sleeping immediately after exercising

Options
2»

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You're not spinning your wheels. You're still accomplishing your goals if you rest/sleep/nap right after. Similar to the, "Should I not eat before bed?" your body does not go into a coma-like stasis when you sleep; it's still working, repairing, replenishing.

The "don't exercise before bed" mantra has more to do with some people getting disrupted sleep from elevated blood pressure, heart rate, etc. Obviously, not everyone has sleep issues.

Keep doing what you're doing.
  • kanobikkdd
    Options
    it is false... but from my experience, i would recommend a protein snack or a recovery shake after ur workout and before goin to bed...
  • jdndfw
    jdndfw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well ive also been told that.. i workout 2hrs per day 6 days per week. I come home after my stretch, have lunch and sleep for a couple hours EVERY TIME. I have gone from 45% body fat to 13.6% body fat doing this. I dont know if there is any truth to it but it sure hasnt stopped me from benefiting. When i wake up from my nap everyday i can feel that ive worked out HARD but i feel recovered and rested and WONDERFUL. I say listen to your body and stay connected with your healthcare professional and keep he or she informed of these things. You will be fine.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It's complete load of rubbish. Sleeping is part of the bodies recovery system after being refuelled and getting protien in your system. Resting is just as important as the the exercise. I'm pretty sure I read once that pro cyclists will have an afternoon nap to aid their recovery and to improve. So if good enough for pros I can't see it doing any harm
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    big time zombie thread
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Your PE teacher was an idiot.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Does eating help the tiredness? I can get really tired and food will get me going again. This is often the case on the weekend as I forget to eat.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows that if you don't post about your workout on social media it didn't happen but sleeping after is a myth.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    but I still get this urge to want to take a nap after cooling my body down and stretching after a hard workout.

Your professor is talking rubbish, but one thing I would say, is this an almost unstoppable urge to sleep in that you just crash and burn? If you are experiencing this, it would be worth going to your GP and getting checked over. I had this and it turned out to be a symptom of anaemia and malabsorption caused by GI issues. My body was so stressed and imbalanced by the food absorption problems that the exercise was pushing it over the edge of tolerance.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    In yoga they do sivasana (not sure of spelling) at the end, just laying still on the floor in meditation to let the workout "soak into your body like ink into paper", and I seem to get the benefits of the exercise just fine.

I think a late workout and a night of sleep is an excellent strategy for recovery, personally. While you sleep your mucles heal. If my schedule permitted, I would like to do that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Lol, he's a professor? For some people it might be even more beneficial............................you can't eat while sleeping.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • peaclifehealth
    peaclifehealth Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think OP is referring to a nap, not going to bed for the day. On days you work out an hour (say you burn 500 calories) you feel like taking a two hour nap (during nap say you burn 100 calories at rest). Days you don't work out, you are awake doing things (ie-burning more calories- say 400 in place of the two hour nap plus one hour workout). Workout day-burned 600 calories in same 3 hr frame as non workout day where you would burn 400. So what your professor said would make sense if you wanted to maximize your total calorie burn for the day. I have often thought of the same thing,
  • chrismellor01
    chrismellor01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Slightly related - you can improve your condition whilst sleeping if you dream of improving your condition...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2013/jul/31/dreaming-help-you-run-faster

Article from The Guardian (also reported in Daily Fail at same time so your mileage may vary).