Hip pain/ Sciatica pain

Options
Any other runners ever suffer from sciatica pain during prolonged runs? Any remedies or suggestions are welcome. I started running about 2 years ago for weight loss and over all better health and Ive lost 130 lbs. Running has become a daily regimen for me but, about 4 months ago i started to have hip pain, not muscle pain because i know what that feels like. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Replies

• schwest76
    schwest76 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from both hip bursitis and sciatica pain. I went to physical therapy and was told the bursitis is a result of the lower back/sciatica pain. She also told me to really build up the core because that helps stabilize the spine and lets the muscles do what they are supposed to do. Hope that helps.
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've had sciatica on and off for 16 odd years after breaking my back; running did tend to flare it up as ultimately it's nerve pain in your lower back causing a pain down your left side (usually).

In the past, a combination of stretching my hip + back used to have temporary relief, I got one of those hard foam rollers and used to use that daily, and also having a course of acupuncture seemed to help release some of the muscles.

The other thing to check is your running posture and whether that may be causing a lack of alignment in your hips which can also flare up acupuncture, I actually put my hips out of alignment playing a lot of golf and had to go to a chiropractor for some manipulation therapy and traction.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'd see a good physical therapist. I've had true piriformis syndrome (recent surgery). If it's bothersome have it checked.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I'd talk to a PT about this for sure to make sure that nothing serious is wrong.

Saying that, I agree that daily foam rolling helps a lot.

Additionally, are you doing any strength training? My hip pain got a lot better when I started doing more focused work on my hamstrings and glutes in lifting. Running is so quad dominant and runners have weak glutes. Building them up has helped a lot.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I'd see a good physical therapist. I've had true piriformis syndrome (recent surgery). If it's bothersome have it checked.

My first thought was that this could be about the piriformis, not the sciatic nerve which runs through it. If your piriformis is inflamed, it may press on your sciatic nerve, causing pain. You may need to work on your running form. If you are mostly sitting when not running, that could be really bad for the piriformis. There are a lot of great stretches for the piriformis, I suggest googling that and trying those out.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    nokanjaijo wrote: »

My first thought was that this could be about the piriformis, not the sciatic nerve which runs through it. If your piriformis is inflamed, it may press on your sciatic nerve, causing pain. You may need to work on your running form. If you are mostly sitting when not running, that could be really bad for the piriformis. There are a lot of great stretches for the piriformis, I suggest googling that and trying those out.

Yes. Someone could also be unlucky enough to have the sciatic run through the belly of the muscle, or have suffered trauma (a fall at some point that damaged the nerve and inflamed the piriformis). Both in my case.

• nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options

Yes. Someone could also be unlucky enough to have the sciatic run through the belly of the muscle, or have suffered trauma (a fall at some point that damaged the nerve and inflamed the piriformis). Both in my case.

Oh dear :/

That can't be fun.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    When I get hip pain, it's because I'm over striding. Heel striking. When I shift to a midfoot, gliding stride, it stops hurting. Wearing minimalist running shoes helps me remember to focus on form.

My sciatica lead to permanent nerve damage (the outside, bottom half of my right leg -- knee to toe -- is completely numb), so don't let it fester. Get it checked out.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I pulled a glute muscle weight lifting,dont ask me how,I had proper form and warmed up before hand, and now I have issues with my sciatic nerve but its in my right leg not left.(my dad and grandma both had it in their right leg). its loads of fun(not).I have some kind of pain every day no matter what I do and its affected my flexibility. I foam roll and it helps some. Im going to look into stretched for sciatic nerve issues/pain. My dad(while alive) went to a chiropractor and that helped him tremendously. I would talk to a dr before doing anything though.I have always had hip pain, mine is in my hip flexors and I have to do a lot of stretching after working out and foam rolling or Im in pain.since Ive done that its helped with the hip
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Good points. For the OP do you sit a lot? When you sit, you are sitting on the irritated piriformis
  • DiamondEyezz
    DiamondEyezz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Search for a "Myomassage" therapist in your area. I would wake up with paralyzing pain in my lower back, hip and down my leg for over a year..
    .EVERY NIGHT...I was basically cured after only a few treatments! It is amazing!
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    From what I know of sciatica it is usually caused by a bulging disk pressing agains the nerve. I wonder if running, especially when overweight, causes the bulging disk by putting excess jolting pressure on it? Purely curious speculation here. Last time I tried running regularly I ended up seriously jacking up my lower back for months. Probably bad form or something.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'd see a PT. If it is sciatic pain, I wouldn't self treat. I did that. I had sciatic pain for years. Eventually my disc burst and I now I have paralysis down one leg all the way to my big toe, and my drop-foot walk is a bit of an issue with tripping myself.

