Fierce 5?

Options
Anyone out there whose done this program. I'm a beginner(only been working out for 4 months) and I'm thinking of starting this. Anyone got any first hand experience of this program?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I haven't done this, it looks like a decent program -- but I see some issues with it.

There are no deadlifts, just Romanian deadlifts. RDL should not be substituted entirely for traditional or sumo deadlifts. No idea why they would do that...

secondly, it looks like it's geared towards body builders rather than power lifters, but there's no upper chest work. You'll want some incline bench pressing in a good bodybuilding routine.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    I haven't done this, it looks like a decent program -- but I see some issues with it.

There are no deadlifts, just Romanian deadlifts. RDL should not be substituted entirely for traditional or sumo deadlifts. No idea why they would do that...

secondly, it looks like it's geared towards body builders rather than power lifters, but there's no upper chest work. You'll want some incline bench pressing in a good bodybuilding routine.

I can understand why they would chose RDL, I know from the aworkoutroutine.com book, the author explains why he chose RDL over regular deadlifts and he states:

"The conventional deadlift is by far the hardest exercise to program because A) it trains so much of the lower and upper body (legs, back, etc.) and there’s a ton of overlap to consider and adjust for, and B) it’s more taxing on the body as a whole than any other exercise.

The RDL, on the other hand, is really just a posterior chain exercise (hamstrings, glutes, and some lower back), so it’s much less likely to interfere anywhere else as long as it’s properly programmed. The conventional deadlift is sort of the opposite of this, which is why I tend to go with RDLs by default in most of the muscle building programs I design… especially ones that use an upper/lower split."

So my guess is that the creator of Fierce 5 had the same idea as the creator of the site aworkoutroutine.com .Now if it bugs you that much, you can simply substitute RDL with the convential deadlift, it's not like there's a law against it. Test it out and see how your body feels doing them.

Well that's strange, that's pretty much the exact reason you should be doing traditional deadlifts haha.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »

I can understand why they would chose RDL, I know from the aworkoutroutine.com book, the author explains why he chose RDL over regular deadlifts and he states:

"The conventional deadlift is by far the hardest exercise to program because A) it trains so much of the lower and upper body (legs, back, etc.) and there’s a ton of overlap to consider and adjust for, and B) it’s more taxing on the body as a whole than any other exercise.

The RDL, on the other hand, is really just a posterior chain exercise (hamstrings, glutes, and some lower back), so it’s much less likely to interfere anywhere else as long as it’s properly programmed. The conventional deadlift is sort of the opposite of this, which is why I tend to go with RDLs by default in most of the muscle building programs I design… especially ones that use an upper/lower split."

So my guess is that the creator of Fierce 5 had the same idea as the creator of the site aworkoutroutine.com .Now if it bugs you that much, you can simply substitute RDL with the convential deadlift, it's not like there's a law against it. Test it out and see how your body feels doing them.

Well that's strange, that's pretty much the exact reason you should be doing traditional deadlifts haha.

FWIW, Lyle McDonald cites pretty much the exact same rationale for using RDLs instead of conventional deadlifts in his GBR (Generic Bulking Routine). Many people have repeatedly asked him if they can sub DL for RDL and he almost universally recommends against it within the context of the routine he designed.