imagine the state i'd need to be in to stomach somethign like that. i'd rather just drink the soy neat.

/ot. carry on.

Or eat some salt.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Hey, it's been a while. Hope everyone is doing good. Just got back into working out again in the past week. I've been back on the bike, lifting and doing great, diet wise. My problem is that my body Is seizing up. Today I had a really bad muscle spasm/twitching problem with my left arm. It was so bad I couldn't move it for a while. A hot shower helped a lot. But, now I was laying down and felt my left leg seizing up, almost like it was a Charlie horse. I know...."Google it." But why not come here, right to the source and ask you professionals, who've probably had this happen to them and who can give accurate advice? Before anyone says, YES, I HAVE EATEN BANANAS FOR POTASSIUM. Thanks.

You could ask an actual professional (yes, I know there's some here but it would be UNprofessional for anyone to give medical advice out on an app like this, whatever their qualifications).

A physiotherapist or GP might be the best kind of professional to look to.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    What's your hydration and salt intake like?
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    You also need to up your water intake. 1 oz per 1lb of body weight and double that in the summer.

Are we talking in a single day, here? You're saying I should be drinking 4.5 gallons of water every day in the summer? I would never leave the toilet.

• ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    When I get cramps it is usually because I'm short of fuel and possibly salts in the blood to fuel the muscles. For the amount of hydration you can do a test of weighing pre and post exercise and doing the maths. Or a simple urine test. If clear good and if straw or darker need to drink more
  • heybales
    lizery wrote: »

You could ask an actual professional (yes, I know there's some here but it would be UNprofessional for anyone to give medical advice out on an app like this, whatever their qualifications).

Not everyone has the funds for doing something like that on a matter that isn't exactly life altering it sounds like. It's just annoying and bothersome for a short bit getting back at it.
    If it keeps up and starts causing life issues and common solutions for common reasons have been confirmed tried - sure go another step up.

But to the professional with those expenses as first step rather than just gathering info first.....
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    My doctor told me to take 5 tums a day for Magnesium. I just went and got some Magnesium tablets though and it worked fine.

regular tums or dual action? the regular doesnt have magnesium in it but the dual action do
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    You need to check your diet. You're missing something or eating something your body does not like. You also need to up your water intake. 1 oz per 1lb of body weight and double that in the summer. Also make sure you're properly warming up, stretch after workouts and look up some mobility videos on YouTube. Those will help.

its been said to drink half your weight in oz of water not 1oz per lb. maybe you are confusing it with protein intake?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    Betting your electrolytes are off. When people seize up that I've seen, it's due to dehydration and lack of sodium.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    lizery wrote: »

Not everyone has the funds for doing something like that on a matter that isn't exactly life altering it sounds like. It's just annoying and bothersome for a short bit getting back at it.
    If it keeps up and starts causing life issues and common solutions for common reasons have been confirmed tried - sure go another step up.

But to the professional with those expenses as first step rather than just gathering info first.....

Sure. Best ask random people on the Internet.
  • heybales
    Yes - especially ask for those with no experience with it.
    Makes the most interesting effects.