I also have hip pain. Sciatic pain is in the butt. To me it felt like it was below the glute muscle. Hip pain on the other hand, is often in the front - at least arthritic pain is - and radiates down to the knee. It's deep but it's in the bone.

If you have outer butt/glute type of pain, sciatic is my guess.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    It's definitely worth getting to a good physiotherapist rather than self-diagnosing. I had running related hip pain when I was training for a half marathon and for me it was a combo of injuries to my ankle and foot on that side causing some gait problems plus being very weak in the core. I missed the half I was training for but managed another one later that year.
    But, there is no telling what is causing your pain - seeing an expert is well worth the money and time.
  • thielke2015
    thielke2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have been off exercise duties for 1 year.... I had a widespread hip bursitis which cleared up with physio and steroid injection. Core muscles defiantly address this issue and physio can give you exercises for this.
    I also had a Labral hip tear/injury ( same hip) and have been hoping to avoid surgery ....... which is why I gave been off exercise for a year. I have been told I should never jog/run again. I have a cam impingement.
    Labral injuries are quite distinctive in that you will get very bad groin pain and will not be able to weight bear
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I'd see a PT. If it is sciatic pain, I wouldn't self treat. I did that. I had sciatic pain for years. Eventually my disc burst and I now I have paralysis down one leg all the way to my big toe, and my drop-foot walk is a bit of an issue with tripping myself.

I also have hip pain. Sciatic pain is in the butt. To me it felt like it was below the glute muscle. Hip pain on the other hand, is often in the front - at least arthritic pain is - and radiates down to the knee. It's deep but it's in the bone.

If you have outer butt/glute type of pain, sciatic is my guess.

True
  • paperbeagle
    paperbeagle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Any other runners ever suffer from sciatica pain during prolonged runs?

I have ehlers danlos syndrome so even though i have never been able to run my whole life, I have ongoing sciatica and si joint issues. I have found that adequate stretching does help some but the keys for chronic issues are my osteopath, heat and pressure point massage. I know some people are skeptical of osteos - i was - but my gp recomended one who had been a physiotherapist first. It keeps me walking and more active than anyone thought possible. She uses pressure points too but very subtly and I get amazing results. I also use heat and cold over the nerve root to ease any associated inflammation

I would want to know why you were getting sciatic pain after execise though. It might just be how your body responds but it could mean something else is behind it. Get it examined first, preferrably with scans. There are normal things that cause it, like aging, but in healthy active people under a certain age, sciatic pain is uncommon. It can be a sign of more severe spine or nerve issues. From someone who lives with this more days than not.... get answers and treatment - not just home pain relief.
  • xizziz
    xizziz Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My doctor sent me to a physical therapist and the pain was excruciating the entire next week, so I am opting to get the steroid shot to reduce the inflammation which is causing the sciatica burning pain down leg.
  • xizziz
    xizziz Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    chgonzalez1978 My son has suffered from sciatica pain for many years and he is a lot younger than me - is in the trades - construction - I think blue collar workers don't suffer from it too much.
  • CoachBrafford
    CoachBrafford Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Man... do you sit alot during the day? The hip pain could be tightness or a shorting of say the IT band.
    But believe it or not... mine was from a stress fracture during my time in the military that changed the way I walked and ran.
    10 yrs later... my VMO went to crap, tons of hip, back and never pain.
    PT figured it out and we used bands, foam rollers & proper prehab and dynamic warmups to fix it.
    But yes... a foot or calf issue can make a hip issue.
    So please go see a PT.
    Good luck